Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-02-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
flhden
flhden
flhden began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs300, Kindle 3 wi fi, Kindle Fire
Loading books to Kindle 3 wi fi

I read with a sony prs 300 and this week after seeing the new kindle at best buy, I had to have one. They sold out at best buy in 4 hrs so I ordered one from amazon and it is to arrive this week. I would like to pre purchase a few books but I am not sure about syncing with the kindle. I installed the kindle for mac software on my mac thinking it would be like the sony and I would have to buy through the software and wirelessly sync with the kindle. After reading I believe the kindle will access the amazon store directly. The amazon store has pre registered the kindle so when I go to buy a book it gives me the option to dl to my computer or to my kindle , which I do not have yet. Somewhat confused at this point. Any help will be greatly appreciated. What is whispersync btw?
flhden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
donschjr
donschjr is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle, Nook HD+
I just bought a Kindle last week and when it arrived and I turned it on it downloaded the 3 books I had bought while waiting for it to arrive.
donschjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Whispersync is Amazon's name for the connection between their devices and the Kindle servers. This started out as a private cell phone network on the Kindle 1/2/DX, but can be over the Internet (e.g. WiFi) on the Kindle 3 and on all Kindle software (Desktop, iPhone, etcetera).

Most Kindle ebooks can be authorized for 6 devices simultaneously, but each Kindle ebook file is locked to one device. Here, your Kindle 3 and K4Mac are each "devices". So you can read your Kindle ebooks on your Mac if you want, but in any case the needed ebook files will be downloaded to your K3 when it arrives (via either WiFi or AT&T cell phone network).

Unlike the Sony, you can buy from the Kindle Store with any web browser. The ebooks then get queued up to be downloaded to (say) your K3.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:58 PM   #4
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Sign in to your Amazon Account, drop down to "Digital Content" and select "Manage Your Kindle". Your new Kindle may already be registered to you there.

But anyway, you can hit the drop down lists and move your books to your Kindle as soon as it is registered.
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:33 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by flhden View Post
I read with a sony prs 300 and this week after seeing the new kindle at best buy, I had to have one. They sold out at best buy in 4 hrs so I ordered one from amazon and it is to arrive this week. I would like to pre purchase a few books but I am not sure about syncing with the kindle. I installed the kindle for mac software on my mac thinking it would be like the sony and I would have to buy through the software and wirelessly sync with the kindle. After reading I believe the kindle will access the amazon store directly. The amazon store has pre registered the kindle so when I go to buy a book it gives me the option to dl to my computer or to my kindle , which I do not have yet. Somewhat confused at this point. Any help will be greatly appreciated. What is whispersync btw?
Buy the books you want. Choosse "send to my kindle"

When you receive the Kindle and turn on the wireless.....they will be there, or download automatically shortly.

I did this.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2010, 01:44 PM   #6
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
While you're anxiously waiting for your new K3 to arrive you might want to read through the User's Guide. It will answer a lot of your questions and get your ready to use your K3 as soon as it arrives. It's available in both AZW format for K4Mac and in PDF.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
And..........here.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200503360
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:08 PM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by flhden View Post
I am a long-time Sony user and now a new Kindle user like you. I am also a Mac user! I too initially downloaded the Kindle for Mac software because I was expecting it to be like the Sony software to transfer & sync books with the Kindle. It's not! Think of the Kindle for Mac as just another independent reading device like your Kindle or an iPad or a mobile phone. Each device communicates individually to the "cloud", that is to say the Amazon server. This interaction with the "cloud" is a very different way of thinking from how the Sony devices work.

There are many ways to purchase books with the Kindle.

1. You can purchase books wirelessly (through Wifi or 3G depending on your model) direct from the Amazon store on your Kindle. The ebook is then downloaded right to your device and shows up on the Home screen in fewer than 60 seconds as Amazon likes to promote.

2. You can purchase books on the Amazon website and have them delivered wirelessly to your Kindle. The "Buy Now" box has a "Deliver To" drop-down option menu which defaults to your Kindle. When you use this option, the book is delivered wirelessly to your Kindle. No need to hook up any USB cables.

3. You can purchase books on the Amazon website and transfer them via USB cable to your Kindle. For this option in the "Deliver To" box select "Transfer via computer". It will take you through a series of download steps which on the Mac will put an azw file in your Downloads folder. When you connect your Kindle via USB cable to your Mac, it shows up in your Finder window as a disk-drive/device. It has a subfolder called "documents" where ebooks are stored. Then you can transfer the azw file from your Downloads folder to the Kindle documents folder just like you would copy/move any other file around on your Mac. Don't forget to "eject" the Kindle before you disconnect the USB cable.

4. You can also get public domain books from sites like Project Gutenberg, feedbooks and manybooks just like with your Sony. You download the file from the website and then transfer via USB cable by moving the files from your Downloads folder to the Kindle documents folder as described above.

You say you want to pre-purchase books before your Kindle arrives. No problem. You can use Method # 2 described above to purchase books on the Amazon website. In the "Deliver To" box, select the option that says "Kindle for Mac" since you have already registered and installed it as a reading device. The first time you use your Kindle, assuming you have a wireless connection established, you will see a folder called "Archived Items" with a number after it. Open this folder and it shows all the books that you have purchased. They are currently residing on the Amazon server ("the cloud"). If you are connected wirelessly via Wifi or 3G, open this Archived Items folder on your Kindle and select the book you want to read with the 5-way controller (or joystick if you will). It will then download from the server to your Kindle Home screen for happy reading. Similarly once you are done reading a book, you can move it back from your device memory to the Amazon server by left-clicking on the book and selecting "Remove from Device".

If you want to see your previous Amazon purchases at anytime, then you go direct to the Amazon website rather than use software like the Sony. Login to your account and go to the "Manage Your Kindle" page. Scroll down to the bottom and you will see a section called "Your Orders". In the right hand column you sill see a "Deliver to" drop-down similar to when you purchase books. These actions would be equivalent to how you would use the Sony software to login to your Sony account page and then go to your order history if you wanted to re-download a previous purchase.

The synopsis of my lengthy post is you have to shift your thinking to that of your Kindle communicating independently with the Amazon server. No special software required for communication. Just a web-browser or wireless connection is needed (or USB cable if no wireless is available).

BTW, I haven't seen any Kindles at Best Buy yet in my area. However, I have seen them in 2 nearby Targets. Hope you enjoy your new ereader! Since you already have a Sony, then I think it will not be too difficult for you to adjust to the Kindle.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:32 PM   #9
flhden
flhden
flhden began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs300, Kindle 3 wi fi, Kindle Fire
Thank you so very much for all your very helpful replies, especially bookworm girl. Having it explained by a fellow sony and Mac user is always very helpful. I actually loved my little Sony and can't wait to try out my new Kindle. The readers have ignited a renewed interest
in books again. Loving it. Thanks again to all.
flhden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:05 PM   #10
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
One important point I'm not sure is clear is that you won't ever copy Kindle files bought from Amazon from your Kindle for PC to your Kindle device. Each book is locked to the device, so if you have a book on Kindle for PC, you need to redownload it to your Kindle. This is quite easy, though, and if your Kindle's wireless is on, the last page read will be in sync in both places.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote