Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Considering to buy a M92 or M92S

I am a iLiad user for almost 5 years. My iLiad is having some problem on the E-INK display starting from yesterday. I think the problem is going to be worse, so I am considering to buy a new E-INK device. I tried to read on LCD tablet and found that I just can't get used to it.

BOOX M92 or M92S is the best options that I can find. Before buying, I need some more information. I am totally happy with my iLiad, so I will compare any new device with my past experience with iLiad.

1. I don't need drawing on screen (I don't write on iLiad, too), but I need touch screen for UI. Does M92S differ from M92 in UI in screen control?

2. Is standy-by mode available? iLiad don't have stand-by mode. I think newer devices will have it. Just want to make sure.

3. Is SDK available? I did a lot porting on iLiad. I wrote my own program to run on iLiad. Can I create my own program or port QT program to M92? Any restrictions? Is the e-ink screen refresh API available?

4. Can I SSH to M92 and M92S? M92S has no wifi. Is it possible to SSH to M92S? SSH is useful for me to operate the file system. I can live without Internet connection as long as I can SSH.

5. How is the reflash (unbrick) procedure? I presume it should be ready. Just want to make sure.

6. Can I instal user fonts? I have my personal favored TTF fonts when reading. On iLiad, FBreader supports user fonts rendering. Is it the same with M92?

7. There is FBReader on QT. Any FBReader for M92?

8. How does M92 support mobipocket format? Mobipocket is proprietary format. I guess M92 won't support mobipocket format with DRM. What about mobipocket dictionary? I have some mobipocket dictionaries without DRM. Can I use them on M92?

I have read M92 wiki.
Any advice or information is appreciated. Thanx in advance.

Last edited by ericshliao; 09-08-2012 at 04:36 PM.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:25 AM   #2
FDD
Connoisseur
FDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Hello Eric,
some answers:
  1. AFAIK the UI for M92 and M92S is the same (I have an M92). You don't need the stylus for navigating the UI, but some function won't be available, like "2 Point zoom", which I use quite a lot.
  2. Yes, it has standby, after a customizable delay or upon user request. (More technical details here.)
  3. The SDK is available and the design is based on QT. It is poorly documented as far as I can tall, but there are enough example programs to get started (and a few users ported great stuff already! Thank you guys!) A refresh API is available, but it is far from ideal, IMHO. Kernel source are available, but seem incomplete; I am tracking this down, but I have no time right now.You should be aware that there is an ongoing Android port by Onyx, but it's not here yet.
  4. I use usb-serial, but SSH should be usable: see the beginning of this thread for both of them.
  5. You should not brick the device as far as you stay away from the recovery partition . There is a LVTTL serial console (see here), but the JTAG is still to be found, so AFAIK there is no complete recovery procedure, yet.
I'm not sure about the other answers, so I leave them for someone who knows better...
Ciao!
FDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 07:20 AM   #3
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Thanks FDD for answering 1-5!
The rest is quite easy to answer:
6. yes
7. yes
8. yes, non DRM .mobi documents reading is supported. I don't know about mobi dictionaries, but I 'd like to try it out. Is it possible to send me one?
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Thanx for your reply. Still, if people have any info to share, please do it.

I think I will choose M92.

As for the mobi dictionary, there is one here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16419

Where is FBReader for M92? Any pictures?
Old 09-11-2012, 12:58 AM   #5
ericshliao
Guru

It seems that FBReader is officially bundled with M92. Right? Which version of FBReader does M92 have? FBReader 0.99.2 has been released. Will ONYX update FBReader for M92?

For my personal needs, I must make some modification to FBReader. I want to modify the source code and replace FBReader by ONYX. I presume it's possible. Do you have any comment or advice?

I am thinking about buying I62 HD. After all, M92 is too large for me. Do I62 HD and M92 have same software (system and reader)?

Thanx for any reply.
Advert
Old 09-11-2012, 05:35 AM   #6
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
It seems that FBReader is officially bundled with M92. Right? Which version of FBReader does M92 have?
Yes that's right. I believe the version is 0.10.3. At least this version specified in sources
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
FBReader 0.99.2 has been released. Will ONYX update FBReader for M92?
Considering that current version is rather old, I'm in doubt they will.
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
ericshliao
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbo View Post
Yes that's right. I believe the version is 0.10.3.

Considering that current version is rather old, I'm in doubt they will.
Thanx for your reply.
It's not good to hear this. To be honest, I have been using FBReader 0.12 on iLiad right after it was released till now. Why don't developers port newer FBreader to M92? AFAIK, SDK, screen refresh API and Scratchbox2 are available. That means porting newer FBReader should be feasible. Is there any obstacles or restrictions?

Last edited by ericshliao; 09-11-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #8
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Probably they have some higher priority tasks. Let Booxtor comment on this, he should know better. I only see that their activity on open source part of the project is about zero. From technical point of view porting newer FBReader is doable. IMHO the main obstacle is that there is no people willing to do it.
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #9
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbo View Post
Probably they have some higher priority tasks. Let Booxtor comment on this, he should know better. I only see that their activity on open source part of the project is about zero. From technical point of view porting newer FBReader is doable. IMHO the main obstacle is that there is no people willing to do it.
Currently we are polishing on new pdf reader. The new update will be released very soon. I am getting daily new update versions and testing it.
I was not thinking about updating of FB-Reader but after reading your message I will talk to the team.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #10
janek
Groupie
janek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Boox m92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Currently we are polishing on new pdf reader. The new update will be released very soon. I am getting daily new update versions and testing it.
I was not thinking about updating of FB-Reader but after reading your message I will talk to the team.
Any news on annotations merging bug(s) being fixed? New academic year's approaching, I'll have my hands busy checking students' essays. This feature would be perfect for doing that...
janek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:15 AM   #11
Knorke
Enthusiast
Knorke is on a distinguished road

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by janek View Post
Any news on annotations merging bug(s) being fixed? ... This feature would be perfect for doing that...
Knorke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #12
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knorke View Post
Hi,

is it about that issue ?
"Merging does not work when special characters are used in the comment text (non-ascii characters from annotations such as Polish special characters ąęśćżźńółĄĘŚĆŻŹŃÓŁ or German ö ä ü ß µ § ´ å é)"

I have tried to reproduce the described issue in the new software and couldn't. May be it was already solved, but I would like to test it with your documents too.

Could you please send me some affected sample pdfs?
Old 09-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #13
janek
Groupie
janek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Boox m92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Hi,

is it about that issue ?
"Merging does not work when special characters are used in the comment text (non-ascii characters from annotations such as Polish special characters ąęśćżźńółĄĘŚĆŻŹŃÓŁ or German ö ä ü ß µ § ´ å é)"

I have tried to reproduce the described issue in the new software and couldn't. May be it was already solved, but I would like to test it with your documents too.

Could you please send me some affected sample pdfs?
Booxtor, have mercy!
Not only you received a copy of "affected" pdf but also *.sketch file with annotations! The two different bugs that Knorke and I discovered got confirmed. Please see the apropriate thread and do check your PM for sketch file.
janek is offline   Reply With Quote