Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-10-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
kucera
kucera began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook One, Kobo, Nextbook(7"color)
Desktop application grinds the floppy drive

Hello all - does anyone have any idea why the desktop application keeps looking at my (empty) floppy drive?!? And yes, I still do have one. It is very annoying to hear the drive searching for a diskette, and keep doing it, more is the pity. Can't be good for the drive.
Anyone from Kobo - do you know the answer, and, more to the point, how to prevent this?
Regards Emil

Edit a few minutes later: After downloading the updated application, the problem went away, so the thread can be closed, I suppose. Sorry to clutter the bandwidth...

Last edited by kucera; 09-10-2010 at 06:39 PM.
kucera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
trogdor
trogdor began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
This happens when I use it too. Every second or two I hear the drive seeking to see if a floppy is inserted.
trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Mine too and I'm pretty sure I have the updated desktop app.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:25 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I know I used to get the grinding but not now. I think one way of telling the version is to look for an i button in the bottom left; next to the two choice for View. This can be clicked to see what version of Kobo Desktop is installed; mine shows v1.6 (Aug 25, 2010).

Peter
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:51 PM   #5
shall1028
Nameless Being

I would venture that the desktop app is not puroposefully trying to grind the floppy drive. It is probably polling the OS for removable media (i.e. a Kobo) and a side effect is that the OS attempts to read the floppy drive and, presumably, since there is a no disk in the drive it waits until the drive times out with an error.

If the grinding puts you off just throw a floppy disk in the drive so that the OS will find something.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:47 PM   #6
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by shall1028 View Post
I would venture that the desktop app is not puroposefully trying to grind the floppy drive. It is probably polling the OS for removable media (i.e. a Kobo) and a side effect is that the OS attempts to read the floppy drive and, presumably, since there is a no disk in the drive it waits until the drive times out with an error.

If the grinding puts you off just throw a floppy disk in the drive so that the OS will find something.
ding ding ding ding.

Fixed in 1.6 available here for Kobo customers:
http://www.kobobooks.com/desktop

For Borders US / AU / A&R / Whitcoulls customers, the upgrade is going through some approval by the retailers before it will be available to you.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote