Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Flea Market

Notices

Old 10-10-2008, 01:32 PM   #1
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Reader for my husband....

Ok, folks. So my husband (who is a pbook reader, but hasn't been interested in getting an ebook reader) wants to participate the the MobileRead book club I'm trying to organize.

He wants to buy the pbook we're reading, and read along so that he can join the monthly discussion. I offered last night to buy him a reader, but he was lukewarm.

That can only mean one thing....it needs to be a surprise. I think he'd ultimately like it, but he'd give me a lot of grief if I spent a significant amount of money on it. So I'm looking for a cheap (sub-$100), used eInk reader that's still functional enough to do the basics.

If you've got something lying around that you'd part with on the cheap, PM me! As long as it's in good working order, I'm not too concerned with how old it is or the aesthetic condition.

Joanne
PsyDocJoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:39 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDocJoanne View Post
If you've got something lying around that you'd part with on the cheap, PM me! As long as it's in good working order, I'm not too concerned with how old it is or the aesthetic condition.

Joanne
I would be careful here. If you get him something cheap, small, lcd then he is not (may not) going to like it. Especially if it is a non-eInk device. Your best bet is probably a used PRS-500. I looked on Amazon used prices seem to start at $160. There is a seller on eBay selling new ones for $214.

Here's one for auction with $101 as current bid, but it is under the reserve: http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-eReader-PRS...d=p3286.c0.m14

Maybe you could lend him yours for a week or so... if he likes it you can tell him to keep it and get a 700 (or another 505).

Good luck.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2008, 03:22 PM   #3
PsyDocJoanne
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Thanks Bob!

I'm going to keep an eye on that eBay one.

I did say in my original post that I was only interested in a used eInk one, because I'm sure that he would not at all be happy with an LCD device.

I was thinking about the 500, but they're still a little more than I know he'd prefer me to spend. I don't know a lot about the others, but I was thinking about something like an older version Cybook or a used eBookwise. I'm not sure price-wise, though, how much those would set me back. I guess I was hoping someone might have one in kind of less-than-perfect aesthetic shape that they'd be willing to part with.

As far as lending him mine for a week...it would be truly altruistic of me to do so...but he would have a hard time prying it from my hands for that long. Seriously, though, he's played around with it....he just isn't that excited about it...I'm hoping that having one of his own might change that, though.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:24 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
older version Cybook or a used eBookwise.
These are both LCD devices. Well, I know the eBookwise is...

BOb
Old 10-10-2008, 06:51 PM   #5
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
One note of caution with getting a PRS-500.

The difference in Contrast really stands out between the two generations of screens, and I personally can't really stand to read on the 500 after getting my Gen3 which has Vizplex screen.

If you don't think your husband will mind the difference, then go on and get it. Otherwise it may be worth considering buying a 505 if you can get a good deal somewhere. You could always ebay it if you don't want to keep it,

Other then that the 500 is a nice machine (especially if you have it hacked )
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2008, 09:08 PM   #6
PsyDocJoanne

>These are both LCD devices. Well, I know the eBookwise is...

Jeez, are they really? That just goes to show you how little I know

I guess I'm off to do some research...
Old 10-10-2008, 09:17 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
$216 for a 500 is too much even if brand new. There is no warranty on it. For $216, I'd spend the diff and go for the 505. Thing is, if you get him a 500, I'm not sure he'll like it when compared to your 505.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:08 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
>These are both LCD devices. Well, I know the eBookwise is...

Jeez, are they really? That just goes to show you how little I know
Well... live and learn. Perhaps find a place that will take it back. Possible Target will... have you asked there?

If you lived closer I would lend you my 500... no one has been using it. My son switched to reading on his iPod Touch.

BOb
Old 10-11-2008, 01:21 AM   #9
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
One thing to keep in mind also since you have a 505, If you get another Sony you can share books and not have to worry about buying multiple copies. If you both are avid readers, Buying the same title in two formats will add up. Or you may get tired of switching around devices if he buys a book and thinks you would like to read it and vice versa. I think If you surprise him and he ends up liking it, THe price will not be a factor. I know when I got my 505 I was shocked when my wife asked where hers was. So we now have two in the family.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote