Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 12-16-2010, 02:44 AM   #1
elliekats
elliekats began at the beginning.

Device: astak
BUYING ASTAK IN AUSTRALIA - HELP

Hi hoping someone can help me: After almost two weeks of researching ereaders I finally decided to purchase an astak 6" ereader. I have read many of the threads here and am happy with my decision. However - I have hit a brick wall in regards to actually purchasing. I went to the website listed by both robertb and jennifer from astak for "international orders" (www.astak.com)only to find that there is absolutely NO mention of ereaders anywhere on the site. So I sent an email to their support area to be told they had sold out. Even if that’s the case - why aren’t the products even listed on this website??? The other website (www.theezreader.com) lists them but they all have sold out against them, and just to double check I went into the purchase area but there is no international option. The service support did suggest I check other areas such as buy.com or Newegg.com - but they didn’t have the astak - unless it’s called something else? And I don’t know what the internationally purchasing/shipping policy is for these companies. At least with the one robertb gave was for overseas purchases (supposedly?). Also - its Xmas - and they have run of of stock already?? And no info on the site to say when the next shipment in etc.

So - I really had my heart set on this product for Xmas, but I feel I am now back to square one, and may end up buying something completely different - or not at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am at my whit’s end.
elliekats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:54 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Astak are currently having some sort of "issue" with selling their devices, and have had for many months now.

However, they are nothing more than rebranded Jinke devices, and the same devices is sold under many different brand names: Hanlin, BeBook, etc. They are all exactly the same reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:00 AM   #3
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Go and have a look at www.ecoreader.com.au. As harryt said the astak readers are rebadged Hanlin readers. Good support and price with the eco reader.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:10 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Ellie. As always, Harry's advice above is sound. There's a long thread running here somewhere about the long-standing unavailability of the device carrying the Astak brand name. Best wishes. Neil

PS: Have you checked out the newly released Australian reader, Kogan? One of my Oz authors has one and is delighted with it. N
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:58 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Go and have a look at www.ecoreader.com.au. As harryt said the astak readers are rebadged Hanlin readers. Good support and price with the eco reader.
Just to clarify, Jinke are the manufacturer. They themselves sell readers under the brand name "Hanlin", but they also re-sell them to other companies, who add their own name to them and re-sell them. As Solicitous says, one such reseller is Ecoreader, who sell specifically to the Australian market, so they'd be a very good place to look.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:34 PM   #6
elliekats

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!! Thank you all for responding so quickly.
I had wondered if the Ecoreader, Ectaco and Hanlin ect where the same as they looked exactly alike. Now I know. I assume all the software etc is the same?

In regards to the kogan (neilmarr) - I will revisit this option - thanks - can't remember now why I crossed it off my list - Does any one here have any goods/bads on the Kogan that they could share with me???

I wanted an ebook that was good at reading non drm files (so lots of file format ability)- as I have LOTs of ebooks on my computer that I downloaded from the web for "free". Not terribly interested in purchasing books at this time. I have about three years worth of books to read first!
Also - I am not much interested in wifi/3g etc. and wanted the ability for extra memory and change out of battery. So the astak fit the bill perfectly. Will jump back into my searching today and let you know how I go. Again - can't thank you all enough for your help.

P.S - Astak must be losing money BIG time - this really is quite shoddy business practice. Especially when companies these days are trying to be lean and profitable. To have access to forums such as this that give them an idea on how well/or not they are doing - and not really improving....
Old 12-16-2010, 05:16 PM   #7
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The software is similar between the Eco reader and Hanlin and astak readers. Lbook have made some great developments with the firmware. You can buy the Eco reader and install the astak, bebook or lbook firmware If you like, and use the one that best suits you.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:04 AM   #8
elliekats

Thanks Solicitous. I had a look at the ecoreader and they look exactly the same and seem identical to the astak. But just to be thorough I went back and had another look at the kobo and kogan.

Kogan: 6inch, Eink, leather case Exp. memory, lots of file formats incl PDF, MP3, wifi - $189.00 Some reviews said you can't bookmark??? Many reviews said it had glitchy software, and was slow for page turns etc?.

Kobo: 6inch, $129 approx, exp. memory, mulit file format. No case?

Couldn’t view the specs in regards to PDF reflow for either one, or whether either had ability to have subfolders for your books – I don’t want to have to troll though 2000 odd books looking for the one I want – I want to be able to sort them into subfolders like sci-fi/classics/nonfiction etc. Can anyone help with that info?

All in all - if I want an ereader that is able to support (well) non-drm files and has good pdf reflow, exp memory, which would be the better one to choose: the ecoreader?
Old 12-17-2010, 05:57 AM   #9
Solicitous
Wizard

The Eco Reader supports sub folders. Essentially you put your ebooks in a folder structure of your choice (and subsequent sub folders) on your PC and copy them to the reader (or use Calibre to manage your ebook library). PDF reflow is supported by the Eco Reader btw.

I can't comment on the Kogan but some reviewers loved it, others didn't (battery life was meant to be well below the 10,000 pages advertised, more like 1,500). A BIG advantage the Eco Reader has over the Kogan is a user replaceable battery, the Eco Reader has a battery door on the back and runs a standard Nokia mobile phone battery (quick google would give you the model number). A second advantage of the Eco Reader as I mentioned before, you can install firmware of your choice, BeBook, Eco Reader, LBook or Astak to find the one that best suits you. I don't know how long Kogan will support their reader, unfortunately some of their past products got released without any subsequent updates (think back to their netbooks which are seen no more).
Old 12-18-2010, 06:47 PM   #10
SmartyPants
Zealot
SmartyPants began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Just thought i'd let you know i saw Ecoreader in Myer yesterday...

$429.. OUCH. This pretty much makes is the most expensive reader on Australian market today!!
Honestly, not worth it.
I know Sony supports non-DRM format. Ok, so the folder structure is lacking, but you can organise your books into collections. Better than nothing.

Unless its possible to find Ecoreader cheaper somewhere.. i dunno. I'd say go for something else.

cheers and Merry Xmas!
SmartyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:17 PM   #11
Solicitous
Wizard

Forget Myer, buying the Eco Reader straight from DADirect.com will cost $199.95 + p&h. www.ecoreader.com.au is the site and when clicking Buy Eco Reader select DADirect.com (Australian company based in Melbourne I believe).

I think Myer still have the old price from a year or so ago when they were that much.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:33 AM   #12
elliekats

Thanks - went with DA Direct for $199 - hoping it gets here in time for Xmas. Will post back on how it is. Thanks again for everyone's help. Happy Xmas.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:43 PM   #13
SmartyPants
Zealot
SmartyPants began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Forget Myer, buying the Eco Reader straight from DADirect.com will cost $199.95 + p&h. .
well thats more reasonable.
SmartyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:51 AM   #14
jadflat
jadflat began at the beginning.

Device: Eco Eclpse
you can also get the eco eclipse from ebay for $120 plus shipping
jadflat is offline   Reply With Quote