Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 09-06-2006, 09:45 AM   #1
jessesn
jessesn began at the beginning.

PDF Cropper

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any advise on a free and/or easy to use PDF cropper to remove all the margins in a PDF? I'm currently using PocketXPDF as my reader. Also if anyone has any other suggestions for a PDF reader I'm interested as well. FoxIt looked interested, but did not have full screen capability or the ability to rotate. I looked at ClearVue as well which as I recall had the same limitations. Anyways open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Jesse
jessesn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:27 PM   #2
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Acrobat Pro, of course, has easy to use margin cropping tools. You can crop entire books of pages at once, any and all sides at once.

Of course, Pro isn't free, and the free reader won't crop.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2006, 06:14 AM   #3
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
jessesn, maybe this helps.
pdftk is discussed in this thread.

Last edited by yokos; 10-27-2006 at 06:15 AM. Reason: odd spelling
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:44 AM   #4
vstefanyuk
Connoisseur
vstefanyuk began at the beginning.

PDFCropper

PDFCropper is the application, designed to solve the problem with preparing for reading normal sized (A4, B4, C4, letter etc.) pdf's on relative small (Sony Reader PRS500/PRS505, iRex Illiad etc.) devices.

The problem is that pdf is not reformat able by nature. Yes, there is reflow mode in Acrobat Reader, but at first Acrobat Reader is not available for most e-book readers (especially for e-ink devices),
and second even with reflow function reading of complex content (technical books, magazines etc.) is not comfortable. Bad formatted pdf's and wide white spaces make the situation even worse.

The only way how this problem can be solved (at least based on my experience) to cut original pages into smaller pages with removing white spaces.
This is exactly what program do. But comparing with similar software PDFCropper is much more flexible, that allows to prepare books with much better quality in a very short time.

PDFCropper can produce text and image pdf's.

PDFCropper web-site currently is under construction. But it is already available for downloading:

PDFCropper v1.1 RC1 links:

http://rapidshare.com/files/87491638...Setup.exe.html
or
http://www.filefactory.com/file/a07bc5/
or
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JI7CM0N4

Trial version of PDFCropper is fully functional, the only thing - output pages include watermark (which by the way displays registration code that you need for obtaining license).

And you can download and value an example of prepared (cropped) pdf:

This is original one - http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/d...ngspec-3.0.pdf

These are links to cropped one:

http://rapidshare.com/files/87301097...ation.pdf.html
or
http://www.filefactory.com/file/252400/
or
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8KW32DJT

And these are links to the one cropped as image pages (only some pages are there, due large file size):

http://rapidshare.com/files/87486857...rtly_.pdf.html
or
http://www.filefactory.com/file/d02ead/
or
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MJCYT8KH

Also, anyone interesting in software, can send me example pdf, and I will send back resulted pdf prepared via application.

License price per one computer is 20 euro. Payment can be made via PayPal or directly to bank account.

You can ask any questions about using or installing software and details about purchasing the license via e-mail:

vstefanyuk@gmail.com

P.S. Application is implemented by using Java. You have to have installed Java environment version 1.5 or higher.
Also Ghostscript has to be installed. In case if it is not, application will propose you to download.

Change log:
v1.1 RC1 - fixed the bug with adding table of contents (now appropriate menu item in Sony PRS 500/505 display table of contents correctly).
added separate option for adding clickable table of contents pages.
added displaying of table of contents in the left pane.
improved auto-framing functionality - added possiblty to create frames with size proportional to device size (paper size setting in Crop Settings dialog).
improved cropping funcionality - added possibility to remove empty frames in resulting pdf ("Skip empty frames" option in Crop dialog).
improved dialogs input errors displaying, errorness fields are highlighted by red.
fixed bug with deleting last unaccessible project reference from recent projects list.
added pdf restrictions checking during opening pdf. in case if there are no enough rights for pdf manipulating - program will ask pdf user password.
example pdf's are updated.
simplified trial mode - removed pages shuffling!

Last edited by vstefanyuk; 01-29-2008 at 05:11 AM.
vstefanyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:01 AM   #5
vstefanyuk
Connoisseur

PDFCropper v1.2 RC4. Now with pdf reflow support!!!

Change log:
v1.2 RC4 - added "Embed fonts" and "Text encoding" settings in Crop dialog. Minor bugs fixes.
v1.2 RC3 - minor bugs fixes. Errors are saved in log-file.
v1.2 RC2 - added "Proportional frame scaling" and "Create temporary pdf" settings in Crop dialog.
v1.2 RC1 - added reflow support!!!, added frames index incrementing/decrementing functionality (eq. frame moving), improved auto-frames functionality - added support for frames layout (Down to right, right to down) and added support for frames reflow, fixed bugs with processing rotated documents.

PDFCropper v1.2 RC4 links:

http://rapidshare.com/files/95447622...Setup.exe.html
or
http://www.filefactory.com/file/a14ef1/
or
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EAN0P360
Advert
Old 03-03-2008, 04:34 PM   #6
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Kindle
I tried the cropper utility, and after installing the latest java runtime and ghostscript it kind of worked. It did however insist on not only cropping away the white margins but also to split each side in two, which might be helpful to some but not useful to me since I use the Cybook.

Since the program also print “unregistered version” and shit on all pages of the cropped PDF it is not useful in any way.
Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:23 AM   #7
vstefanyuk
Connoisseur

You have to understand the program to use it properly. How long did you play with it?
Yes, there is no manual yet. But it is just question of time. In a few days release version will be produced and site will appear.

Send me example pdf to vstefanyuk@gmail.com, I will send you back prepared one. You can see what possible to do with a program.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:29 PM   #8
Razi
Zealot
Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba E740, Cassiopeia, iLiad, iPad, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Can you crop pages and keep them in 'Portrait' form instead of halving them and insisting on reading them in 'Landscape' mode? There must be a way of nicely cropping away margins in .pdf files.
Razi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:58 AM   #9
vstefanyuk
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razi View Post
Can you crop pages and keep them in 'Portrait' form instead of halving them and insisting on reading them in 'Landscape' mode? There must be a way of nicely cropping away margins in .pdf files.
Course. Just go to www.pdfcropper.com and look at Samples section
Old 03-22-2008, 03:51 PM   #10
ladynikon
ladynikon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Reader 3 inch
Prospect - If you had read his intro about the pdf cropper you would have noticed it talks about the unregistered version appearing on the pages.

Granted you wanted a free version and he is peddling his warez here but still.

vstefanyuk - I think your program is nice. I just don't have $30 US to spend on it. I am a lowly college student. If you come out with a student price feel free to let me know ^.^
ladynikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 05:33 PM   #11
TommyCooper
Enthusiast
TommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enough

Device: Rocket Reader, CyBook, Asus EEE PC
ladynikon - sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but you might give this link a try.

http://www.pdfill.com/pdf_tools_free.html

I haven't examined it too closely, so apologies in advance if it's not what you want.

Tommy
TommyCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:15 AM   #12
dandan77
Enthusiast
dandan77 began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader mio180
how i resize the fonts ?

if i alredy cropped the pages how i resieze the fonts to fit theme to sony reader ?
dandan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:56 AM   #13
vstefanyuk
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandan77 View Post
if i alredy cropped the pages how i resieze the fonts to fit theme to sony reader ?
To change font size you have to crop pdf via reflow method and specify in Crop dialog font magnifier. The latest version is 1.26, btw. It is available at www.pdfcropper.com.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:57 AM   #14
vstefanyuk
Connoisseur

Updated to v1.29

Latest version can be downloaded at www.pdfcropper.com

Change log:

v1.29

* improved auto-frames functionality. Added ability to aggregate detected frames area for custom pages. Added ability to define frames of custom pages by detecting frames splits (eq. smart cut)!!!
* improved reflow functionality. Optimized processing of highlighted text (titles etc.) and blocks of text with proportional font size (program code etc.)
* fixed bug with page flipping, previously frames area was not rotated
* fixed bug with deleting temporary files that were created during producing images pdf (if you used to create images pdfs, please, check your temporary folder, delete files that are started with "pdc", sorry for inconvenience)

v1.28

* fixed bugs with displaying list of pages functionality

v1.27

* fixed bugs with auto-frames and crop functionality (they appear for pdf's with non-zero media box location)
* fixed bugs with editing page groups
* added displaying list of pages functionality

Last edited by vstefanyuk; 06-13-2008 at 05:00 AM.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:17 AM   #15
ePossum
Enthusiast
ePossum began at the beginning.

Device: iliad v.2, Dana Alphasmart
Quote:
PDFCropper is the application, designed to solve the problem with preparing for reading normal sized (A4, B4, C4, letter etc.) pdf's on relative small (Sony Reader PRS500/PRS505, iRex Illiad etc.) devices.
Why would you 'crop' a pdf to read on an iLiad, when the iLiad pdf reader has a really easy to use bulit in zoom funtion?
ePossum is offline   Reply With Quote