Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #16
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Are you guys using any certain version of Nova Launcher? I got the latest from the Play store (v2.0 I think), got it moved to /system/app and installed ok, but after a reboot, Nova immediately crashes every time I try to choose it.
I tried the install from /system/app with ES File Explorer (and a reboot of the Fire) but I still kept getting the crash on selection.

I ended up sort of following the instructions in this post at XDA. I had already purchased Nova Launcher Prime for my S3. So I went to the Play store on my Fire, installed NLP. After installing I got a message to install the free version, I did. Then I used Titainium backup to convert both of the Nova Launcher apps to system apps (long press on the app and choose "convert to system" or something similar). I rebooted the Fire and Nova Launcher has been working pretty well so far.

There are some glitches (sometimes weird things happen in horizontal mode) but it's pretty good.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
DEVICE: KFHD 7", 16GB
ROOTED: yes
LAUNCHER: Nova Launcher (free)
WALLPAPER: Something from "Backgrounds HD"
ADDITIONAL INFO: Google Play installed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-01-04-08-25-33[1].jpg
Views:	310
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	98736  
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #18
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
DEVICE: KFHD 7", 16GB
ROOTED: yes
LAUNCHER: Nova Launcher (free)
WALLPAPER: Something from "Backgrounds HD"
ADDITIONAL INFO: Google Play installed
Excellent! Thanks for posting that!

Now that you have it rooted and tabletized, any thoughts about what other apps/purposes you'll use your KFHD for?
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:19 AM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh it's been rooted since the day I bought it. I tell myself that it's because I wanted access to Google Play (and I have installed a few games/apps that wouldn't have been available to me otherwise), but I suspect it's likely because I just can't help myself. It's there. I'm a tinkerer. I'd hack my toaster if it had firmware!

In all honesty, I don't know if I'll even keep this (or any) alternate launcher. For all my tinkering, I still primarily use the device for reading. So I'm constantly switching back to the Amazon launcher anyway.

But it's fun to play a bit.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #20
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's a site for inspiration, downloads and instructions:

MyColorScreen

I learned about it from an article on Gizmodo today.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #21
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Here's a site for inspiration, downloads and instructions:

MyColorScreen

I learned about it from an article on Gizmodo today.
ha! So did I!
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #22
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
ha! So did I!
Great reads mind alike... or something like that.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:22 AM   #23
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Excuse my ignorance, but once the KF is rooted, is the launcher screen then your home screen when you turn on after a full power-off, or do you still have to launch the launcher (so to speak) from an icon (as I do at the moment with adw launcher)?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but once the KF is rooted, is the launcher screen then your home screen when you turn on after a full power-off, or do you still have to launch the launcher (so to speak) from an icon (as I do at the moment with adw launcher)?
Once the KF is rooted... it's really your choice as to which launcher (Home) you want to be default. Currently, my HD reboots to the Nova Launcher home page you see above.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #25
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Once the KF is rooted... it's really your choice as to which launcher (Home) you want to be default. Currently, my HD reboots to the Nova Launcher home page you see above.
Great, thanks. I'm not convinced yet whether it's worth the effort and potential risk of rooting. There's not much I need from it, apart perhaps from the access to Google Play, which is a pain not being able to download from at the moment.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:59 AM   #26
renswic
Enthusiast
renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: 2018 PW4
You guys know if there is a RSS feed widget that works with Go Launcher EX?
renswic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #27
arman68
arman68 shines like a glazed doughnut.arman68 shines like a glazed doughnut.arman68 shines like a glazed doughnut.arman68 shines like a glazed doughnut.arman68 shines like a glazed doughnut.arman68 shines like a glazed doughnut.arman68 shines like a glazed doughnut.arman68 shines like a glazed doughnut.arman68 shines like a glazed doughnut.arman68 shines like a glazed doughnut.arman68 shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: none
Here is my homescreen on rooted Kindle Fire HD.

The launcher is Launcher 8, available from the original chinese forum
or the xda-developers forum or the google play store. I think this should also work on non-rooted phone, but you will not be able to make the home button default to launcher 8.

Widgets used:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid.dateview.

Amber Home Weather Free with Tick icon set.

MusixMatch lyrics player.

The tools, game controller, and photograph open application folders.

Last edited by arman68; 01-11-2013 at 09:16 AM.
arman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #28
dickiedave
dickiedave began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire hd
hi still can't get adw launcher to work on my kindle any help would be great
dickiedave is offline   Reply With Quote