Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #1
ebmr
Zealot
ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: none
PRS-T2 and PRS-T3 PDF reflow bug

In the forum of German allesebook.de, information was provided that there is a checkable PDF reflow bug with the T2 which hasn't even been fixed with the T3.

It can be seen (for example) with the PDF version of this IBM redbook, but exists with many other PDF files, too. Just go to page 10, change the font size to 3 (the one right to the standard size) and the page will end with "registered trademarks of Texas Memory Systems, an IBM". The rest of the page, namely "Company. [...]" will disappear, and next page already is page 11 "Preface".

Although Sony emphasizes the PDF abilities of its readers, only the old T1 seems to be free of bugs. The T2 and T3 suffer from a bug that will make it impossible to read PDF text information in reflow mode, because parts of the text might simply disappear.

Even if it might not make any difference, because Sony isn't much into firmware updates, please report to your Sony support. It will you cost only an email.

Maybe a noticeable number of emails on this subject will help to get this bug fixed. (And don't except the answers from the support to reset your reader or to check your firmware version or that this is a special problem with this document. Chase it up. This is neither a problem with your reader nor with the PDF, but the Sony reader software which has to be fixed. Neither the T1 nor - as known so far - any ebook reader of any other company allowing PDF reflow suffers from this bug.)
ebmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
Jasmine GreenTea
Enthusiast
Jasmine GreenTea began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Elipsa E2, Kobo Aura H20 ed 2, Kobo Clara, Sony PRS T2 & T3
Yes

I have noticed that bug too. It occurs usually at the bottom of pages, not all pages though. The amount of text that is clipped varies. Usually it's just a line or two. But sometimes it can be 3-4 lines.

I think it has to do with certain types of formatting of PDF files. Some of my PDF files are completely free of this problem. Some are not.

I also noticed that this seems to occur mostly on pages that have a header.

I could find a way of getting around it, by modifying the font size to smaller sizes. At some point the mising text just resurfaces.
Jasmine GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine GreenTea View Post
...I think it has to do with certain types of formatting of PDF files. Some of my PDF files are completely free of this problem. Some are not...
I cannot comment with regard to the T2 & T3 but I have had the same happen a number of times on a T1. What I have found is that if I rebuild the PDF (just using a virtual PDF printer such as PrimoPDF) the problem seems to be cured.

So if the cause is the same as being experienced on the T2 & T3 (and maybe other readers too) then it would seem to me that your observation is likely valid.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:05 AM   #4
ebmr
Zealot
ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Wow, 652 views. How many of you viewers wrote to the support?

I'm sure 652 emails would have some effect...
Old 10-08-2013, 06:30 AM   #5
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebmr View Post
It can be seen (for example) with the PDF version of this IBM redbook, but exists with many other PDF files, too.
IBM now also issues genuine EPUBs of their redbooks. Might help you.

Just my 2 cts.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
ebmr
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
IBM now also issues genuine EPUBs of their redbooks. Might help you.
It's not about IBM redbooks (this particular pdf is just an example), it's about making Sony fix a reader bug.