Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 12-04-2007, 05:17 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
eBookwise 1150 sale ($10 off)

There's a sale going on at eBookwise for the 1150 LCD reading device. You can find the scoop here, where it's available for $129.95 (regularly $139.95) with free US ground shipping and a 64meg memory card.

You won't get the nifty e-ink experience, but you get a much better price and backlighting. "[T]he eBookwise-1150 can display your own personal content in the following file formats: plain text (.txt), rich text format (.rtf), Microsoft Word documents (.doc), HTML (.htm or .html), and Rocket eBook Editions (.rb)."

I don't have any personal experience with one, but I also don't remember anyone saying that they just don't like this particular device. Be sure to check out the MobileRead legacy device forum to get more scoop on the device.

The sale prices:
1150 with 8meg internal memory only - $99.95 (reg $109.95)
1150 with 64meg card - $129.95 (reg $139.95)
1150 with 128meg card - $169.95 (reg $179.95)

According to eBookwise, internal memory stores about 10 e-books. A 64meg card ups that to about 100 e-books, and a 128meg card gets you to about 200 e-books.

If you have one, let us know if you think this is a good deal, and what sort of buyer should consider one, and if maybe you can save money by getting the storage cards separately.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:52 PM   #2
dwynia
dwynia began at the beginning.

Device: Rocket eBook, Clie
I've had four of these or its predecessor. The first was the Frankin Rocket eBook (had to be in '93 or '94) and I LOVE the darn things. Backlit so I can read at night without waking up the wife unit and I still have the old software so I can convert docs to the .rb format. Life is good.

The first was $300 and I was able to pick up the others very inexpensively. One as a display model at <shudder> Best Buy. The others at $50 from ebay. If the eInk machines weren't out, I'd snatch another one or two. But eInk is here so I think I'll have to spring for a Kindle.
dwynia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2007, 06:05 PM   #3
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
It would be much cheaper to buy the unit without a memory card. In Aus you can usually get these cards fro around $40 for a two gig card and $20 for a 1 gig.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:06 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
There's a sale going on at eBookwise for the 1150 LCD reading device. You can find the scoop here, where it's available for $129.95 (regularly $139.95) with free US ground shipping and a 64meg memory card.

(good stuff deleted)

If you have one, let us know if you think this is a good deal, and what sort of buyer should consider one, and if maybe you can save money by getting the storage cards separately.
$30 for a 64 meg card is a good price but $70 for a 128 is a bit higher than you can get one for on eBay. The price is good on sale but there is a guy on eBay with stock that sells a bit cheaper than eBookwise always it seems. His is not an auction.

Everything you want to know about this device is now in the wiki under eBookwise-1150 or you can check my web site.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:08 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sianon View Post
It would be much cheaper to buy the unit without a memory card. In Aus you can usually get these cards fro around $40 for a two gig card and $20 for a 1 gig.
The 1150 uses SmartMedia cards -- 128 MB is as big as they get.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2007, 06:55 PM   #6
pitcher23
Zealot
pitcher23 began at the beginning.

I have the ebookwise and also had the original Rocket ebook. Though physically identical outside of re-branding, the Rocket had a much better display. The 1150 is still good though and with the conversion software, you can put pretty much anything you want on it. It's a good deal at that price if you don't want to pay the higher cost of of e-ink devices and the battery life on it is pretty impressive for a back lit reader.
pitcher23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:36 PM   #7
tmaynard
tmaynard began at the beginning.

Device: EB-1150, Motorola Atrix 4G, Dell Streak 7
Very good deal

Quote:
I just bought an EB-1150. I found mine on eBay for $122 with a 64MB card. Shipping was $12, total price = $134. A 128MB SmartMedia card (also on eBay) runs around $30 plus about $4 shipping.

The eBay vendor has also put their readers on sale: shipping has been reduced from $12 to $5 (IIRC).

Had I waited one DAY, I could have saved $7 buying it on eBay. Had I waited one WEEK, I could have bought it from eBookWise (with the 128MB card) and saved more -- I paid $30 for 128MB on eBay.

I'm not complaining! I'm deliriously happy with my EB-1150 and have spent many happy hours in the week or so I've had it reading, converting books, and generally playing around with it.

Who should buy one? Anybody who's thinking about an eBook reader but is as yet undecided. You won't find anything less expensive, there is no "perfect" reader, and the technology is still evolving. Jump in here for $150, enjoy eReading, and upgrade without remorse when the time is right.

With the money you save in lieu of the Sony, buy a bushel of books.

Tom.
tmaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:10 PM   #8
leha
leha began at the beginning.

Device: prs-500
Quote:
You won't get the nifty e-ink experience, but you get a much better price and backlighting. "[T]he eBookwise-1150 can display your own personal content in the following file formats: plain text (.txt), rich text format (.rtf), Microsoft Word documents (.doc), HTML (.htm or .html), and Rocket eBook Editions (.rb)."
Better price? You can get prs500 from compusa for 140$ nowdays there is a problem that they are out of stock in many places though.
leha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:18 PM   #9
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
I've had two other eBook readers in the past 8 years but I like the eb1150 best. I find it easier to read than the others. The screen is a good size, I find back-lighting easier to read than eInk, and the controls are easier to use than the other units. It can search through a text, highlight passages, bookmark pages and allow you to enter notes directly into pages or create a new, blank page for notes--something that neither of the others I've used could do. (It uses a touch-screen to make selections, so there's your highlighting and note-taking.)

I found the 64 mb memory card adequate. The eBookwise site sells DRMed books (if you like fantasy, eBookwise has both of the first two volumes in George R.R. Martin's epic Song of Ice and Fire for $4.74) and has a fair selection of new books at prices similar to other sites, but most new, best-sellers cost more than the Kindle's $9.99. You can get an interesting selection of eBooks in Multiformat, which includes the IMP files used by the eb1150 at the Fictionwise site.

Well, it's a great device.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:02 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Unfortunately they will only ship to the USA and Canada .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:54 AM   #11
leandroide
Zealot
leandroide has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Papyre 6.1 (Hanlin V3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Unfortunately they will only ship to the USA and Canada .
Mmmm... If I could buy one from Europe I probably would...

L.
leandroide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:07 AM   #12
wgrimm
Addict
wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Better than any other current devices

IMHO, the RocketBook and REB1150 are better than any of the other current ebook readers. Downsides are limited battery life (8-10 hours), and problems getting content onto the device. The available software will convert html and other formats to .rb and .imp.

Ergonomically, these devices are great- far superior to the Sony or anything else.

The old Rocketbooks had a nice case- the one for the 1150s suck. You can find a fair amount of stuff already converted for the 1150, and .chm is easy to convert. PDFs are more problematical- I used Adobe to convert to html first, but found that Gemini (by Iceni, a British company) works better than anything, but is pricey at $150.

To date, in terms of usage, my Palm T5 gets used the most, then the Reb, then the Sony. Wish someone could deliver a really superior device. Oh yeah, don';t think it works any more, but if you like the gimmicky "buy books from your device" that the Kindle has, well- the Rebs had it to, via an internal modem.....
wgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:51 AM   #13
silvania
Enthusiast
silvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura about

Device: palm
Quote:
Originally Posted by sianon View Post
Wrong! These are SmartMedia cards. They are not easy to find. The max is 128 meg, no bigger cards were ever produced of this type.

Absolutely do not buy it without the card, you will be very sorry. SmartMedia cards are getting almost impossible to find and certainly not at this price.
silvania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:53 AM   #14
silvania
Enthusiast
silvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura aboutsilvania has a spectacular aura about

Device: palm
Quote:
Originally Posted by leha View Post
Better price? You can get prs500 from compusa for 140$ nowdays there is a problem that they are out of stock in many places though.
That sounds like a clearance price on the older model, not a standard price, therefore little or no supply.

Last edited by silvania; 12-05-2007 at 11:46 AM.
silvania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:07 PM   #15
kjn24
Enthusiast
kjn24 began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise
I really enjoy my ebookwise, although I confess I have no personal experience with any of the e-ink devices. It was the smallest investment I could make to see if I would like the ebook reading experience. As far as the Smartmedia card - make sure you ask around. Chances are good that friends and/or family have something in a closet that use to take a Smartmedia card and they aren't using it and would gladly give you the card. Just a suggestion!
Kathy
kjn24 is offline   Reply With Quote