Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-15-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
p3aul
Captain Courageous
p3aul doesn't litterp3aul doesn't litter

Device: calibre, PRS 505
Talking Textile markup

I need to check the forum more often! i notice there is a new way to get TOcs and other things into an epub. It looks interesting, as i'm always converting text files to epubs. Sometimes I have to take an epub or other format back to text file to clean it up and then reconvert to epub. I have always used ## to get chapters and use the --markdown switch. Now I notice there has been some changes, ergo "Textile", that is even more versatile.

My question is this:
has anyone created a webpage reference as to its use in Calibre?
Thanks,
Paul
p3aul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Be sure to use 0.8.1. It has a number of changes. Perkin has worked hard and wrote a whole new output generator for Textile. It's a drastic improvement over the old output. One major difference is the new output accounts for CSS. So bold text set by CSS will be honord. You'll also like to know that Perkin also plans to rewrite the Markdown output to make it better.

As far as using Textile in calibre, it's just like using a Markdown formatted TXT file. Take a look at http://www.textism.com/tools/textile/ for information about the syntax. I would also recommend converting an existing book to TXT using Textile to get a feel for it.

Calibre's Textile support is very robust and advanced. We support escaped formatting ([]). For example:

Code:
[*C*]hapter One
Will produce:

Code:
<bold>C</bold>hapter One
Normally * needs white space:

Code:
This is a *bold test* example
But escaping get's around this. All of the inline styles _-*+ support it.

Perkin also added (not standard) & as an inline style to create drop caps output.

I've completely switched from working with Markdown to format texts to Textile because it offers a lot more control and much more flexibility. Floating around here Perkin has written about associating .text files with a particular editor. As well as provided syntax highlighting files for that editor.

Oh, one more thing since you've been away p3aul. Check out the TXTZ format. It's TXT inside of a ZIP archive with the extension changed from .zip to .txtz. If you convert to TXTZ (with either Markdown or Textile formatting) it includes all images from your input document. Be sure to use the --keep-image-references option to ensure the images are properly referenced in your output. By default it removes them. Also play with --keep-links. It works but there are a few quarks depending on how the input handles links. We would rather keep all links and possibly introduce small artifacts than break them. For a basic novel isn't really necessary to keep links.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2011, 02:21 AM   #3
p3aul
Captain Courageous
p3aul doesn't litterp3aul doesn't litter

Device: calibre, PRS 505
Hey Great! A new toy to play with!
As they say down here in Southern France, Much obliged!
Paul
p3aul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:51 AM   #4
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Take a look at http://www.textism.com/tools/textile/ for information about the syntax.
I have calibre-ised these Textile pages into an ePub for easier use.

Last edited by Agama; 05-23-2011 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Removed obsolete attachment
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Oops! I left out the SPAN tag page. So I've updated it and also added a summary page at the end. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Textile.epub (14.9 KB, 256 views)
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
--format text, --markdown, markup, textile