Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-11-2009, 01:33 AM   #1
csskkai
Enthusiast
csskkai began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600
Question How do I change .html or .pdf into .lrf?

I just bought a Sony PRS-505 and put some .pdf books into it. The pages don't turn very fast and I've seen on reviews that .lrf files would speed up page turning.
Problem is, I can't find a .pdf to .lrf converter. I also have some books in .html that I've been able to convert to .pdf and put on my reader, but is there something that can convert .html into .lrf?
Basically, I have no idea what I'm doing and I need help please
Does anyone know where I can find a converter and if it is free to download or not?
Thank You!
csskkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:20 AM   #2
Staz
Staz began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by csskkai View Post
Does anyone know where I can find a converter and if it is free to download or not?
Thank You!
Hi csskai.

I did some research on this not long ago and found three promising solutions.

pdflrf - Due to a GPL violation this was removed from the site but it can be found elsewhere (eg. torrents).
soPDF
pdfread

Hope this helps!
Staz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 07:05 PM   #3
steen
steen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
I usually use calibre but I've been having difficulties with it lately. As in, it keeps corrupting my database and my collections are deleted. (But not the books.) It can be fickle but it's really not a bad program and it will convert most types of books into LRF.
steen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:05 PM   #4
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Calibre is your one-stop conversion shop. And I'd suggest skipping the LRF -- since you have a 505 EPUB is the way to go.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:07 PM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Either Calibre or Book Designer will make a good job of converting html to lrf. Calibre will also convert to EPub and has a lot of other uses.

In the meantime, until you get to grips with one of these programs, you could just convert your html to rtf or doc. (The Sony will read rtf with no problem, and will automatically convert doc to rtf.)
The files will be a bit bigger than the html, but that shouldn't be a problem. Just open the html file, click on the edit icon and then select "save as" on the file menu. Save as doc or rtf. Check that the formatting is as you like. Then load it onto your reader.

I would avoid PDF as far as possible. It is more troublesome to convert than any other format.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 10:16 PM   #6
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
PDFRead might be useful for you: see this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21906

And welcome to the forum, csskkai.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:16 AM   #7
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Depending on the PDF, I've had fairly good results with using Mobipocket Creator to convert it. When you build the Mobipocket ebook, it will also create a separate HTML file. If the file has carriage returns at every line ending, you still have to muck around with cleaning those up...but I've found that's something built into the PDF. Not all of them do it.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:07 AM   #8
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by steen View Post
As in, it keeps corrupting my database and my collections are deleted.
It seems as this is not primarily caused by Calibre. Some users faced the same problem while using Sonys Software.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:23 PM   #9
csskkai
Enthusiast
csskkai began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600
Question epub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
Calibre is your one-stop conversion shop. And I'd suggest skipping the LRF -- since you have a 505 EPUB is the way to go.
Wait so instead of LRF, I should convert to EPUB? What's the difference? Which is better (faster, better format) ?
csskkai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
.lrf, .pdf, convert, converter, sony