Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-13-2011, 11:52 AM   #16
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
One of the best books I read last year was In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick. Truly engaging story and I learned quite a bit.

Last edited by edbro; 03-13-2011 at 02:42 PM.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #17
LeoMartin
LeoMartin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'd recommend Outliers by Malcom Gladwell. It's a fascinating take on why some people succeed and others don't, the main idea being that it isn't a matter of raw talent.

The Art of the Deal by Donald Trump is also fascinating. If you can get past his bravado and cockyness, you can learn a lot of very interesting things from it.
LeoMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:27 PM   #18
bookfiend
Enthusiast
bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegematic View Post
I just finished "Packing for Mars" by Mary Roach. It's a well researched and very down to earth (irony not intended) look into how to get humans into space and keep them healthy there. There is a fair bit of potty humor so if that sort of thing puts you off you may not enjoy it as much.
-vegematic
She has a few great books. I really enjoyed Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers. In spite of the topic, it's very entertaining and even funny at times.
bookfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:52 PM   #19
Mitch G
Connoisseur
Mitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle
Some suggestions below. Although you might think some of these books sound boring, they really are great books that introduce you all sorts of things beyond just the main topic.

Stiff by Mary Roach: You'll learn all about cadavers.

Disappearing Spoon: You'll learn about the periodic table (much more interesting than it sounds).

Tulipomania by Mike Dash: You'll realize you should have been able to have foreseen the tech and housing bubbles and ensuing crashes (although it's too late).

Batavia's Graveyard by Mike Dash: Although it's about a shipwreck (the Essex recommendation above is excellent, btw), you'll learn quite a bit about culture and economics in the time of the East Indian Trading Company.

Salt by Mark Kurlansky: You'll learn all about salt.

Mitch
Mitch G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:31 PM   #20
DannyT
DannyT began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I would recommend:

Both collections of essays by David Foster Wallace, Consider the Lobster and A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again. His writing is challenging but funny, entertaining and touches on some fundamental truths.

The Medium is the Massage by Marshall McLuhan. This stretches the limits of the book form, both visually and intellectually.

I also liked Nothing to Envy and another Granta book, How to Talk About Book's You Haven't Read by Pierre Bayard.

All pretty full on reads, but well worth the mental effort.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:13 PM   #21
amybobamy
Befuddled Neophyte
amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
To intellectuals I always recommend "Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid" by Douglas Hofstadter. Not an easy read, probably took me months to finish back when, but very satisfying to me.
I think I purchased two separate copies (one for each apartment I had at the time) and began reading it about eight different times, to no avail.
amybobamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:55 PM   #22
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
medical mysteries

Three interesting (non-fiction) medical mysteries:

The Monster Under the Microscope, about the discovery of antibiotics.

The Hot Zone, about microbe hunters and the Ebola outbreak in Reston Virginia

The Great Influenza, about the Spanish Flu epidemic of 1918-1919
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:08 PM   #23
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
Three interesting (non-fiction) medical mysteries:
Another one, I highly recommend:

Anthrax: The Investigation of a Deadly Outbreak by Jeanne Guillemin

I have not read Biohazard by Ken Alibek, which some Amazon reviewers suggest as an alternative. It isn't exactly a medical mystery, but I probably would buy it as an ebook if one was available.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:39 AM   #24
Illinifan
Connoisseur
Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4, iPhone 4, iPod touch, Sony PRS 300
Another of Taleb's books that is very eye opening is Fooled by Randomness.

A interesting and fun book that I learned more about astronomy while reading is How I Killed Pluto and Why it Had it Coming by Mike Brown.

I am currently reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks and it is a fascinating history of the woman and her cells that have been used in labs across the world for medical research.
Illinifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:13 AM   #25
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

When I want non-fiction I tend to gravitate toward biographical book as especially those related to science, sports or the discovery/invention/exploration.

I highly recommend Into Africa about the whole Stanly & Livingston relationship and adventure. Of course the other two titles which I recommended in this month's Book Club vote. One about Einstein and the other about Oppenheimer. Also there were a BUNCH of really interesting titles nominated this month all of them were non-fiction which works nicely for ya.

I am really motivated to read the book about Cleopatra as well.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=123871

Last edited by snipenekkid; 03-16-2011 at 07:16 AM.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:20 AM   #26
bookfiend
Enthusiast
bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinifan View Post
I am currently reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks and it is a fascinating history of the woman and her cells that have been used in labs across the world for medical research.
I second the recommendation for this one. It's an eye-opening account, not only of scientific progress and how it often clashes with ethics, but also of the racial barriers Lacks and her family faced within the medical community, both during her treatment and afterwards.
bookfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:15 AM   #27
Michael McLovin
Enthusiast
Michael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with othersMichael McLovin plays well with others

Device: Desktop PC when i'm in the office pretending to work, kindle3
Try any Malcolm Gladwell book.
My personal favorite from him is Blink.
Michael McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:59 PM   #28
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Okay, I'll suggest something more accessible than my last, Jared Diamond's "Guns, Germs, and Steel." It was a fascinating attempt to explain a very broad sweep of history, why some populations thrived more than others. Some of his theories are hotly debated but it was well researched and presented.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:54 PM   #29
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
One of the best books I read last year was In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick. Truly engaging story and I learned quite a bit.
I listened to that on on audio from the library. It was excellent.

I reccomend Before the Dawn by Nicholas Wade, Collapse by Jared Diamond, The World Without Us by Alan Weisman, and 1491 by Charles C. Mann. I found all to be engrossing and educational.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:17 PM   #30
barb2cats
Connoisseur
barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle 2, iPhone, VIZIO
I recently read The Book on the Bookshelf by Henry Petroski, on the evolution of bookshelves and other book storage strategies. He starts with scrolls, and ends just before ebooks. I was fascinated.
barb2cats is offline   Reply With Quote