Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #421
t.kruse
t.kruse began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Thanks for all replies. I will check the options for changing the cover image and the extended Kobo Calbre driver.

Regarding ghosting, I believe that a 1 Ghz processor should be able to figure out in sufficiently short time that a page has dark areas large enough to require a full page refresh. I am not sure whether any eReader or reader software can do this, but to me it just does not seem that difficult a computation. Setting refresh to every page works of course, but is annoying in its own right. (EDIT: So yeah, maybe this is more of a suggestino than a Bug)

The PDF view-area settings freeze would have to be optional, but probably it would be unnecessary if the reader had auto-cropping. The reader should always zoom into the content at scale such that white areas on the borders are not displayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Sorry but to me that is entirely a metadata issue. The author name/author sort/book title are set in the metadata. Use either Calibre or Sigil to fix.
I want a reader that is robust and can handle some non-perfect formats and non-perfect metadata in a benign way. For metadata, look at any current Smartphone Music library. You just give it a title, or even just some mp3, and it fetches all the metadata, and allows to see organized views of a collection by band, by album, by year, by genre, see the lyrics and whatnot else. I just want the same for books, no having to go and edit metadata myself. And a reader that cannot guess that "John Doe" and "Doe, John" are the same name seems a bit weak in comparison. I can also blame calibre in this case, sure.

I know I could spend hours just perfecting the metadata of my collections, but that's a pointless activity given the millions of other readers with the same problem and the resources that vendors and publishers have.

Quote:
Personally, I seldom browse through the library. Using the search feature is just a lot faster and easier.
I understand why people would not browse their library that much, because the library is so difficult to handle on the ereader. But search is different from browsing, it has a very different purpose. If it is a sunny day, I want to read a new book from my collection, then i want to browse the collection, not search in it. That's why all stores offer browsing and searching both.And why should browsing my collection on my eReader be a pain?

Quote:
You want the ereader to read your mind?
Regarding 0% read vs. unread vs. unfinished, currently the ereader tries to read mymind anyway. It reasons like: "oh this guy openened the file once, so I'll change the state from unread to 0% read so that the guy remembers". I think the default should be different, as long as a file has not been looked at for more than just the opening page, it's last status (unread / finished) should not be changed. That's no more or less mindreading than what is happening now.

Quote:
How does the ereader get informed that book A is a comic book, book B is a novel, book C is a tech reference?
Regarding sorting by type, I meant epub vs. pdf vs. cbz/cbr. Of course comic books can come as epubs then maybe filtering by file size would help. Somthing around 5 MB may serve as dividing line between mostly text and mostly images. Anything would be more useful than having no means of filtering at all, even if perfection is not possible

Quote:
See the settings menu. Under Reading settings, turn off the "Show page numbers in the margins:"
I knew that, my point was it should not be a default to start with.

Quote:
It would seem that you have not purchased many books from the Kobo store given a couple of your comments such as the statistics display.
I have had the eReader for a week, how many book purchases would be normal by now? And what does it matter anyway?

EDIT: And another Suggestion: if an epub file has an embedded image, then zooming in that image should be much more convenient such as long tapping or double tapping the image and get it in full screen mode. In my case a book had a "hand-written" note in it, and using the zoom menu to make it readable did not go well with my reading-flow.

Last edited by t.kruse; 05-30-2013 at 10:59 AM.
t.kruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #422
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Can anybody say how much energy their Aura loses overnight when powered off (or sleeping)?

It seems that my Aura loses about 5% when sitting unused (wether powered off or sleeping) overnight. At that rate, it would be empty in 20 days without being used.

I can't imagine that this is normal...
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:17 PM   #423
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Can anybody say how much energy their Aura loses overnight when powered off (or sleeping)?

It seems that my Aura loses about 5% when sitting unused (wether powered off or sleeping) overnight. At that rate, it would be empty in 20 days without being used.

Almost nothing, but the battery hasn't done its two calibration cycles yet. So it may not be that relevant
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #424
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
kobo aura hd first impression

i received my kobo aura hd a couple of days ago and here are my impressions:

1. the light is noticeably uneven at the bottom of the screen. i have it set at 50% and can see that the areas in between the 5 lights are darker. it only appears like this at the bottom, though. the rest of the screen is pretty much evenly lit.

2. very easy to add my own fonts. just created a folder named "fonts" and added whatever fonts i wanted.

3. there is a single pixel on the bottom right side of the screen that was leaking light when the light is on. not enough of a problem to return the device, however.

4. the very first night i got it, i left it charging overnight with a griffin powerblock dual universal charger. the next morning, i found that it was really warm. and it should have been at 100%, but showed only 96% charged. further more, it was unresponsive and the screen was displaying residual e-ink from a previous screen. i had to reset it by using the pin hole at the bottom of the device. after rebooting, residual e-ink was still showing. the longer i wait to change a page, the more the residual e-ink showed. only after the device has cooled down did the problem go away.

i'll continue to use it for a while longer and see what happens.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #425
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
My device never gets warm when I am charging it. Does yours get warm when you charge it using either USB or another wall charger? People have said that you can't really overcharge a device or have too much juice come through a cable, but I think I would worry abit about the charger--or at least try a different one.

Last edited by taming; 05-30-2013 at 04:03 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #426
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

hi taming,

i've used this charger for all devices that charge via usb. i've never had a problem until now. i'll see what happens the next time i need to charge it.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #427
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.kruse View Post
Thanks for all replies. I will check the options for changing the cover image and the extended Kobo Calbre driver.

I want a reader that is robust and can handle some non-perfect formats and non-perfect metadata in a benign way. For metadata, look at any current Smartphone Music library. You just give it a title, or even just some mp3, and it fetches all the metadata, and allows to see organized views of a collection by band, by album, by year, by genre, see the lyrics and whatnot else. I just want the same for books, no having to go and edit metadata myself. And a reader that cannot guess that "John Doe" and "Doe, John" are the same name seems a bit weak in comparison. I can also blame calibre in this case, sure.
I've looked at quite a few music library management programs including the ones used by Apple and Samsung. You give them garbage in and you get garbage out. Even with automated metadata, to use one group, I have albums sorted as "The Band", "Band, The" and "Band". Yes, searching for artist with "band" returns all three. You can use Calibre to fetch metadata for your ebooks and it will even correct the author, title, title sort and author sort for you. Of course, there are times when you look at those corrections and go what the expletive deleted did it do that for!

Quote:
I know I could spend hours just perfecting the metadata of my collections, but that's a pointless activity given the millions of other readers with the same problem and the resources that vendors and publishers have.
Quite a few publishers have very little idea of what looks good in an ebook and how the metadata should be organized. Oddly, quite a few don't seem to care either considering they keep making the same mistakes book after book.

Quote:
I understand why people would not browse their library that much, because the library is so difficult to handle on the ereader. But search is different from browsing, it has a very different purpose. If it is a sunny day, I want to read a new book from my collection, then i want to browse the collection, not search in it. That's why all stores offer browsing and searching both.And why should browsing my collection on my eReader be a pain?
Newly added books are near the start of the list when I view the library sorted by recent. Otherwise, I'm generally looking for a book by an author and a simple search by author returns those books. The segment of my ebook collection on my ereader is not all my ebook collection but 1700 are enough to get by for a few days. Since I got the Aura, I will also enter a random page number in the go to and see what's on that page when I'm just looking for a random book to read.

Quote:
Regarding 0% read vs. unread vs. unfinished, currently the ereader tries to read mymind anyway. It reasons like: "oh this guy openened the file once, so I'll change the state from unread to 0% read so that the guy remembers". I think the default should be different, as long as a file has not been looked at for more than just the opening page, it's last status (unread / finished) should not be changed. That's no more or less mindreading than what is happening now.
I often open all the books in a series starting with the last so 5 showed on the carousel and up to 8 on the Aura. Handier that way. As I said, you opened the ebook. While you did not read enough to qualify as 1% read, that, in my opinion, is enough to move the book back to reading in progress. You can always dismiss the tile on your home screen or open the book and mark it as finished.

Quote:
Regarding sorting by type, I meant epub vs. pdf vs. cbz/cbr. Of course comic books can come as epubs then maybe filtering by file size would help. Somthing around 5 MB may serve as dividing line between mostly text and mostly images. Anything would be more useful than having no means of filtering at all, even if perfection is not possible
I have very few CBR/CBZ files on my ereader, the pdfs are tech materials. The remainder are epubs. Some of the epubs and quite a few of the pdfs are larger than 5MB with two epubs clocking in at over 200MB. There is nothing to stop you from having an epub that contains only image files and using .kepub allows you to zoom those images. CBZ/CBR files do not have a standard for metadata though ComicRack is pushing their ComicInfo.xml metadata format so no hope of reading the metadata. What I understand from what you have written is that, 99.9% of epubs would labelled as novels, CBR/CBZ files would labelled as comics and pdf files woudl get random values.

Quote:
I knew that, my point was it should not be a default to start with.
Your original message made that clear. However, you are one person. I happen to like those page numbers. Evidently, someone at Kobo also liked them but they gave you the option to be able to turn them off.

Quote:
I have had the eReader for a week, how many book purchases would be normal by now? And what does it matter anyway?
That you did not recognize the statistics display from a .kepub.epub as supplied by Kobo suggested that you are not purchasing many books from their bookstore.

As for normal? When I got my first ereader, I already had about 150 ebooks that were either purchased or free downloads from various internet sites. By the time, I picked up my first Kobo, I was up to 1100. I've since added quite a few more. The first week I had the original Kobo, I added about 50 mostly downloaded from Baen catching up on some older titles. I average around 5 books per week.

As for what does it matter? Kobo does respond to complaints about the books they sell. You might want to complain to the suppliers of your ebooks that have lousy metadata about their quality control.

Quote:
EDIT: And another Suggestion: if an epub file has an embedded image, then zooming in that image should be much more convenient such as long tapping or double tapping the image and get it in full screen mode. In my case a book had a "hand-written" note in it, and using the zoom menu to make it readable did not go well with my reading-flow.
Are you suggesting a pinch to zoom?

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #428
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
4. the very first night i got it, i left it charging overnight with a griffin powerblock dual universal charger. the next morning, i found that it was really warm. and it should have been at 100%, but showed only 96% charged. further more, it was unresponsive and the screen was displaying residual e-ink from a previous screen. i had to reset it by using the pin hole at the bottom of the device. after rebooting, residual e-ink was still showing. the longer i wait to change a page, the more the residual e-ink showed. only after the device has cooled down did the problem go away.

i'll continue to use it for a while longer and see what happens.
You might want to double check the output voltage from the charger when it is in use. Quite a few units do not respond well when being asked to supply more than 500mA.

Regards,
David
Old 05-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #429
t.kruse
t.kruse began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Are you suggesting a pinch to zoom?
Not necessarily, eInk is not great for that. Any zoom would do.

Currently, in the book this happens to me, ig goes something like this:

"And then I read her note in handwriting:

<picture of note>"

If I long tap the note image, kobo opens the highlighting bar at bottom and shows a dialogue "No dictionary item found for ": ". Further allowing to look for translations of ": " and annotate this bit.

Does anyone think this is more useful than a zoom as a reaction to long tapping an image?

Oh, actually I see that there is no way to zoom within an epub at all, so that makes it even worse. I understand that in a text-only epub zooming has no point, but since epub allows embedding images, an ereader should support zooming in embedded images, regardless of via pinch, slider, or whatever else. I want to see those pictures in full, it is an expensive device, it can zoom in pictures, so why not let me do that in epubs?
t.kruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:41 AM   #430
rem736
purpose priority passion

Quote:
You might want to double check the output voltage from the charger when it is in use. Quite a few units do not respond well when being asked to supply more than 500mA.

Regards,
David
but since it doesn't come with a charger and only came with a cable meant for charging with a computer (which only supplies 500mA), the charger i'm using should be fine (output 5.2V 500mA). i don't think the extra 0.2 V matters. most electronic devices are made to be tolerant of minor variations (+/- 0.2V).

the one strange thing that happened was that when connected to the charger, the aura popped up a message thinking it's connected to a computer ("Computer detected" with the cancel/connect option buttons). i simply hit cancel and put it to sleep.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:59 AM   #431
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
but since it doesn't come with a charger and only came with a cable meant for charging with a computer (which only supplies 500mA), the charger i'm using should be fine (output 5.2V 500mA). i don't think the extra 0.2 V matters. most electronic devices are made to be tolerant of minor variations (+/- 0.2V).

the one strange thing that happened was that when connected to the charger, the aura popped up a message thinking it's connected to a computer ("Computer detected" with the cancel/connect option buttons). i simply hit cancel and put it to sleep.
The charger may say 5.2V but what does a digital multimeter say it is outputting? I've seen a lot of chargers that do not even come close to their rated output voltages and currents.

The connected to computer popup is normal behaviour for a Kobo ereader, the software does not seem to do any checking when you plug in a USB cable as to whether a computer or a charger is at the far end. One cable I use which has only the V+ and V- lines connected triggers the connect to computer message.

Regards,
David
Old 05-31-2013, 09:22 AM   #432
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:

My chsrgers (Sony and HP) that I use with ereaders are 5V 1500 ma. I would try a different charger. I think the Kobo one is two amps but 1500 ma is fairly standard for other readers and seems to work fine with my Kobo readers

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:59 AM   #433
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Lithium-ion batteries are 3.7v, a value fixed by the basic chemistry of the cell, so any voltage exceeding that will do for charging. USB is defined to provide 5.0 volts (+/- a few %), more than enough. The more important question is how much charging current it can supply, which will govern how long the battery takes to recharge: current x time = total amount of charge delivered. A standard USB port is defined to supply up to 500ma, and USB devices are not supposed to draw more than that. USB chargers often supply more, up to 2 amps, and devices designed to use those chargers have various means of detecting when they are attached to their high-power charger instead of a computer USB port so they know they can draw more than 500ma.

However I believe that all the Kobo devices, including the Aura, are limited to 500ma max charging current. Since they do not come with their own USB charger, they are not designed to use a higher capacity, and they do not make any attempt to determine if the USB power source has a higher capacity. My Aura takes twice as long to charge as my Touch (2x bigger battery), and each takes the same amount of time to recharge from a computer USB port, or a 1 amp charger, or a 2 amp charger.

I guess Kobo figures that it's not worth the trouble to do a fast charge since the devices need charging so seldom, although the nearly 4 hours required by the Aura with its larger battery is getting up there.

Last edited by FJames; 05-31-2013 at 11:03 AM.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #434
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
Lithium-ion batteries are 3.7v, a value fixed by the basic chemistry of the cell, so any voltage exceeding that will do for charging. USB is defined to provide 5.0 volts (+/- a few %), more than enough. The more important question is how much charging current it can supply, which will govern how long the battery takes to recharge: current x time = total amount of charge delivered. A standard USB port is defined to supply up to 500ma, and USB devices are not supposed to draw more than that. USB chargers often supply more, up to 2 amps, and devices designed to use those chargers have various means of detecting when they are attached to their high-power charger instead of a computer USB port so they know they can draw more than 500ma.

However I believe that all the Kobo devices, including the Aura, are limited to 500ma max charging current. Since they do not come with their own USB charger, they are not designed to use a higher capacity, and they do not make any attempt to determine if the USB power source has a higher capacity. My Aura takes twice as long to charge as my Touch (2x bigger battery), and each takes the same amount of time to recharge from a computer USB port, or a 1 amp charger, or a 2 amp charger.

I guess Kobo figures that it's not worth the trouble to do a fast charge since the devices need charging so seldom, although the nearly 4 hours required by the Aura with its larger battery is getting up there.
Obviously you are a patient person if you have actually timed the charging for both devices from both sources. I may try and run my Aura down and time it from the wall charger, but I am not sure my attention span is up to it.

The Kobo chargers supply 1 Amp or 2 Amp
http://www.kobo.com/accessories/kobo-charging-kit.html
http://www.kobo.com/accessories/charger.html

But neither of them say that they will work with the Aura although I think that they would.

I prefer the wall chargers and they seem to work well with my mini and Aura, so hopefully they are not doing any harm. My understanding is that the device draws only the current it needs, please let me know if I am in error.

Thanks
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:30 AM   #435
Hartsock
Enthusiast
Hartsock began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post

A self-discharge rate of about 5% a MONTH is most often quoted for lithium-ion batteries.
Hartsock is offline   Reply With Quote