Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-30-2008, 07:53 AM   #46
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Looks like skydiving is a great remedy against the fear.
possibly, but i'm not sure i could get over my fear of falling long enough to cure my fear of flying.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:00 AM   #47
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Looks like skydiving is a great remedy against the fear.
It's a great remedy for everything that ails you if it doesn't go according to plan.

...and also an opportunity to quote Pratchett:

"I'm not going to ride on a magic carpet!" he hissed.
"I'm afraid of grounds."
"You mean heights," said Conina. "And stop being silly."
"I know what I mean! It's the grounds that kill you!"

-- (Terry Pratchett, Sourcery)

Cheers,
Marc (who's not afraid of flying, but who is taunted by motion sickness instead)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2008, 08:09 AM   #48
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
"I'm not going to ride on a magic carpet!" he hissed.
"I'm afraid of grounds."
"You mean heights," said Conina. "And stop being silly."
"I know what I mean! It's the grounds that kill you!"

-- (Terry Pratchett, Sourcery)
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:43 AM   #49
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-350, Augen "The Book"
It's not the actual flying that I dislike the most; it's the airport experience.

I don't know how pre-flight "security" is handled eslewhere, but in the US, the TSA screeners make flying far more unpleasant than it needs to be. I propose that TSA agents and the current farce of "security theater" be replaced with a crack team of border collies. There are several advantages to this scheme:

A.) Dogs are excellent judges of character.
B.) Dogs can be trained to sniff out contraband in luggage.
C.) The border collie's natural herding instinct will keep people in line.
D.) Dogs will work for kibble, saving American taxpayers millions of dollars.

Now I need to figure out a way to replace grumpy airline gate agents with smiling, friendly pandas.
kilohertz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:47 AM   #50
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilohertz53 View Post
It's not the actual flying that I dislike the most; it's the airport experience.

I don't know how pre-flight "security" is handled eslewhere, but in the US, the TSA screeners make flying far more unpleasant than it needs to be. I propose that TSA agents and the current farce of "security theater" be replaced with a crack team of border collies. There are several advantages to this scheme:

Now I need to figure out a way to replace grumpy airline gate agents with smiling, friendly pandas.
if we implemented that plan, i think i would find flying a much more agreeable experience as well !!! (well, up to the actual plane part, anyway).
Advert
Old 07-30-2008, 09:09 AM   #51
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I would love flying, if it weren't for the airlines. I pray for turbulence on long flights to 1) rock me to sleep 2) shut my neighbor up for awhile.

At one point in time I worked for a company that had a few amateur pilots. I was able to take a few business trips where we flew one of their planes, small Cessnas. Incredible. Loved every minute of it.

I've also flown on Learjets, again - amazing.

Hmm - time for the airplane avatar again.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:14 AM   #52
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Believe me, it was one of the weiderst moments in my life when a skydiving instructor opened the door on the airplane and looked out if we are on a proper spot for jumping. We were cruising for quite a long time with open door right in front of me (cca 1m from where I was seated on a long wooden bench (without any kind of seat-belt)) and the plane was banking gently.
Since then I have no fear to fly on anything ;-)

I believe the same AN2 that was already very old 20 years ago serves the skydiving club today.
Well, you did have a parachute on.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:15 AM   #53
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilohertz53 View Post

We are the Pandorg. Resistance is futile. You will be acutelated.

But even we have standards.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:26 AM   #54
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Some years ago I knew a fellow who was in the US military (Rangers) who was afraid of landing. He'd been on hundreds of "jumps" from planes but had never "landed" on one.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:27 AM   #55
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Some years ago I knew a fellow who was in the US military (Rangers) who was afraid of landing. He'd been on hundreds of "jumps" from planes but had never "landed" on one.
you know, landing (and taking off) is the part i appreciate least when flying as well, but it would never occur to me to avoid it by exiting the plane before it reaches the ground. something of a radical solution, it seems to me.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:49 AM   #56
pshrynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
you know, landing (and taking off) is the part i appreciate least when flying as well, but it would never occur to me to avoid it by exiting the plane before it reaches the ground. something of a radical solution, it seems to me.
Well, you do have your jet boots now...
Old 07-30-2008, 09:58 AM   #57
zelda_pinwheel

good point.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:13 AM   #58
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
you know, landing (and taking off) is the part i appreciate least when flying ...
What makes people anxious about the landing?
That's my favourite part.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:17 AM   #59
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
What makes people anxious about the landing?
That's my favourite part.
my favorite part is just *after* landing, when you get to leave the plane !
Old 07-30-2008, 10:23 AM   #60
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
That's my least favorite part, because you don't really get to leave the plane after landing. You have to taxi. Wait. Taxi. Wait. Gate. Wait. Stand-up, help the lady get her bag, wait... and your reward? You're in another airport.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clouds of enlightenment