Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-25-2009, 03:44 AM   #1
mezme
Connoisseur
mezme began at the beginning.

Device: PRS700
Comments - batch add?

I'm new to Calibre and have been browsing thru the program and so far... I love it. I did have a question... is there a way to add information to the comments field using the command line and does anyone have a good method for doing so? I'm very sure I can, over time, figure it out if so... but *grins* it's christmas! and I dont' want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to!
mezme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use

calibredb show_metadata

and

calibredb set_metadata
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
mezme
Connoisseur
mezme began at the beginning.

Device: PRS700
Comments - Batch Add?

Okay... this is going to sound idiotic but... the CL for setting the metadata is:
calibredb set_metadata [options] id /path/to/metadata.opf

Would you mind giving me a practical example?
and yes... I'm having a slow redheaded blond moment here!

I figured out how to retrieve the list (love it!) with the calibre ID #s for the batch file, however, the user manual and the help features, left me a bit lost on exactly how to use the set_metadata function. What are the options they are talking about?

For instance... if I had this book:
Calibre ID: 4 (Author Name - Title - Series)
and I wanted to use the set_metadata option what would the command line look like to for the book with ID#4?

Second question... using the show_metadata function I noticed it lists the title and the author... is there a command line function that allows you to enter data such as the tags, comments or location of cover image?

Last edited by mezme; 12-25-2009 at 01:49 PM.
mezme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You use the show_metadata to create the opf file. Then you use some utility to edit it (on unix it would be sed, not sure on windows) and then use set_metadata to sync the edited opf file back to the database.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 11:48 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Then you use some utility to edit it (on unix it would be sed, not sure on windows)
SED is available for Windows and IMHO it's the best tool there, too.

Merry Christmas!
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2015, 05:00 PM   #6
wallyboyes
wallyboyes
wallyboyes began at the beginning.

Device: kindle for PC
Smile wallyboyes

My PC just crashed so new PC new Calibre. Problem old Calibre Library on external HDD large amount of MOBI ebooks, tried to add from 3rd line of add books comes up searching books and metadata adds a few books then disappears is there a better way if so what?

One point I am a 78 year old pensioner so no techno babble just plain UK English no disrespect to Americans.

I would be most grateful.

regards

Wally Boyes

wallyboyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:32 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Just copy the library folder from one computer to the other: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....ter-to-another

Aside -- I wasn't aware that UK English had less technobabble than 'Murican English.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote