Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-24-2012, 01:02 AM   #1
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
Kobo Vox worth $119.00?

Kobo Vox is selling for $119. tomorrow in a pre boxing day sale. I am wondering if it is worth it since it is discontinued I think.

I have a Glo and love it for reading in general and I also have a laptop and tend to read fiction when I go out so would likely take the Glo so I wonder if this tablet would be unnecessary. I just hate to pass up a bargain.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:12 AM   #2
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Interesting question. Here in Aus they are now $130AUD. So for a 7" tablet with SD card etc, probably an alright purchase.

I'm just looking into the USB/Charger issue. If I can find a way to charge without needing a Kobo charger I might grab one.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2012, 12:27 AM   #3
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Just ordered an Arc with a free Kobo mini. I decided the Vox probably wasn't a good idea. I am hoping the Arc is a good gadget.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
kingpr
kingpr began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Simple answer - don't be tempted. I got a Vox just before Christmas last year. The first one had to go back within the week. Next one was OK until about June when it would not restart (just got a green light flashing). Nothing would reset it. Kobo help were next to useless in the end I had to send it to the Netherlands (at a charge to myself of nearly £50). They sent a new one back as the original was not reparable. I then had to restock my books and apps.
Today the same thing happened again. I now have a useless bit of plastic with a green light flashing on it. I am not going to pay that money to have then fail to fix it. I will go out and buy myself something from a decent manufacturer. Do not waste your money.
kingpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:00 AM   #5
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
I wouldn't buy an Arc either. My next tablet will have the following as requirements:
1) Bluetooth so I can do Skype with a headset, keyboard, whatever.
2) GPS - for some amateur radio software I want to run when traveling.
3) Charge from standard USB 500 mAmp port. Who cares if it charges all night plugged into your laptop when you forget your charger and you're on a trip. At least you can charge it.
4) Built in micro SD slot such as the Vox has. I see no reason to spend extra $$$ on added internal storage which I will seldom if ever use when I can pop in a micro SD card for cheaper.

I'm glad I bought my Vox as I do use it but it's sluggish as a Web browser.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2012, 02:09 AM   #6
wrenn1
Addict

So which one would you get Tony?
Old 02-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #7
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Just a quickie, I'm still thinking of getting the Vox given the price. For reading it will be fine, and speed wise it is not really that different to my Motorola Defy mobile.

As Kobo no longer support the Vox in terms of....well anything, especially firmware fixes, how does the Vox go with updating the Kobo app? I understand Google Play is available on the Vox, but will installing the Kobo app from the play store integrate with the rest of the system as the preinstalled version does?
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:50 AM   #8
suedenim
Connoisseur
suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox
I asked about Vox support a month ago and have heard nothing. When the Arc was announced they made some noises about still supporting the Vox but it seems its dead to them. Don't be surprised if the Arc goes the same way.

To be fair though its not as though abandonment of slightly older products is exclusive to Kobo otherwise where's the incentive to buy the newer hardware.

I get the impression Samsung and the Nexus devices get better long term support. For unofficial support (i.e. android updates) best have a look at the xda forums and see what tablets are being worked on.
suedenim is offline   Reply With Quote