Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 12-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Calibre Companion beginner

I've just acquired a Nexus 7, and am searching for ways to be able to read my ebooks on it - not those I've bought through Google Play, the ones I have in my calibre library.

I have bought and installed Calibre Companion, but haven't been able to make a Wi-Fi connection between the Nexus and my calibre library on my Windows 7 computer. So:
- Is there anything like a 'Calibre Companion for Dummies' anywhere so I can understand what I'm doing?
- Is there any way to use a USB cable for the connection? That's what I do for my ereaders; I don't quite see the point of using Wi-Fi for the Nexus.

I'll probably have lots more dumb questions, so thanks in advance for your patience.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I've just acquired a Nexus 7, and am searching for ways to be able to read my ebooks on it - not those I've bought through Google Play, the ones I have in my calibre library.

I have bought and installed Calibre Companion, but haven't been able to make a Wi-Fi connection between the Nexus and my calibre library on my Windows 7 computer. So:
- Is there anything like a 'Calibre Companion for Dummies' anywhere so I can understand what I'm doing?
- Is there any way to use a USB cable for the connection? That's what I do for my ereaders; I don't quite see the point of using Wi-Fi for the Nexus.

I'll probably have lots more dumb questions, so thanks in advance for your patience.
Did you start the Wireless Device Connection on Calibre? (assumes you are using the 'Connect Wireless' choice in CC)

Is your WiFi connection on the same network as the Calibre machine?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
There's also the CC Sticky with FAQs.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:48 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks to you both. I stumbled upon the way to make the Wi-Fi connection, and am going through the available readers to see which honours the stylesheet.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:40 AM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Mantano is the best I've found for honouring css.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:55 AM   #6
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks to you both. I stumbled upon the way to make the Wi-Fi connection, and am going through the available readers to see which honours the stylesheet.
Can you tell me what you stumbled upon please? I can't seem to make a CC / Nexus 7 connection either and I wonder if you may have found something I didn't.

Thanks!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Can you tell me what you stumbled upon please? I can't seem to make a CC / Nexus 7 connection either and I wonder if you may have found something I didn't.
He probably found the FAQ linked from the Help section of the CC App. If the instructions fail you, report back with what you've done and we'll be glad to help.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:29 AM   #8
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
He probably found the FAQ linked from the Help section of the CC App. If the instructions fail you, report back with what you've done and we'll be glad to help.
Thanks. See this thread for the background.

Basically, I think I have followed the instructions in the FAQ etc and I still can't get it to work. I'm just struggling to find the time to sit down and retry and get the information needed so was wondering if the OP had actually spotted something outside of that that could be of use to me. If not, fine, and I certainly didn't mean to try to duplicate my previous thread.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Thanks. See this thread for the background.
You barely scratched the surface in that thread and apparently didn't have a chance yet to provide feedback to chaley's post #9. Chaley is the App developer and the developer of the section of calibre that connects to wireless devices. When you get a chance to work on the issue start by providing chaley specific feedback.

Good Luck.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-09-2013 at 04:03 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:58 AM   #10
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:

Thanks!
The following procedures work for me - perhaps those familiar with CC might suggest how they can be streamlined.

Open calibre and Nexus
- On calibre click Connect/share>start wireless device connection>OK
- On Nexus open CC>connect>as Wireless Device - the Device column opens on the left edge of the calibre window
- On calibre select ebook>click Send to Device - repeat for each ebook to be sent to Nexus
- On Nexus select Disconnect
- On calibre click Connect/share>Stop wireless device connection
- On Nexus/CC you should see a list of the downloaded ebooks. Select an ebook by touching its cover. The Book Details window will open. Touch Read, and a window will open showing Successful download. Select close, Go to Library, or Read.

I hope this helps.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Looks as if all you left out is the wait time for some of the steps to complete

You can select more than 1 book to Send to Device MAIN (it is always this even if you have CC set to store on the SD Card)

1 Bigger send Batch is more efficient Job Wise

You don't need to Stop the Wireless connection if you don't want to. It will wait.
Just don't try and attach a wired device AND try to connect wirelessly at the same time (Calibres 1 device at a time rule)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #12
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You don't need to Stop the Wireless connection if you don't want to. It will wait.
Just don't try and attach a wired device AND try to connect wirelessly at the same time (Calibres 1 device at a time rule)
You can even tell Calibre to activate the wireless connection on startup so you don't have to start it.

And you can attach a wired device when your wireless connection is active (or vice versa); it just won't work. Calibre will refuse to do anything with the second device as long as another is already connected. At least the wireless connection will be refused when a wired device is connected (I tried that ).
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:05 AM   #13
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks to you both. I'd never thought of sending books in batches. It might save some of the waiting time.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #14
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
You barely scratched the surface in that thread and apparently didn't have a chance yet to provide feedback to chaley's post #9. Chaley is the App developer and the developer of the section of calibre that connects to wireless devices. When you get a chance to work on the issue start by providing chaley specific feedback.

Good Luck.
Thanks. I have updated that thread with the outcome of my latest (still unsuccessful) attempt.