Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-04-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
veysey
Enthusiast
veysey doesn't litterveysey doesn't litter

Device: Sony ?
Spontaneously rebooting the 505?

I have an encountered a rather odd problem, and have no choice but to appeal to the experts here to see if anyone else has ever seen something similar.

I created an epub from a website with calibre, and loaded it onto my week-old 505. I can open it on the ereader, and even read the first few pages and the table of contents. But when I reach the main body of the document, the 505 says it's "formatting" the document - and then it re-boots!

Bizarre and replicable. The book appears to be perfectly valid and viewable within calibre. Anyone seen anything like this? Can certain books reboot the machine?

For those who care, here are the details:
I'm running a "customized" 505 that is otherwise behaving normally. I used web2disk on this website: "http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/06/magazine/06Economic-t.html?em=&pagewanted=print", creating an xhtml file that I then converted into an epub with the calibre gui.

This is a curiousity more than a problem. I can obviously create a readable document through other means.

Thanks + cheers!
veysey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
It's happened to me once before when I tried to convert an html file to epub. It would crash 4 or 5 pages into the document.

Try to convert the original html to LRF to see if the same problem occurs.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
I've had it happen a couple of times when opening or changing the font on a book I've uploaded to my 505. Both lrf and epubs. Never happened twice even when re-opening the same file.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:02 PM   #4
mollybo
Connoisseur
mollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with others

Device: Rocket eBook, Gemstar, and Kindle 3
Happens fairly regularly for me (I'm a heavy reader, so "fairly regularly" means "every now and then" for most people). It's usually not replicable for me. It's extraordinarily frustrating, because about 20% of the time, I lose all my bookmarks and collections, too.
mollybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:53 PM   #5
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybo View Post
Happens fairly regularly for me (I'm a heavy reader, so "fairly regularly" means "every now and then" for most people). It's usually not replicable for me. It's extraordinarily frustrating, because about 20% of the time, I lose all my bookmarks and collections, too.
this happens all the time to me too. I started keeping my Calibre more up to date as a result so I can delete everything and move over the files again.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2009, 11:31 PM   #6
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by veysey View Post
But when I reach the main body of the document, the 505 says it's "formatting" the document - and then it re-boots!

Bizarre and replicable.
Like all of you, I've seen reboots. But I never-ever have seen a book that consistently reboots the reader.

I wonder what it does to 600?

Veysey, since the source page is accessible from the web, I guess there would be no problems if you attach the resulting ePub file. Would you be so kind, please?

I am running unmodified 1.1.01.25200, and can, at least, eliminate possibility that firmware customization is the cause of reboot.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:54 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
This used to happen to me on my 505 that I sold when getting a K2. It seemed to happen most often when the battery got a little low. It would be at 3 bars and then after rebooting would have dropped a bar (sometimes 2) as well as losing collections. This happened pretty often as I usually read 4-6 books a week.

I just bought a "new" 505 from a forum member. It'll be interesting to see if it behaves the same.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:17 AM   #8
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/iPhone 6 Plus/iPad mini
Quote:
Thank heavens, I'm not the only person this is happening to! I've wondered if I was alone, because I searched through the forum and it didn't seem like anyone else had a problem with sudden and regular reboots. The really bad thing is that it's starting to happen with my mother's 505--and hers is only three months old! (The first time it happened, I apologized profusely to her, because I persuaded her to buy it. She said as long as she didn't lose the books, she was okay.)

One thing that seems to help: When I finish reading a book, I return to the "Search by Author" or "Search by Title" page, then turn off the reader for a few minutes (or longer). Then I turn it back on, select the next book, and start reading. Before I thought of doing this, I was getting reboots every 2-3 books. Since I started doing this, the reboots have slowed to about every 8-10 books. If you're like me, having to wait a bit between books is a little frustrating--especially if you're in the middle of a series and you want to start the next book right away! But I'd rather have a short break between the books than the frustration of the reboot and loss of collections every few days.

I wish I had only lost bookmarks and collections 20% of the time--I have yet to recover bookmarks or collections when it reboots.

Last edited by wallflower75; 09-05-2009 at 10:34 AM.
wallflower75 is offline   Reply With Quote