Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-24-2010, 12:59 PM   #16
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
I get a 'shop not found' error when clicking on the link.?
The link works fine for me...

Judith - looks as if you have already decided to get the eBay plastic case - it is a good price and, from what the seller says about it, the Kindle 3 fits quite snugly in the case so it won't rattle around and get scratched. IMHO, it is ugly, though, and the outside of plastic of the case is probably going to get pretty scratched up. Of course, I realize you are looking for good protection for your Kindle, not for decoration, so it probably suits your purpose quite well!

If you decide to get something a bit more expensive and quite a bit nicer looking ( sorry ) I feel that my Kindle is kept quite safely in my Oberon cover, but I don't carry my Kindle in my pocket, either.

The DODOcase linked by basschick looks as if it would serve the purpose of protection, too, as does the Pen & Quill cover reviewed here by Exer - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=108174

Anyway, I'm just saying, if you have the $$ to spend (which I no longer do and spending only $20 is much more sensible!) I see no reason why form and function can't be partnered with something that is beautiful to look at as well.

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:02 PM   #17
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazza View Post
I just got my new kindle yesterday! Have it charging as we speak. Can't wait to download from my Kindle for PC!

I would like one as above, but lighted so I can read in bed. Anyone got any ideas there?

thanks, Sharon
You would probably need to get the Amazon lighted cover - it gets a lot of good press here from users on MobileRead - or buy the Oberon and a separate book light if you are set on the Oberon cover.

Holly
Advert
Old 11-24-2010, 01:40 PM   #18
judith009
Groupie
judith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3, Voyage
Thanks for all the replies! You guys are the best!

I was originally set on the ebay plastic cover, but then I thought it was too big and bulky. Then I figured that Octovo really should have their new K3 faux leather slip cases ready before Christmas, which means within the next month. I think I might just wait out the month to get the cover I am desiring. For those of you who don't know what the Octovo faux leather slip cover is, here's a link: http://www.octovo.com/product.aspx?cid=64&pid=6 It's just perfect for my needs, but they don't have a K3 version yet. I need something solid like that, with a small form factor. Also, the Kindle can be put in and taken out frequently without a hassle. That's why the Amazon Kindle Case isn't doing it for me, because it's a hassle to play with the tabs and the elastic every time I transport the kindle (which I obviously do frequently), and I usually don't like to read with any covers on, since they add weight and bulk. That's also why I prefer a slip cover over an Oberon or Dodo case that you guys have shown me above. I'm just surprised that not many other companies have made firm slip cases like Octovos.
judith009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:10 PM   #19
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
The only way I would buy a $50 case for a $138 gizmo would be if I had some assurance my case would work with Kindle4 and Kindle5. So, although I like the Dodocase, I'll stick with my probably cotten .5 liter coffee sack.

I just checked and I can get a $125 case for my $138 Kindle. And people wonder why we have economic problems.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:13 PM   #20
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
The only way I would buy a $50 case for a $138 gizmo would be if I had some assurance my case would work with Kindle4 and Kindle5. So, although I like the Dodocase, I'll stick with my probably cotten .5 liter coffee sack.
I don't need to look at your name or profile to know there is a 99.99% chance that you are male.

From a female perspective the case is almost as important as what it holds. It wouldn't seem unreasonable to me to buy a $50 case to hold a $10 item. In fact, if I could afford to do so, I woud have a whole collection of covers for my Kindle to match my clothes. I would have others to reflect the seasons and holidays. Christmas covers, yay!
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2010, 10:03 PM   #21
judith009
Groupie
judith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it is

Another point is that if someone is carrying around their $140 device on a daily basis, it has a high chance of falling and breaking. That means that if left unprotected there is a chance of breaking the $140 device, therefore requiring another $140 purchase. So a $50 case to prevent a second $140 purchase seems reasonable to me.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:05 PM   #22
VerizonLover
VerizonLover began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I would go for the M-Edge Latitude Jacket.

Links: Best Buy M-Edge
VerizonLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:00 AM   #23
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
I don't need to look at your name or profile to know there is a 99.99% chance that you are male.

From a female perspective the case is almost as important as what it holds. It wouldn't seem unreasonable to me to buy a $50 case to hold a $10 item. In fact, if I could afford to do so, I woud have a whole collection of covers for my Kindle to match my clothes. I would have others to reflect the seasons and holidays. Christmas covers, yay!
About the male: I don't know, but I'm female and I really take care of my gadgets. So my Kindle has a beautiful Wild Red Roses cover from Oberon and I have a Wild Black Roses on order. Very sturdy and they age very well, when used.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:53 AM   #24
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
So what's wrong with the 'official' K3 cover from Amazon then? Really nice quality product, beautifully made and love that real leather smell..... And it's even got a real Amazon Kindle leather tag on the strap.
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:38 AM   #25
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
how "hard" of a case do you want?

I got this for my DX for 17$ free shipping Amazon Link

Since the DX is so large the top straps cover a small part of the top screen and the power/volume buttons, but not an issue as it's still easy enough to access in the case by pushing it down (bottom staps are elastic)

IN k3, all of your controls are @ the bottom so it would be a nonissue, but it's 23$ for free supersaver shippiing, 18$ without =(
Amazon Link

Anyways, I like this case, it's cheap, it's decently made, and it feels decent in my hands when I'm using it. You can invert the zipper and zip it up to seal it up when you are using it as well. Also, the pocket is nice for storing the charger/usb cable/earphones if you like. You can also charge the kindle while it's in the case and zipped close.

Oh, and they have like 5 different colors, if you search for them >>

It's hard enough I think, it's vynil, with some memory foam, and it has an outer pocket to put stuff. It's not a "hard shell" though, and it's not EVA. Most hard cases just have a plastic/cardboard insert, so not sure what you are looking for.

Edit: think I found something for k3, which is more of what you are looking for
as long as you don't sit RIGHT ON IT, it should be ok...
The only problem with EVA is that it flexes in the middle if you put pressure right on it there. The corners are pretty rigid... the case is kind of shallow/thin so like I said it should do the job unless you put a lot of pressure right on the middle of the thing.

It's hard EVA case designed for k3 and not k2 like most of the others...
http://itgsm8.en.made-in-china.com/p...-Kindle-3.html

This would appear to be the product on amazon.com (im sure you can find others..)
http://www.amazon.com/Quality-Carryi...0675218&sr=8-2
Ah well with a little bit of searching, there you go: k3 EVA hard case

Last edited by curstpriest; 11-25-2010 at 04:00 AM.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:14 PM   #26
booknut
Zealot
booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: PW1 + PW2, NOOK HD
I'm female and like my things to be uncomplicated and practical and cheap - I want a cover that does not detract from the book I am reading, which is why my plain black but sturdy and cheap ebay cover works great for me, protects the Kindle but is not too heavy and I can still afford to eat...then again, I have never been accused of being very girly so if someone wants kittens and roses and pink this and that on their cover, they should be able to buy them - male or female...
BTW, I have 5 cats and currently foster parent 3 kittens and I am lucky I can see my Kindle screen through all the cat hair but have to say that the leather cover I bought on ebay seems to pick up hair on the inside of the exposed and uncovered "raw leather" side of the cover, which may or may not be a problem with a plastic or more expensive case.
booknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:18 PM   #27
OakIris
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by judith009 View Post
Thanks for all the replies! You guys are the best!

I was originally set on the ebay plastic cover, but then I thought it was too big and bulky. Then I figured that Octovo really should have their new K3 faux leather slip cases ready before Christmas, which means within the next month. I think I might just wait out the month to get the cover I am desiring. For those of you who don't know what the Octovo faux leather slip cover is, here's a link: http://www.octovo.com/product.aspx?cid=64&pid=6 It's just perfect for my needs, but they don't have a K3 version yet. I need something solid like that, with a small form factor. Also, the Kindle can be put in and taken out frequently without a hassle. That's why the Amazon Kindle Case isn't doing it for me, because it's a hassle to play with the tabs and the elastic every time I transport the kindle (which I obviously do frequently), and I usually don't like to read with any covers on, since they add weight and bulk. That's also why I prefer a slip cover over an Oberon or Dodo case that you guys have shown me above. I'm just surprised that not many other companies have made firm slip cases like Octovos.
The Octovo case isn't at all what I expected you to be looking for. It is made of thin, soft leather, and, unless I am misreading something in their description, it offers no protection from pressure or flexing (which is what breaks the screen, as you have already experienced.) It protects the Kindle from scratches and, according to Octovo, gives
Quote:
Protection from the elements
but that is it. But, it does look very nice and gives you the ease of access that you were looking for.

I guess I should have paid less attention to your first post where you said:
Quote:
I already have the standard Amazon lighted case<snip> but I was wondering if there is anything out there that is more protective. Namely, every day I put the K3 in my pocket when traveling between 2 different buildings, and when it's in the Amazon case I still always have to be conscious of whether or not I'm applying too much pressure to the device. With a hard, solid case, I wouldn't have to worry about anything.
and I should have paid more attention to the part of your post where you said:
Quote:
I'm not looking for anything functional, maybe just a slip-on style, just to protect it while traveling. Lighter and smaller are also good features.
Thanks a lot!
Sorry about that! I would have thought that the Amazon lighted case would offer plenty of protection from impact and flexing, but you have the case and say that isn't so.

So, now that I know what you are actually looking for, perhaps one of these slip on cases will do: http://www.sfbags.com/products/kindle/kindle-cases.php Some of them have a piece of hard plastic in them to protect the Kindle from impact, unlike the Octovo slip case, and they are available now. I have one of their gear pouches (http://www.sfbags.com/products/gearpouch/gearpouch.htm ) for storing my mobile music system gear and it is made very, very well, so I imagine their Kindle cases are also very well made - and stylish, too.

Edit - Oh, and there are some suggestions in this thread, as well: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ghlight=Octovo

Holly

Last edited by OakIris; 11-25-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:10 PM   #28
judith009
Groupie

SWEEET! I love this forum.

So far I guess this is my favorite: http://www.sfbags.com/products/kindl...ase-kindle.php. Thanks Holly for pointing me to the sfbags site. Also, thanks for pointing out that the faux leather cases might not be very rigid. You don't sound very certain of yourself, though - are you sure they're flexible? I guess I've always had my doubts about that - I'm guessing that it has the same flexibility as the Amazon cover.

Here's the description taken from the SFBags site about their slip case, in case anyone else was looking for a rigid slip case like I am: "Just slip your Kindle into the thin, protective Slip Case. Light internal padding with screen-protecting, impact-resistant plastic keeps your gadget safe and sound. The water-proof outer material helps add protection against spills and other accidental mishaps. Slide your Kindle in and use the handy tab at the bottom to help you ease it back out when you need it. A choice of five vibrant colors makes your case easy to find amidst the detritus of your bag contents."

"Impact resistant plastic" sound like it should be fairly protective against bends, right? I'm not sure about that, and I don't know how much better protection it would give more than the standard Amazon case. Well, for $27 I guess it's worth a shot. It looks very nice, very light, and very compact. Even if it offered the same protection as the standard Amazon case, I would still prefer the slip case because of the ease of pulling the Kindle in and out.

I'm preferring this sfbags slip case over the Octovo slip case, because this one is cheaper, and maybe more protective. Also, the Octovo case isn't even released yet, and it doesn't even have an expected release date. I'll probably wait a few days before ordering it, because as you can see I'm changing my mind frequently, but I'm very glad that at least I have a good one in mind now.

Thanks
Old 11-25-2010, 02:19 PM   #29
judith009
Groupie

Now I'm even more excited about the sfbags slip case, after reading all of the positive reviews for it at the bottom of the product page (http://www.sfbags.com/products/kindl...ase-kindle.php). Also, their cases are made in the USA, which I think is a big deal. Someone above commented that we have an economic problem because people buy $100 cases for $140 devices. . . I say that the problem is that we're paying the Chinese sweatshops for both the $100 cases and the $140 devices!
Old 11-26-2010, 01:01 PM   #30
OakIris
Addict

Quote:
SWEEET! I love this forum.

So far I guess this is my favorite: http://www.sfbags.com/products/kindl...ase-kindle.php. Thanks Holly for pointing me to the sfbags site. Also, thanks for pointing out that the faux leather cases might not be very rigid. You don't sound very certain of yourself, though - are you sure they're flexible? I guess I've always had my doubts about that - I'm guessing that it has the same flexibility as the Amazon cover.
Well, I don't have an Octovo slip case, so I can't be positive, no, but if you put two pieces of thin leather -or thin faux leather - together, they certainly bend and flex quite easily, don't they? Now if they were using boiled leather to make the cases, like they used to use to make armor out of, they wouldn't be quite as flexible and certainly would have more resistance to impact. But the description is that the leather is "soft and light."

I think you are going to have to buy one of each - including the Oberon cover which is made of good, thick leather - and put them through flex and impact testing and let us know what the results are. (j/k) I think mostly we all just need to be aware that the Kindle is a somewhat fragile piece of electronic equipment and we need to handle it accordingly, know that it is not going to be able to withstand being dropped from 10 feet or being bent in half, no matter what sort of cover we have it in.

Glad you like the Waterfield bags, Judith. I hope you let us know what cover you actually get and whether or not it is sturdier, or at least meets your needs better, than the Amazon cover you currently have.

Holly

Tags
case, hard