Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-18-2009, 10:50 AM   #1
TevK
TevK doesn't litterTevK doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
Kindle DX, PRS-505, nook, and paper - side-by-side

A side-by-side comparison of the Sony PRS-505, the Amazon Kindle DX, the Barnes&Noble nook, and paper book.

I used Calibre to convert a scanlation of the manga Fairy Tail, and put it side-by-side with the print version.

Check it out!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tevk/se...7622898319997/
TevK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:06 PM   #2
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Thanks much, a great set of photos. And videos of page turning.

I was surprised that the older Sony 505 page turns are equally as fast as the Kindle DX, despite the mismatch of processor speed.

Not only did paper win out in clarity, it also had the best translation.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Thanks for the videos. I don't think the slow page turn will really be an issue. The real pain is when you try to get back to the first page. I hope it's just a firmware issue and not a majorly screwed up hardware.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:29 PM   #4
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Very interesting comparison.
Thank you!
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:06 PM   #5
tablettweet
Connoisseur
tablettweet began at the beginning.

Device: IPad 1&2,IPod Touch 4G, DXG, Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle Touch
I just write an article about comparison table about Nook, Kindle DX, and Sony Digital Reader Touch Edition . this is a quick sum up.

- Kindle DX has a biggest screen size.

- Nook & Sony Digital Reader Touch Edition has a touchscreen keyboard while Kindle DX only has a Qwerty keyboard.

- Sony Digital Reader Touch Edition is a lightest e-reader among this three.

- Kindle DX is a biggest e-reader.

- Kindle has a best screen resolution 1200*824 pixel

- Kindle has a largest 4 gb memory.

- Sony Digital Reader Touch Edition has a longest battery life – 2 weeks (no wireless on Sony).
tablettweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 12:08 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Interesting that the 505 looked noticeably better then the nook.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablettweet View Post
... Nook & Sony Digital Reader Touch Edition has a touchscreen keyboard while Kindle DX only has a Qwerty keyboard. ...
I can't say anything about the Sony Touch Edition as I've never used it, but in my opinion the Kindle's tiny physical QWERTY buttons, as bad as they are, run rings around the Nook's virtual keyboard, and they're always there when you need them; no need to wake up the LCD screen and flip through menus just to get to the keyboard.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:50 PM   #8
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Interesting that the 505 looked noticeably better then the nook.
In my capacity as Grand Arbiter of All Things Aesthetic, I have to take issue with that statement. The one area in which the Nook really shines is in its beauty. When the Wicked Queen asked the Magic Mirror who’s the fairest in the land, the Mirror answered “The Nook, Your Majesty!”

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 12-23-2009 at 12:54 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle dx, manga, nook, prs-505