Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #106
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I got myself some sun glasses that one can wear over regular glasses, from Amazon - they work much better for me than clip ons do.
I hadn't come across those before - thanks for the recommendation! Amazon do indeed seem to have a good range. I'll have to investigate when the sun finally decides to reappear .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #107
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I like that the over-glasses sunglasses tint light coming in from the sides, as well as the front. The pair I got cost about $6, and so far they've lasted really well.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #108
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I almost always wear at least a simple visor when driving, even at night. It allows you to block off extraneous bright light or glare coming from overhead. During the day, the visor usually makes the sunglasses unnecessary.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:06 PM   #109
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Samsung will be showing bendable screens this year 2-3 years down the road we will have fold able devices. Unfold a few times to get a large screen or fold to get a small screen. Although technology is going in 2 directions at the moment with google glass and other such tech where the data is sent to the eye or brain directly. Add leapmotion to that and we no longer need to touch to interact with our devices.
As long as I don't have to fly up to some space station to get a surgically implanted interface and wake up to find a crazy AI trying to kill me.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #110
Anabana
Zealot
Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire 7" & 10"; 11"(?)-12" Lenovo laptop
Shouldn't the subject be Phablets are the phuture? Phooey.

I just read a short article about the American Dialect Society's annual conference held this week in Boston. Apparently, there was a run-off between phablet and YOLO for the 2012 word Least Likely to Succeed . I wish them both a swift and painless demise.
Anabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:39 AM   #111
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Phablet might make it as a new word in San Francisco --- "oh, this phablet is phabulous!", but hopefully nowhere else.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:13 AM   #112
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Phablet might make it as a new word in San Francisco --- "oh, this phablet is phabulous!", but hopefully nowhere else.
We'll call them tabloons. Larger models will be doubloons. Doubloons will be waterproof and the screens will be designed to work well with hooks. Of course, all the apps would be pirated...
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:28 AM   #113
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
We'll call them tabloons. Larger models will be doubloons. Doubloons will be waterproof and the screens will be designed to work well with hooks. Of course, all the apps would be pirated...
Can you use them as coins too?
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:40 PM   #114
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hey, it's 2014! Who won the bet?!

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:44 PM   #115
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
In case anyone was unsure: phablet is just as dumb of a word in 2014 as it was last year.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:59 PM   #116
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Hey, it's 2014! Who won the bet?!
Hi Apk, you tell me ...

Quote:

Phablets To Outdo Small Tablets In 2014: Technalysis's O'Donnell

In the United States, people routinely mock extra-big smartphones that approach tablet-computer dimensions. Maybe it’s time to stop snickering. Demand for these odd-sized devices is growing so fast in Asia, Europe and Brazil that “phablets” worldwide in 2014 should outsell traditional smaller tablets, predicts Bob O’Donnell, the founder of Technalysis Research.

“I thought phablets were ridiculous at first,” O’Donnell concedes. “How could you hold one to your ear to make a call? But over time, they grow on you.” For 2014, he predicts that 175 million phablets will be sold worldwide, versus a more modest 165 million sales of smaller tablets (screens measuring 8 inches or less on the diagonal.)

O’Donnell has been one of the tech sector’s leading industry analysts over the past 14 years ...

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/georgean...siss-odonnell/

Quote:
IDC: in Asia, phablets now outselling both PCs and tablets

If a camel is a horse created by committee, then a phablet is a device built by indecision between a smartphone and tablet. Whatever the definition, popularity of the product with a screen between five and seven inches diagonally is skyrocketing in much of Asia. According to IDC, sales of phablets led tablets and portable PCs, up 620 percent in the second quarter compared to the same period in 2012…

“Smartphones with screen sizes of five to just under seven inches, colloquially known as phablets, overtook shipments of each of the portable OC and tablet device categories in Asia Pacific (excluding Japan) in the second quarter of 2013,” according to IDC, via Digitimes.

Source: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/09...lets-hot-asia/
And then there's the rumor that Apple is jumping on the phablet bandwagon sometime this year.

So, what do you think?

At any rate, thanks for dredging up this old thread. I recall starting it, but forgot almost everything that was said in it, including our casual bet. It's interesting to go back in time and seeing people's ideas and predictions about a fast growing technology area. I got a real chuckle out of reading some of the comments, particularly those from one skeptic in particular who attempted to undermine the whole idea of phablet growth.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:38 PM   #117
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
My nexus 7.2 wifi only but with a personal hot spot is replacing my laptop for day to day use and living..

I can pay when I shop with it, and be connected to the world.

So yes in time methinks what is rarely done now will become standard..

One device that will dam near do everything for you in life.

(except sex and or the human touch)

And the hell of it in time maybe even that!

?

In my life, of 63 years I have seen sifi turn into reality.

Who in the heck knows what the future holds.

Last edited by DustyDisks; 01-18-2014 at 01:41 PM.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:19 PM   #118
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I reject (and snicker openly at) only the moniker. Probably for much the same reasons the makers of such devices seem to avoid using the term in their own advertising.

I'll be honest. I've yet to hear a human actually say the word. I've only ever seen the silly thing in print. Who's actually pushing the use of the word at this point, anyway? Tech-media? It seems like consumers are buying them and just calling them "phones." *shrugs*
Old 01-18-2014, 03:08 PM   #119
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I reject (and snicker openly at) only the moniker. Probably for much the same reasons the makers of such devices seem to avoid using the term in their own advertising.

I'll be honest. I've yet to hear a human actually say the word. I've only ever seen the silly thing in print. Who's actually pushing the use of the word at this point, anyway? Tech-media? It seems like consumers are buying them and just calling them "phones." *shrugs*

It doesn't bother me. It's neither here nor there. It's just an industry term -- an easy way to refer to a product category. It's quicker than saying "smartphones with a screen size 5-7 inches." At any rate, I wasn't referring to you, DD.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:48 PM   #120
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
It's just an industry term -- an easy way to refer to a product category.
See, I don't think it is, though (an industry term). At least not the industry that manufactures and/or sells the devices. That's why I believe it's a media term. A print-only word that consumers/manufacturer's/retailers don't really use. Which I find a bit odd. It's like the Weather Channel still insisting on naming winter storms when no one else is going for it. Oh, well.

Quote:
At any rate, I wasn't referring to you, DD.
I was hoping my comments were being taken in the spirit they were made.