Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 06-10-2009, 11:37 AM   #31
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
What has killed PDF as an ebook format is DRM, which prevents customization.
I would argue what has "killed" PDF (which is the most popular eBook format--quite regardless of its poor showing on eBook reading hardware) is that publisher's don't yet care enough about eBook reading devices to put in the effort to make PDFs specifically for them.

Quote:
It would be perfectly possible today to bundle a few (3, say) PDFs with different font sizes into one ebook, either implicitly (define a wrapper format) or explicitly by providing multiple PDF files. This might fit in with many publisher's workflow better than reflowable ebooks.
Bingo! I think it's the most sensible and most professional way forward.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:47 AM   #32
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Could I get a link to that thread?
A Comparison of format limitations based on The Hobbit
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #33
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Interesting. Other people have reported a lack of success. Good to know that it works for some, at least.
I've removed the DRM from The Chambers dictionary as well as the Collins English to Spanish and Spanish to English dictionaries.

The program takes a long time to run, and on my first couple of tries I thought it wasn't going to work and cancelled it. When I left it to run, it eventually worked.

I guess dictionaries are big books and it takes a long time to remove the DRM.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:37 PM   #34
donbrubaker
Enthusiast
donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.donbrubaker understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Device: LB Mars, Voyage, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
The BeBook mini and 2 will support non-DRM mobi.
I'd love to know where you found this out. I was directed by Bebook to post the question on their support forum and they have yet to answer me...
donbrubaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:47 AM   #35
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by donbrubaker View Post
I'd love to know where you found this out. I was directed by Bebook to post the question on their support forum and they have yet to answer me...
http://www.ereaders.nl/bebook_mini?category_id=0

Last edited by Sweetpea; 06-12-2009 at 03:59 AM.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #36
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
I bought the Kindle Spanish-English translation dictionary and made it the default. The Kindle integration is very good. But, the dictionary is extremely limited. It is the Merriam-Webster which is the only one for sale on the Kindle website.

1) I was able to dedrm it and try it on MobiPocket on a laptop. It worked. I don't need a dictionary on the laptop since WordReference.com is just a click away. Now I strongly suspect that I can buy a different Spanish/English dictionary in MobiPocket format and use it on my Kindle - where an integrated dictionary is an asset.

2) What is a recommended Spanish/English translation dictionary in MobiPocket format?
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:17 PM   #37
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by asjogren View Post
I bought the Kindle Spanish-English translation dictionary and made it the default. The Kindle integration is very good. But, the dictionary is extremely limited. It is the Merriam-Webster which is the only one for sale on the Kindle website.

1) I was able to dedrm it and try it on MobiPocket on a laptop. It worked. I don't need a dictionary on the laptop since WordReference.com is just a click away. Now I strongly suspect that I can buy a different Spanish/English dictionary in MobiPocket format and use it on my Kindle - where an integrated dictionary is an asset.

2) What is a recommended Spanish/English translation dictionary in MobiPocket format?
Question 2 is probably what I will research soon. I have a good spanish to eng dictionary in paper form, and would like to add one to the Kindle too. Although I might opt out for the web version if there is nothing on the market.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:28 PM   #38
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
It is is not illegal already to buy region restricted books from another region it will probably soon be so this might not be any big advantage.
That more than DRM will "encourage" more readers turn to the darknet to source a copy of the ebook they are willing to pay for but cannot.

I have made the decision to remain with Mobipocket for the foreseeable future. Both my wife and I like the format and with Calibre conversion is simple and fast if required.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:58 PM   #39
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
Quote:
Ah, that's a very good thorough review of defficiencies.
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:04 PM   #40
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
I've removed the DRM from The Chambers dictionary as well as the Collins English to Spanish and Spanish to English dictionaries.

The program takes a long time to run, and on my first couple of tries I thought it wasn't going to work and cancelled it. When I left it to run, it eventually worked.

I guess dictionaries are big books and it takes a long time to remove the DRM.
Another one here. Just removed DRM from a Pons dictionary. It's almost 20MB and it takes ages, but it works.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:21 PM   #41
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
Is there a recommended Spanish-English translation dictionary in Mobi format?

The only one for Kindle is poor (Merriam-Webster). And after my post DeDRM test Kindle->MobiPocket, I now believe if I buy a better MobiPocket translation dictionary I can DeDRM and put it on my Kindle where I will actually use it.

I have no need on MobiPocket Reader - WordReference.com is the best.
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:27 PM   #42
mirphak
mirphak began at the beginning.

Device: none
I own a number of paper and eBook Spanish-English and Spanish-only dictionaries. The best Spanish-English dictionary is the Collins unabridged which unfortunately is not available in mobipocket. It is available online at http://mobile-dictionary.reverso.net/english-spanish. Of the available mobipocket e-book dictionaries I´d place them in this order:

HARRAPS (Much more complete than the following which are all abridged)
Cambridge Klett Compact
Merriam-Webster´s
Pocket Oxford

If Collins or Harraps doesn´t have the word I need then I go to my Spanish-only dictionaries listed below in order of usefulness:
Diccionario de la Lengua Española 2001 (RAE)
Diccionario General de la Lengua Española (Vox)
mirphak is offline   Reply With Quote