Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-08-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
What Would You Tell Your Clone?

I'm reading a book that is very surprising. "The Book of Adam: Autobiography of the First Human Clone". It is hard scifi wrapped in a very human story. It is one of the discount books that Karen (Koland) does such a great job with in the "Kindle Freebies" thread. I got free at iBooks just because I prefer the reading app. It's probably the same everywhere else as well.

In the book, clone "parents" are cloned and raised by their own children when the die. A recurring joke throughout the book is the song "I'm My Own Grandpaw". This is a really good book.

The clone "parents" leave behind letters, journals, and holos of themselves to be given to the clone at each birthday, from just a song and picture at age 1 to more and more mature birthday messages as the clone grows up. So I got to wondering: What would I want to tell a future me about myself?

I know that future Little DixieGal would want to see my travel pics. I would want her to know what a terrific woman my mother was, and that she taught me to think for myself. I would tell her to watch her weight and take better care of herself than I did. And that I hope she finds a man as wonderful as Tim to love.

What would you tell a future you about yourself?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:33 PM   #2
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Pay special attention to keeping your back and your knees strong with regular exercise.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2010, 10:36 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Cat! I haven't seen you in a while. What's new with you?

You reminded me... I'd be sure to warn her of how accident prone that I am, and she should be careful on stairways.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:43 PM   #4
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Have fun. Live your own life.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:50 PM   #5
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Sorry. It wasn't my idea to put you through this.
And DixieGal's clone likes karma.
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2010, 11:30 PM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!

::
Quote:
Originally Posted by recluse View Post
Sorry. It wasn't my idea to put you through this.
And DixieGal's clone likes karma.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:41 PM   #7
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I would slap me in the face for being such a dirty, dirty whore with all the ladies.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:44 PM   #8
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Dear clone, take better care of your teeth, and watch the sweets.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:44 PM   #9
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
USE A CONDOM!!!!
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:46 PM   #10
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Don't overestimate your own abilities.
Don't overestimate your own opinion.
Don't overestimate your own importance.
Do what you love.
Be who you are.
Have fun.

Don't touch my stuff!
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:46 PM   #11
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
What would you tell a future you about yourself?
The secret to happiness is to never expect anything from the Boston Red Sox.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:30 AM   #12
Ryan_Phx
Enthusiast
Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Galaxy Tab S2, Nook, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Have fun. Live your own life.
x2. They may be genetically identical, but they won't be the same person.
Ryan_Phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:30 AM   #13
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Don't marry our first wife
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:00 AM   #14
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I guess I'm too strong a believer of environment over genes, because I find it hard to believe she would have anything in common with me - or need to learn anything specific from me - because she wouldn't be ME.

She wouldn't be born to teenage parents forced to marry in a time when abortion was illegal and options were few.

She wouldn't grow up in a time when girls weren't allowed to play organized sports, or when girls were forced to take home ec while only the boys could take "shop".

She wouldn't grow up the oldest of five, with three (of four) of her younger brothers' addictions to drugs and alcohol making her childhood overly stressful and uncertain.

She wouldn't grow up in a world untouched by AIDs (although that epidemic really got off the ground during my college years, the understanding that it affected straight women was still a decade in the future).

She wouldn't be me.

Oh, maybe I'd try to tell her to listen to the dentists and brush her teeth longer, but the other issues in my life that I wish I'd done differently are things I believe I did based on the way I was raised, the environment I was raised in...so her reactions to life should be different.

I probably took this question way too seriously.

Last edited by FizzyWater; 08-09-2010 at 02:01 AM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:15 AM   #15
jes1
Zealot
jes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enough

Device: Astak EZReader, Dell Axim x50v, iPod Touch, nook
I would tell her to choose her career based on her passions, and not on the ability to make a comfortable living.
jes1 is offline   Reply With Quote