Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-14-2011, 05:07 AM   #1
Benjamin Buford
Nameless Being

Arrow SD card problem thread

Seeing how people are having issues with SD cards I thought it would be a good idea to approach these problems systematically and more accurately instead of spreading hints all over the forum This could help the Kobo developers to solve the problems.

1) State brand, model number, type (SD/SDHC/SDXC) and capacity of your SD card.

2) Provide link(s) to the book(s) that is (are) giving you problems.

3) How do you manage the books on your Kobo Touch? Drag&drop, Kobo Desktop application, Calibre, other ... ?

4) Which firmware version are you using?

5) What type of problem are you having?

Last edited by Benjamin Buford; 10-14-2011 at 05:16 AM.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
When I purchased my KT in July 2011 I inserted a MicroSD card and everything worked fine. It continued to work with no problems until 1.9.11 and then it rendered my KT unusuable.

1) Dane Elec MicroSD 2GB

2) Any/all books cause the same problem if the card is loaded into the KT

3) I use all three ways (never at the same time). Without the SD card the KT works fine. With it the problems occur to any and all books (including ones loaded into the internal memory).

4) Problems started with 1.9.11 and continue with 1.9.12. I had no problems with 1.9.10 and earlier.

5) After turning the pages of the book (any book) a few times the book closes and goes back to the main screen and the sd card books disappear from the library.

Yes, it is an old MicroSd card but it worked fine until 1.9.11. I am waiting on some new cards to try them out and see if the same things happen.
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
viduliya
viduliya began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
SD card problem with KT

I hope this is a software problem that can be resolved. I do not want to go fishing for different types of SD cards to try and find something that will work.

1) "PNY 2GB Class 4" MicroSD. I got three of these cards from
http://www.amazon.com/PNY-MicroSD-Cl...8597298&sr=8-1

When I got these cards they were formatted FAT16. I wonder if re-formatting to FAT32 will make any difference.

2) All epub side loaded and kepub loaded through Kobo book store as long as the SD card is inserted in the card slot. When there is no SD card the KT works beautifully.

3) I manage books on to the KT from the Kobo book store and epubs side loaded from Calibre.

4) I have two KT units both on 1.9.12 firmware. I only got the SD cards last week, so I can not comment about what happened in the earlier firmware. The problem was there for me in 1.9.11 and 1.9.12. I am planning to attempt a downgrade on on of the units to 1.9.10 to check.

5) When I read and turn the pages of any epub/kepub on either internal memory or on the SD card, I get booted off the book to the home screen. I noticed it requires a delay (~ 1 min per page turn) between page turns in-order for this problem to occur. If I manage to turn pages rapidly the problem does not seem to occur but it is not useful for reading.

Update:

I dug up a two year old cell phone which contained a Sandisk 2GB MicroSD card. I formatted it (FAT16) and tried it in KT (firmware 1.9.12). I used it to read a couple of chapters on a few books both on the KT internal memory and books on the SD card and they both worked well with no page turn returning to home screen issues.

So, it seems the SD card problem is particular to my week old PNY cards. I got 3 of them last week and I did not expect to have to hunt for compatible SD cards.

For further testing I downgraded firmware to 1.9.10.
** As many have stated others in these forums before, both PNY and Sandisk SD cards work well on 1.9.10 firmware. So, I am certain the incompatibility with the PNY SD cards were introduced after 1.9.10.

Anyone know a way to continue syncing the device to the Kobo book store with wifi and not update the firmware? It doesn't really seem to give you a choice when you sync with wifi.

Last edited by viduliya; 10-14-2011 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Did some more investigating
viduliya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
IamARobot
Enthusiast
IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

2GB Sandisk pulled from a Blackberry at work.

No issues at all on any firmware up to and including 1.9.11.

All books sideloaded with Calibre to the SD card, nothing in the main memory.
IamARobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:43 PM   #5
register512
Kobo Touch User
register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Within two days of buying my KT, I added an SD card. I don't recall which software version it was on at the time, but I know that Kobo Desktop upgraded it the first time I registered the unit.

I have only sideloaded books on my unit, split between the SD card and main memory -- I typically keep unread books (my shortlist) in main memory, and the remainder of my walkaround library on the SD card.

My card gave me absolutely no problems (that I know of) until I installed software version 1.9.12. I immediately started suffering from the kinds of problems described in other forums (sudden return to home screen, lockups, etc.)

My card is a "Patriot LX Signature Flash, 16GB microSDHC Class 10 (PSF16GMCSDHC10)" purchased from Canada Computers. Patriot is a mainstream manufacturer of memory products, so the card is not an overseas knock-off.
register512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:12 PM   #6
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

1) SanDisk, ??, Class 4 microSDHC, 8GB

2) None

3) Managed by Drag&drop, Kobo Desktop application

4) firmware 9.1.12

5) none other than not possible to delete from SD card via Kobo Touch menus. (delete action is performed, but ebook reappears after power-off, power-on)
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:43 PM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
My Lexar 4 GB that works fine in my Touch is a Class 2.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:49 PM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Has anyone with this problem tried clearing everything off the card, then adding in one book, maybe after doing a hard factory reset (Staff instructions were to hold the power button for 15 seconds. Hold the home button and keep it pressed while turning the device on.)
Old 10-14-2011, 07:52 PM   #9
moorejl57
moorejl57 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
1. No name 4GB MicroSD from Borders
2. Any and all epub books on SD card from multiple sources
3. Load using drag and drop and sometimes Calibre
4. Issue stared with 1.9.11 and continues with 1.9.12, rollback 1.9.10 fixes
5. Access to card is lost resulting in a bookmark and return to main menu, SD books no longer visible in library

I took out the 512MB SD card out of my 4 year old razor phone and it is not experiencing the problem with the same books transferred over from the 4GB card.

So from my perspective, this is not related to particular books or means of management, only to the type of MicroSD card and version of firmware. Reverting back to 1.9.10 fixes it everytime.

I saw the comment from a Kobo rep that most users do not sideload books, but I had to, since I encountered other issues that required factory resets to solve. I would love to have my KT reader so stable that I don't have to side load all of the books I read out of fear of losing them like what happened on a recent trip to Israel. A 14 hour plane ride is a very long trip without books
moorejl57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:09 PM   #10
Tangent
Tangent began at the beginning.

Lexar 4GB SDHC

All books were added as drag and drop from files on computer. I did not use Calibre.

It worked well until 1.9.11

When I reformatted the card (adding only a few books) and did a factory reset on the KT and updated to 1.9.11 again it immediately exhibited the same issues of not reading the card or bumping back to the home screen after a few page turns on any book on the SD card.

I took a chance and bought a new KT for my wife today. I have just turned it on with the SD card inserted but did not update the firmware which is 1.9.9 and the same books and SD card are now working fine.

Therefore: It is something in the firmware that changed in 1.9.11 update and remains the same in 1.9.12

Last edited by Tangent; 10-14-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Tangent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:25 PM   #11
Tangent
Tangent began at the beginning.

Just updated my wife's new KT to 1.9.12 and surprise, surprise. It no longer works with the SD card anymore.
Tangent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:47 PM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Tangent, I believe we may be using the same card Lexar 4GB SDHC. Is yours Class 2.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:02 PM   #13
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
1) Kingston, SDC4/4GB, SDHC Class 4, 4GB

2) Not applicable

3) All books converted and loaded via Calibre 0.8.12

4) 1.9.11, also previous versions.

5) No problem so far. Hope I don't jinx it. . .
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:04 PM   #14
mdclements
Kobo Developer
mdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
Just updated my wife's new KT to 1.9.12 and surprise, surprise. It no longer works with the SD card anymore.
I sent you a pm just now with something to try if you are willing.
mdclements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:43 PM   #15
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I'm using Sandisk 8GB Micro-SDHC with no problems. Though with the KW sometimes it will load the books and sometimes it won't.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote