Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #46
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Joe Haldeman (although a lot of Star Ship Trooper movie was based on Forever War)
Really? The only war novel that the movie Starship Troopers was less like than the novel of the same name was, imo, "The Forever War".

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #47
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I think a lot of authors deeply distrust Hollywood, and simply won't sell movie rights. Only one of the Travis McGee series was made into a movie, it was terrible, and John D MacDonald wouldn't sell movie rights to any more of them.

But he did of course sell movie rights to non-Travis McGee titles such as Condimumium, and several others.

Ditto Carl Hiassen. Striptease the movie was yuk.

Asimov would have hated I, Robot, the movie, because it was exactly the thing his series of short stories, I, Robot was protesting against: the cliche Frankenstein theme. As soon as I heard Will Smith was to star I knew it was going to be a turkey - all noise and action and no brains. And brainless Frankesntein theme all over again, reversing the thrust of the stories.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #48
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Oh, and Geogette Heyer. She too was so angry at a movie of one of her novels - The Reluctant Widow - that she wouldn't sell movie rights to any of the others.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:46 PM   #49
idraw22
Zealot
idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle 3, jetbook mini, sony clie, sony prs-T1
Hi,

Did someone already say Johnathan Blish? Oh, and Robert Asprin, too.
idraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:25 PM   #50
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I don't think any of his full length novels have been made into movies, but there have been a number of Asimov adaptations based on his shorter fiction, including Bicentennial Man, Nightfall and I Robot; to my knowledge, all of these adaptations (except Harlan Ellison's script for Nightfall basically stunk.

--
Bill
I liked I, Robot with Will Smith.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2012, 11:47 PM   #51
Hershel
Hershel began at the beginning.

Device: HTC smartphone
AFAIK, Jack Chalker has never had a movie made of one of his books. His most famous series was the Nathan Brazil saga, but he's written tons of others.

I'll see Midnight's Children if it comes out. The book was weird and fascinating.
Hershel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:35 AM   #52
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
I don't think any of his full length novels have been made into movies, but there have been a number of Asimov adaptations based on his shorter fiction, including Bicentennial Man, Nightfall and I Robot; to my knowledge, all of these adaptations (except Harlan Ellison's script for Nightfall basically stunk.

--
Bill
I was about to say "Aha! What about The Fantastic Voyage?" (with Raquel Welch, no less). But it turns out he wrote the book based on the screen play (and actually finished it before the movie was done). Oh well. Close but no cigar.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:32 AM   #53
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Quote:

--
Bill
Bicentennial man was done from the book that was jointly made with Silverberg, AFAIK. So it might be possible to argue it's not from a book of Isaac.

As for "I, Robot", does anyone who knows the book really consider the movie to be based upon the book?
If so, how can you justify that? They took the names from the book and sprinkled it atop a script from someone who probably doesn't even know who Asimov was.
I still wonder if a reprint of the original book with the movie cover (and tagline) should be considered fraud or not.
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #54
Borges
Borges has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: sony
Are there any movies from Thomas Pynchon , Carol Shields, James Baldwin or Kilgore Trout.
Borges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #55
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
The behavior of the robots in the Will Smith "I, Robot" is, in my opinion, a legitimate interpretation of Asimov's Zeroth Law of Robotics: "A robot may not harm humanity, or, by inaction, allow humanity to come to harm."

This trumps the First Law, and then you're subject to whatever the robots' idea of what is harmful to humanity.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #56
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Iain M. Banks. Consider Phlebas would be awesome.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #57
RichL
Evangelist
RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: back to x51v
Stephen Hawking
RichL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #58
mfowler413
mfowler413 doesn't littermfowler413 doesn't litter

Device: BeBook Neo, Kindle 3, Kobo Original
Sue Grafton will not allow any of her books to be made into movies. Too bad, I think they could be good movies or a good tv series based on the books.
mfowler413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:39 AM   #59
G.A.McUrso
G.A.McUrso began at the beginning.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook Mini
I regret to inform you that there was a film made of Poul Anderson's "High Crusade" The reason for my regret is it was a cheaply made abomination that is a disgrace to everyone involved in its production.
G.A.McUrso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #60
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Forest Carter wrote Gone To Texas. It was made into the movie The Outlaw Josey Wales. I so wanted to see the sequel made into a movie too. I got my wish. Unfortunately it was made as a cheap and terrible movie strictly to cash in on the original.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote