Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-22-2012, 12:52 PM   #22636
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
We don't 'do' Christmas presents in our family, as we have Sinterklaas.
But this afternoon I held an iPad-mini in my hand. Very nice gadget.
I wish I could ask someone (Santa or other) to give me one (yes, I do have two K3, a KDX, iPad1 and iPod, and a dead iLiad Irex). Well.......

in my cup: hot arabica coffee
in my hand: Christmas chocolates
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:27 PM   #22637
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Hi desertblues.

ProfCrash, when my son (3 months) was little we didn't want to stand in line either, so we had the "Santa" at a tree lot hold him while we took his first Santa picture. As my son got older, we all had kids around the same age and had Christmas parties with a Santa that came in and passed out gifts as the kids sat in his lap and we took pics.

Chocolate macadamia coffee in my, as I make my errand list for today.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #22638
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I have not. I amtoying with the idea but not thrilled with standing in line.
Well, he is so young, the "experience" would be completely and totally for you. So if you do not want to stand in line for it... do not feel guilty about skipping it this year. Next year he will understand a bit, but the following year he will likely be all over it.

They grow up so fast!
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #22639
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
That is my attitude. He is sleeping on my shoulder right now.

Pu erh in my cup.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:42 PM   #22640
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
What do you put in your chorizo? My ex never knew what was in chorizo until a friend read the package he found in my refrigerator. That was the end of chorizo in the house. They threw it out and wanted to see the ingredients of anything I cooked from then on.
Chorizo from Mexico is very different from Basque chorizo. (And there is no ONE way to do either -- keep in mind that chorizo is simply Spanish for "sausage".

My Mexican style chorizo is based on a recipe from Diana Kennedy. It includes 4 different chiles, some Mexican oregano, clove, and a bit of cumin. The net effect is a complex chili flavour with only a little heat. (I deliberately choose chilis that don't have much heat -- I'd rather add heat for recipes that need it. )

The Basque relies on smoked Spanish paprika for its primary flavour component. I've done it both as a fresh and a smoked sausage, and generally prefer the smoked for just "eating", but the fresh for using in recipes. The original of that recipe came for "Chorizos in an Iron Skillet", a great book that is more memoir than cookbook.

Quote:
Tamales yum. We haven't made them for years. We just do enchiladas for Christmas Eve now. How do you make your Tamales?

*decaf sumatra in my cup*
This year we're doing two version -- a vegetarian tamale with roasted Poblano and Anaheim chillies plus corn and cheese (using Feta because it's the closest substitute for the Mexican cheese that should go in them.) And a basic pork tamale, using pork shoulder slow cooked in salsa verde.

In my cup: Fresh squeezed OJ, and Peet's Holiday Blend coffee.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:01 PM   #22641
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Yes .... I was weak .... I did it ... after reading earlier entries here [the guilty party shall remain unnamed] ... I went out ... and purchased a bottle of 16 year old Lagavulin .... my credit card screamed in pain ... it was worth it ....
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #22642
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Good morning, all! We're up and out early today to try and beat the shopping crowds. I'm chugging down Amad's "English Breakfast" tea , and a slice of toast as I type. I'm pressing the keys really hard and fast as my morning exercise... 82.2kg this morning, but with only 7 days to go, I'm really going to have to spend all day every day exercising to reach my goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
This is not a correct assumption. The most up to date number I could find on it is about 1% of Japan is Christian....that was as of 2010.
We need to keep in mind one very important factor in the way the Japanese view religion. Most all of them 'use' several different religions depending upon age and need. The common saying is ' Japanese are born Shinto, get married Christian, and buried Buddhist.' The Christian Japanese will all be at Shinto shrines on New Years Day, making offerings and prayers for the New Year. But that won't stop them from going to Church on Sunday for worship services there. Christian marriage 'ceremonies' and traditions are much more festive than Buddhist, especially since there is no honeymoon with a Buddhist wedding, so all the young people opt for that. But always it's a Buddhist funeral...

And yes, most all of S.E. Asia celebrates the seasonal secular holiday of Christmas, with no religious overtones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Yes .... I was weak .... I did it ... after reading earlier entries here [the guilty party shall remain unnamed] ... I went out ... and purchased a bottle of 16 year old Lagavulin .... my credit card screamed in pain ... it was worth it ....
Boy... I'm sorry to hear your having such difficult times. 16 years old? You couldn't afford a new one?

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:44 PM   #22643
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Thanks for explaining Charlie. One of these days we may do a family tamale day or two. It takes so long to make them and everyone is too busy with other obligations to take a whole day to make them. Enchiladas are quick and easy so we have taken the easy way out and use the extra time to go sit with all the family and visit.

!*?!!@# and that expresses my experience and enjoyment of today and trying to get the last of the shopping and preparations done at my place and at my parents. The public and drivers can be so very rude.

Chicken noodle soup in my cup.

Last edited by dreams; 12-22-2012 at 11:46 PM.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:49 PM   #22644
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Ah, no self control at all. Me, using all the will power of a flat wallet, resisted the urge to splurge and came away with McClelland's Islay Single Malt. Can't say it has the same great taste as Lagavulin, though....darn. But it's nicer than Johnny Walker Red (or Black).
OTOH, if anybody has a spare bottle of Lagavulin or Laphrohaig (Spelling? been a looong time since I had a bottle in hand) they (plural!) could PM me and I'll send them my shipping address
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:55 AM   #22645
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Lemon & Ginger Caffeine Free tea in my cup. Home alone with the kids and a list of chores up to my eyeballs, preparing for the in-law invasion. Thank goodness I've got something stronger in the cupboard for when they actually arrive...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:45 AM   #22646
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Hot water. I'm finding I'm drinking this more and more lately. It has such a clean taste! I really do need to apologize to the woman who introduced me to it. She was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Home alone with the kids and a list of chores up to my eyeballs, preparing for the in-law invasion. Thank goodness I've got something stronger in the cupboard for when they actually arrive...
I read that the UK was weighing options on the Apache Attack helicopter gun ship upgrade. I wasn't aware they were in general use yet.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:34 AM   #22647
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Orangeade with zero added sugar.

PS I know a secret! A MobileRead Secret! Keep your eyes open over the next few days!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:36 AM   #22648
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

PS I know a secret! A MobileRead Secret! Keep your eyes open over the next few days!
I know LOTS of secrets - well at least I have been told many. People tell me secrets all the time because they know with at least 90% level of confidence I will forget it by the time they are out of eye site! LOL
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #22649
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
@ Prof Crash;
Enjoy your baby as much as you both can.
I know I had Sinterklaas (a kind of Dutch Santa but earlier in december) in person over as soon as my little girl could understand what was happening and the experience was great for me, as a parent.
Also I went all the way with her clothes; sometimes she looked like a little doll. Nice, nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
This year we're doing two version -- a vegetarian tamale with roasted Poblano and Anaheim chillies plus corn and cheese (using Feta because it's the closest substitute for the Mexican cheese that should go in them.)
I'll try to make the vegetarian. I welcome some new things to my non-meat/fish menu.

Quote:
(thinking, thinking...)
What, what.......a mystery story?

in my cup: cold coffee
in my hand: Christmas chocolate
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #22650
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:

A new competition?

Black coffee as I move on to the Hoovering (or Hovering, not sure about the handwriting on my chores list).
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?