Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-28-2010, 06:18 AM   #1
nitzanb
nitzanb began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
[Old thread] Need help -> Kindle 3, Mobi format, Hebrew

Hi
Just got myself the new Kindle 3, tried some odt to mobi conversion with calibre and all went fine.

I'm trying to convert Hebrew text to Mobi format and had 2 problems

1. direction - Hebrew is RTL and not LTR and though text alignment is correct, text direction is not.
2. Fonts - viewing the mobi on my Ubuntu shows the Hebrew fonts correctly, but on the kindle3 I get question marks in squares instead of Hebrew font.

I've tried to solve problem 1 with custom style: body{direction:rtl;} - did not work, calibre ignored it

I've tried to play with the fonts on the conversion settings screen, but yet - no success.

Help please?

Last edited by Manichean; 05-07-2011 at 07:58 AM.
nitzanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:30 AM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
According to this thread it's an Amazon Kindle/Mobipocket problem:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69844
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 06:54 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
For fonts, you probably need to add your own. See Changing the reader font without a hack [K3].

You may be out of luck for the RTL part. I'm not sure if MOBI even allows this - Windows MobiPocket Reader would likely be the best test. Even if WMR works, the Java-based MOBI Reader on the Kindle may have no support for RTL languages.

One option is PDF formatted for the Kindle's screen size, but I'm not sure of the best way to get there from (say) an ePub. You would likely need an embedded font in the PDF.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote