Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #616
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Question, has anyone tried to use 64GB microSDXC cards on the Aura HD? I know official specs only state up to 32GB supported but I'm curious whether higher capacity cards will work. I've got Android devices that are only advertised for 32GB but majority have handled 64GB just fine. Thanks!
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #617
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I'm curious where you'd find that many books personally!
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #618
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simond View Post
I'm curious where you'd find that many books personally!
Manga volumes I have range from 20-150MB in size and each of those are usually only good for a 15 minute read or so.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #619
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Manga volumes I have range from 20-150MB in size and each of those are usually only good for a 15 minute read or so.
Ah, that makes sense completely then, I use my iPad Mini for comics, etc, I don't read any manga to try on my Aura.
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #620
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have a 32 Gig Sd in my Aura.

It seems to me as if there must be mapping for 64 Gig if the firmware is on an internal SD card as in the mini.

But I am wondering if a 64 gig card might not conflict with the internal card.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #621
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I thought someone in one of these threads mentioned using a 64GB card, but there are so many Aura threads now I can't find the post.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #622
Nil Einne
Connoisseur
Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Most devices which state up to 32GB have no problem with 64GB or higher cards. Technically a 64GB card must be SDXC but the actual difference is minimal, just reporting a large size then is technically allowed by the SDHC standard. (But there is no change in the size of the field involved, it's just that previously the field was supposed to be lower than a certain value.) This is unlike the SDSC to SDHC change where the changes were more significant so it wasn't surprising many devices wouldn't work with one.

Of course since such a card is not allowed in the spec, a device could for some reason fail to work with such a card.

A bigger issue is that any card SDXC card should by default be formatted with ExFAT. I'm not sure whether the Kobo is able to format cards, is they are not, you'd need to format it yourself to whatever the Kobo wants. (Even if they are, there is a possibly it will refuse to format if it encounters and unknown format.)

There are the additional speeds but I believe those technically shouldn't affect matters, the device just doesn't know of them. But ultimately know one can say if it works unless it's tested. I read of the Kobo Touch having problems with 16GB and 32GB cards for some reason.
Nil Einne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #623
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is the post I was thinking of...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=62

Quote:
I used the desktop to set it up. Since it's not working with Calibre yet, I had a teeny 64mb SD card that I loaded a few books on. The reader found them very quickly.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:13 PM   #624
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
LOL.. 64MB not 64 GB!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #625
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
LOL.. 64MB not 64 GB!
Totally missread that. Sorry
Old 05-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #626
chrisparker
Connoisseur
chrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: iPad Air 4, iPad mini 5, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Nook ST Glowlight
The answer is no, the Kobo Aura HD doesn't recognise a 64GB micro-SD card.

When inserted, the Aura reports "card not recognized - reformat in FAT32 format and try again", or words to that effect.

With the Aura connected to a computer, Calibre sees the card and copies files onto it, but again, the Aura doesn't see the files.
chrisparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #627
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
The answer is no, the Kobo Aura HD doesn't recognise a 64GB micro-SD card.

When inserted, the Aura reports "card not recognized - reformat in FAT32 format and try again", or words to that effect.
Hmm, is that with exFAT or have you tried it with FAT32 also? I think HP has a formatting tool that will allow you to force format the 64GB to FAT32. I have a couple of Android tablets that throw errors with 64GB exFAT but work with 64GB FAT32 and vice versa.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #628
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I know I had some issues formatting a large hard drive with FAT32 (I wanted it for storing videos on a Raspbery Pi based XBMC device) but I came across this utility fat32format or the GUI version which worked like a charm for me.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #629
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Question, has anyone tried to use 64GB microSDXC cards on the Aura HD? I know official specs only state up to 32GB supported but I'm curious whether higher capacity cards will work. I've got Android devices that are only advertised for 32GB but majority have handled 64GB just fine. Thanks!
The 64GB microSDXC card should be able to be read, but it may not be able to be written to. It was originally designed for devices like a PMP (personal media player) where you don't need to write to it. do you really need more then 32GB?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #630
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The 64GB microSDXC card should be able to be read, but it may not be able to be written to. It was originally designed for devices like a PMP (personal media player) where you don't need to write to it. do you really need more then 32GB?
I've found that usually, the problem is with the file system format rather than the extra capacity. I've got a tablet that throws a "corrupted SD card" error with 64GB exFAT and several that throw the same error with 64GB FAT32. Since I'm guessing the microSD card slot on the Aura is easily accessible, no, 64GB support isn't absolutely necessary. It would have just been more convenient (less swapping required). I carry a credit card sized case which holds up to 8 cards in my wallet. It's currently populated with 4*64GB and 4*32GB cards (~360GiB) which stores a mix of manga, music and videos (mostly manga) and that's only a subset of my collection (have a 12TB file server at home). Yeah, I won't be able to read/listen/watch through 360GiB of content in 1 month but I like having a large selection on hand.