Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-02-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
intunachintu
Banned
intunachintu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Disadvantages of Doukan firmware

I know it's advantages. New file formats, improved mp3 and pdf. Beside this pros I'm interested to know what are it's disadvantages ?
intunachintu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
I find the fonts not nearly as readable as the ones for the Kindle books.

Plus, I have a continuing problem with the Home Page listing all the books twice, but only one of the entries will launch the book.

It's still a worthwhile application if you don't want to convert books from ePub.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Can't you just put in your own fonts?
Barty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:05 PM   #4
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
It uses about 80MB of memory. Some of the fonts aren't great. The help file is only in Chinese. That's all I can think of.

Oh yeah, why doesn't anyone offer better collection management on these devices? It's nice to have 3 GB of storage available, but if I put more than 50 or 60 books in the device finding any given book starts becoming a problem.
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:13 PM   #5
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Unless it has changed, the ever-present title bar while reading is a big minus.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2011, 02:37 AM   #6
baccilus
Enthusiast
baccilus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
It cant read the books you have bought off Amazon. That is the biggest problem according to me. And I can not find any easy way to make collections. Additionally, periodicals do not automatically go into the periodicals folder like they do in the Kindle. The only good reason to use it to read journal PDF articles because non-DRM ePubs can be converted with Calibre any way.
baccilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:45 AM   #7
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by baccilus View Post
It cant read the books you have bought off Amazon. That is the biggest problem according to me. And I can not find any easy way to make collections. Additionally, periodicals do not automatically go into the periodicals folder like they do in the Kindle. The only good reason to use it to read journal PDF articles because non-DRM ePubs can be converted with Calibre any way.
When I first got my Kindle, I was managing books by placing them in folders according to genre and managing collections on the Kindle interface with Kindle Collection Manager. This system of sorting (sans KCM) worked pretty well with Duokan too...everything was easy to find through folders.

Eventually, I saw the light and started managing my device completely through Calibre and the collections plugin. (It's true, Calibre's greatness doesn't end at file conversion!)

Duokan might be fun to tinker around with, but for me, can't hold a candle to the Kindle's own firmware, especially when Calibre is part of the picture. What really puts my experience with Duokan into perspective is that even though I've installed it a couple different times, I haven't read a book or even a short story with it.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:56 PM   #8
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
It only handles open epubs, doesn't it? Not drm.

If it could handle library books straight from download it would really be something.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:18 AM   #9
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Can you easily go back to 3.1 once you install it? Can Amazon tell you've been running it?
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #10
baccilus
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
Can you easily go back to 3.1 once you install it? Can Amazon tell you've been running it?
Yes you can. There is in fact an option in Doukan itself to go into Kindle. I do not think amazon can tell or cares about this. They would have if Douokan was awesome. It is a good effort but not really great enough to replace the Amazon Kindle firmware. For me where it really shines is its handling of journal articles.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:09 AM   #11
Starko
Zealot
Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
There is only one thing that i noticed straight away - every time you move to the next page you can see ghost of the previous one. The white space of the screen looks like a matrix of small grayish dots.

I have not finished a single book on Duokan either... hard to say why. It is similar to me trying Linux every year and going back to Windows.
Starko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #12
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starko View Post
There is only one thing that i noticed straight away - every time you move to the next page you can see ghost of the previous one. The white space of the screen looks like a matrix of small grayish dots.

I have not finished a single book on Duokan either... hard to say why. It is similar to me trying Linux every year and going back to Windows.
On the first page of the Duokan settings there are a few options listed for Page-Turns. One of them is "Full Refresh(Pages)". That number tells Duokan how often you want to screen to refresh. The default is every 6 pages. If you set it to 1 the screen will refresh with every page turn (normal mode in the Kindle firmware).

There is also Page Flip option "Instant mode" and "Normal mode". I don't see any difference between the two. Maybe they are getting ready to add that feature in a future release.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #13
baccilus
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starko View Post

Please do not compare Doukan with GNU/Linux. GNU/Linux just does things differently, not necessarily in a more difficult way. It is difficult to use Doukan for any length of time because its not good enough yet.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:48 PM   #14
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist

I use Linux and Duokan. Both seem good enough to me.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #15
baccilus
Enthusiast

Well then maybe I need to spend more time with Doukan.