Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-20-2008, 07:42 PM   #1
eBookNerd
Connoisseur
eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ebookwise 1150, Kindle, Sony PRS 505
Question Already have a Kindle but secretly want a Sony

I violated my cardinal rule - never go shopping after you've already purchased the item you've been looking for.
I received my Kindle as a gift about 2 weeks ago and absolutely loved it, BUT today I went to my local Borders bookstore and fell in love with the oh-so-shiny-and-sexy Sony PRS-505!
My problem with the Kindle is this - I don't like shopping at Amazon on the Kindle (screen too small, black and white ,etc.), so I've been using my PC to shop and order books and I use the Whispernet service for quick downloads.
So really, how big a deal is the Whispernet access if I'm already sitting in front of a computer??!!
I think Amazon has more content than Sony, but I'm not really sure. Both stores seem to have the books I like to read in their format.

Solution #1 - return the Kindle and buy the Sony?
Consequences - hubby with hurt feelings, loss of purchased content on the Kindle (about 10 books in all, but no "keepers")

Solution #2 - keep the Kindle and stop whining
Consequences - forever longing for the shiny, shiny Sony; hubby continues to believe he's purchased the best Christmas present ever

Solution #3- keep the Kindle and buy the Sony
Consequences - PBJ sandwiches for 2 months; overwhelming guilt, sending a bad message to my teens; "if you want it, just buy it"!

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!
eBookNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:49 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Go for solution #1 hubby is a big boy, he can handle it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2008, 08:01 PM   #3
rationalbiker
Connoisseur
rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
The fourth option would be to sell the Kindle on eBay, possibly at a profit, and then buy the Sony. You should look at the prices they are generally going for before you decide on this option though.

I can understand how the wireless function serves you no purpose if you always have your computer nearby. Really, the wireless function is most useful for those that don't always have ready access; those that don't want their ebook to be tied to their computer.
rationalbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 10:40 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
We went for #3, have both on order. This way we both are able to read at the same time
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:09 PM   #5
lmarie
Dilettante
lmarie doesn't litterlmarie doesn't litter

Device: EB1150, Cybook Gen3, Kobo Touch
I noticed that you have an EB1150 and a Kindle, both of which have dictionary lookup support. The Sony doesn't. Do you use the dictionary often?

Yes, the Sony is enchanting, but be sure that it does what you want it to do, before you decide to buy it for its looks ("Never judge an ebook reader device by its cover!" ) I decided on the Cybook because I use the dictionary ALL the time on my EB1150. It's incredibly useful to me, and I wouldn't want to be without that option.
lmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2008, 11:59 PM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rationalbiker View Post
The fourth option would be to sell the Kindle on eBay, possibly at a profit, and then buy the Sony. You should look at the prices they are generally going for before you decide on this option though.

I can understand how the wireless function serves you no purpose if you always have your computer nearby. Really, the wireless function is most useful for those that don't always have ready access; those that don't want their ebook to be tied to their computer.
I agree. Make some profit off it. Lord knows there are still quite a few people willing to pay more than retail to get it. It' s down to about $600 now from what I've seen. Still, that's twice what people are paying for Sony Readers. You could get two!

Personally I do have a Kindle (and wouldn't part with it) and I do shop using my regular computer but I just send samples that way. I don't buy any book until I've read the sample. I'll sit at my computer and send every sample I'm remotely interested in to the Kindle. It's easy and free so why not? I see no point in actually buying the book until I've read the sample. I own too many books I didn't like enough to finish already. Then I use the wireless to pull the sample down when I'm done reading it if I actually like it. There's a little link at the end to let you buy the book. The Kindle Store from the Kindle is pretty nice but of course it's better on the big screen. I only use the store from the Kindle if I'm out of the house or trapped under a cat or something.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:41 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmarie View Post
Yes, the Sony is enchanting, but be sure that it does what you want it to do, before you decide to buy it for its looks ("Never judge an ebook reader device by its cover!" ) I decided on the Cybook because I use the dictionary ALL the time on my EB1150. It's incredibly useful to me, and I wouldn't want to be without that option.
I find the dictionary on the Gen3 to be amazingly useful - I use it all the time. It's an area in which Sony have really fallen behind the "competiion", being the only "big name" bookreader which now doesn't support it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:29 AM   #8
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
I'd like the dictionary feature, myself. I'm already looking around to see what my next ebook reader will be. If Sony offers this feature in the future, I may not even change companies. However, that HTML support in the Cybook would be pretty useful. Is it easy to look up words on the Cybook? I noticed it doesn't have very many buttons. Can you scroll to the word you want to look up on the page?

As for the Kindle, its extra features are all but useless to me. The QWERTY is nice, but I don't often feal the urge to make notes on my books immediately on my device. The internet access is useless to me for at least the next 2.5 years while I'm based overseas and I doubt I'd use it very much when I'm back in the states because I'm averse to paying for content that is free through a regular internet connection (i.e. newspapers and blogs). Given this bias, I support any decision to ditch the Kindle.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:56 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
Is it easy to look up words on the Cybook? I noticed it doesn't have very many buttons. Can you scroll to the word you want to look up on the page?
The way it works is that you display the main menu and select "Lookup Mode". That gives you a "word highlight cursor" which you can scroll around the page: left, right, up and down. When the correct word is selected, you press the centre button and it takes you to the definition of the word in the dictionary.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:05 AM   #10
bookwormfjl
Book Junkie
bookwormfjl has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505; Cybook Gen 3; Kindle 1; Kindle 2; Kindle DX; Nook
Cybook Gen 3....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I find the dictionary on the Gen3 to be amazingly useful - I use it all the time. It's an area in which Sony have really fallen behind the "competiion", being the only "big name" bookreader which now doesn't support it.
I'm with Harry. The dictionary issue is one of the big reasons I decided to purchase the Cybook even though I have a Sony 505. In addition, the Cybook can read Mobipocket format.
That will teach me not to do my homework!
bookwormfjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:11 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My 505 can read Mobipocket format. Of course, I have to convert it first. But that doesn't normally take too long. My 505 can MS Reader format as well and that never takes long to convert. My 505 can read BBeB. My 505 can read HTML. My 505 can read RTF and text. My 505 can also read ePub. My 505 can read PDF (thank to pdfrlf). Can your Kindle read all that?

Thanks to Libprs500, Book Designer, and pdflrf I can read a lot of different formats.

eBookNerd, go for option #1. You'll be glad you did.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:53 PM   #12
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
The Kindle can read all of those except the Sony proprietary format (some with conversion, some without) plus .azw. That's Amazon's proprietary format which the Sony cannot read. I'm not sure what your point is. You seem to be implying that Kindles can't read other formats. It is my understanding that PDF is a bit easier on the Sony, though. That is a real advantage if you have a lot of PDFs that don't convert well.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:51 PM   #13
eBookNerd
Connoisseur
eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ebookwise 1150, Kindle, Sony PRS 505
Thanks to everyone for the advice.

I searched the Sony store for the books I've already purchased on my Kindle and discovered that only 6 of the 10 books were available at Sony.

I also remembered the sample download feature of the Kindle that's come in handy quite a few times in that it's saved me some money on books where the author's prose just didn't grab me in the first 2 chapters - very important.

And there is that dictionary feature - something that I don't anticipate using very much but sure is nice to have on hand.

I'm not a "techie" so downloading software and "exploding the DRM" to convert files to readable format is not something I'll be doing, unless someone has a kindergarten level instruction manual!

My decision is to hold onto the Kindle and wait for either Kindle v2.0 or the Sony PRS-510. Either device will likely have even more to offer than their current versions.
eBookNerd is offline   Reply With Quote