Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-28-2013, 12:46 AM   #1
maxlawman
maxlawman is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaxlawman is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaxlawman is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaxlawman is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaxlawman is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaxlawman is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaxlawman is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaxlawman is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaxlawman is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaxlawman is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaxlawman is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Sony
Replacing internal SD card?

Has anyone experimented with replacing the internal SD card in an Aura with one of a higher capacity? I have done this with my Glo, but was wondering how easy the same process is to do on an Aura.
maxlawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:08 AM   #2
BWinmill
Nameless Being

No, but I've done some research that may help you out.

Getting into the Aura is tricky to do without causing cosmetic damage, but can be done without causing structural damage. Once the back cover has been removed, the internal microSD card is easy to access.

The SD card uses a standard partition table (MBR scheme, though presumably it uses a different boot strap), so modifications can be done using the standard partitioning tools for Linux, Macintosh, and Windows.

There are two ext4 partitions (root and recovery) that contain a copy of the systems' software. There is a third FAT32 partition that is user accessible.

About 10 MB of space is unclaimed in the partition map. This may be used by the system. I don't know.

I'm guessing that you can do a raw copy from the Aura's low capacity card to a higher capacity card (e.g. using dd) then using a partitioning tool to enlarge the FAT32 partition. Just don't overwrite the 10 MB of unclaimed space at the start of the media to be safe.

EDIT: incidentally, it uses the same firmware as the Glo so everything should work in the same way.

Last edited by BWinmill; 05-28-2013 at 01:10 AM. Reason: see posting for addition
Advert
Old 05-28-2013, 01:48 AM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Actualy, I have. I have an 8GB uSD in mine now. I basically just followed the thread
for upgrading the Glo. It was the easy to do.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209122

Luck;
Ken

If you decide to spray paint the case while you have the electronics out,
make sure you don't get any on the black plastic inside the bezel.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 05-28-2013 at 02:39 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:13 AM   #4
theonna
One
theonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony, Kindle,Pocketbook, Nook...
Can you explain, how can you efficiently use expanded card?
Even with regular size, fully filled internal card would take around 4 thousand books, and take hour and a half indexing them...Is there some secret way to load a double and have it be functional, without needing to manually assign collections? Or have let's say 50 collections and not have it slow to a crawl?
theonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:25 AM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonna View Post
Even with regular size, fully filled internal card would take around 4 thousand books, and take hour and a half indexing them...Is there some secret way to load a double and have it be functional, without needing to manually assign collections? Or have let's say 50 collections and not have it slow to a crawl?
First, you don't have to put more on the card if you don't want to.

Second, I may be an optimist but it may someday be corrected by a
firmware upgrade.

Thirdly, because I can.

And... being reasonable gets boring, sometimes.

Luck;
Ken
Advert
Old 05-28-2013, 02:30 AM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
And... being reasonable gets boring, sometimes.

Luck;
Ken
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change ready.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:20 AM   #7
maxlawman
maxlawman is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaxlawman is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaxlawman is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaxlawman is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaxlawman is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaxlawman is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaxlawman is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaxlawman is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaxlawman is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaxlawman is kind to children and small, furry animalsmaxlawman is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Getting into the Aura is tricky to do without causing cosmetic damage, but can be done without causing structural damage. Once the back cover has been removed, the internal microSD card is easy to access.
As compared to the Glo, how hard is it? That is, how do you remove the back of the Aura, and what damage did you do when you did yours?
maxlawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:20 AM   #8
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Even with regular size, fully filled internal card would take around 4 thousand books,
4000 1MB books, or 400 10MB books, or 40 100MB books, .... Many books are larger than 1MB.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:29 AM   #9
theonna
One
theonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony, Kindle,Pocketbook, Nook...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
4000 1MB books, or 400 10MB books, or 40 100MB books, .... Many books are larger than 1MB.
We can do it forever, plenty of books are larger, still plenty of them are smaller, hence "around" or "about" 4000 books. Problem, obviously, that as it is now, Kobo soft cant handle that many.

Also are there maybe photos on how to remove the cover, or it can not be done without some breaking?
theonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:50 AM   #10
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
We can do it forever, plenty of books are larger, still plenty of them are smaller, hence "around" or "about" 4000 books. Problem, obviously, that as it is now, Kobo soft cant handle that many.
I have 460 books, occupying about 1.1GB (including database and cover images), so if I had a 4GB card I would expect to run out of space at about 1400-1500 books. Others have had over 4000 books on a Mini, the Aura is faster so should be able to handle more than that.

Last edited by GeoffR; 05-28-2013 at 06:10 AM. Reason: 1400-1500 books: forgot to allow space for firmware.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:13 AM   #11
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxlawman View Post
As compared to the Glo, how hard is it? That is, how do you remove the back of the Aura, and what damage did you do when you did yours?
I can only compare it to a Kobo Touch. I would say that it took more time to open the Aura since the plastic is thinner (and seems softer) while the gap between the bezel and back case is trickier to get into in order to pry it apart.

The case is held together by plastic clips. There are six on each side and they are spaced evenly. Now that I've been inside a couple of times, I can simply force my fingernails into the seam between the bezel and back case, pry it upwards a little bit, use another fingernail to pry the side of the back case outwards, then just run the second fingernail down the edge until it pops open. I worked from a corner, doing a long edge first then a short edge. Even with the four edges free, the bezel is attached to the screen with tape. The two sided tape runs all of the way around the opening. Just pry it apart slowly with your fingers.

Opening it the first time seemed harder. I'm not sure if it's because I didn't know what to expect or if it's because the plastic was stiffer. (Ken Maltby offered good advice, but I'm more of a tactile person.) Either way, I found myself using a small screw driver to do the initial prying apart at the corner and using a piece of stiff plastic to run along the edge. The screwdriver definitely dinged the plastic in the corner. Then again, the plastic is soft enough that my fingernails wire nibbling away at the edges when prying.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #12
Ken Maltby
Wizard

I must have stronger thumbnails, no screwdriver needed (although a sonic one might
come in handy). When you open it the first time the tape needs to come off the slick
plastic screen surface and stay on the bezel, that is what it naturally wants to do, so
just take your time prying the bezel off and you should be fine.

I've had my first one apart and back together more than half a dozen times and the
clips are still working, the tape is even still a little sticky.

Luck;
Ken
Old 05-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #13
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
A thin guitar plectrum would do the job nicely.
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #14
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynton View Post
A thin guitar plectrum would do the job nicely.
Of course we who are more plebeian would just use a guitar pick.

Luck;
Ken
Old 05-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #15
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
English: plectrum
U.S. English: pick

Take your pick :-)
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote