Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-07-2010, 01:34 PM   #16
Monique
Monique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the roughMonique is a jewel in the rough

Device: none
Thanks for this thread. I'm making my way through the last of my Eddings books (audio) and will need a new series soon.
Monique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:21 PM   #17
some call me tim
Connoisseur
some call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
I just started reading that series and really enjoyed the first book. However, after looking into it, it seems like the author is in no hurry to finish that series. I think the last book in the series was published in 2005 and there are still 3 more books planned in the series. Just a bit of warning.
Ooof. I knew he was dragging his feet on getting the next book out but I didn't realize there were 2 more planned after that. It's annoying because book #4 was actually going go include what's now #5, but it got too big and he had to split it up. I really don't know what's taking him so long to get the next one out, but I wish he'd hurry up already. I was really taken with the first few books, they gave me hope in epic fantasy series again.

A word of warning though, they are pretty graphic with violence and sexuality--definitely more adult than previous series I'd read.
some call me tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2010, 04:03 PM   #18
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
You might want to try out the Kinshield Legacy I found it a very good read:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...nshield+legacy

Another good one if you like Dragon fiction is:
His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik

Last edited by thinkpad; 09-07-2010 at 04:31 PM.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:08 PM   #19
abeaty
Enthusiast
abeaty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperweight
Hopefully this thread continues to deliver great ideas.

I have already read the Paksennarion series and the George RR Martin series too.

I decided to go for the James Galloway/Firestaff series as well RA Salvatore first 3 books for the dark elf series. If the first three books are as good as everyone says, then I will buy the rest of the books too.

Thanks for the ideas and keep them coming....
abeaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:13 PM   #20
abeaty
Enthusiast
abeaty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperweight
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
I was just going to say this. They say this is the next big thing

Check this too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braided_Path The books were released as ePubs just two weeks ago. Only available from WHSmith and Waterstones as of now.

And read Moorcock. I can't say this enough. Read Moorcock. Start from Dancers at the End of Time or Elric. I recommend Dancers.
I have read a couple of books by Moorcock and really liked him. Everytime I went to the store I kept looking for more and eventually forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me.
abeaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 05:16 AM   #21
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Wrong forum for this, but I'll forgive you

Check out The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. It was just released about a week ago. And it's epic in every sense of the word. My iPad copy is 1038 vertical "pages" long, so it'll keep you busy for a while with the HC being 1008 =)
I just looked it up. Sounds good, it's on my TBR list, only Dune and The Name of the Rose are in its way.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:04 AM   #22
Zyzomys
Hooked on Phonics
Zyzomys began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I just finished Crown Conspiracy by Michael Sullivan. It is book one in The Riyria Revelations series, of which I think three are available now (and I think one is forthcoming).
Zyzomys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:10 AM   #23
Zyzomys
Hooked on Phonics
Zyzomys began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Check out The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. It was just released about a week ago. And it's epic in every sense of the word.
I enjoyed The Gathering which Brandon Sanderson wrote (or is it co-wrote) with Robert Jordan's notes (Wheel of Time). I was not sure where Sanderson started and Jordan stopped - but it sounds like Sanderson is talented on his own. I will have to check this book out. Thanks.
Zyzomys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #24
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me tim View Post
Ooof. I knew he was dragging his feet on getting the next book out but I didn't realize there were 2 more planned after that. It's annoying because book #4 was actually going go include what's now #5, but it got too big and he had to split it up. I really don't know what's taking him so long to get the next one out, but I wish he'd hurry up already. I was really taken with the first few books, they gave me hope in epic fantasy series again.

A word of warning though, they are pretty graphic with violence and sexuality--definitely more adult than previous series I'd read.
After finishing the first book I was going to start the second one and heard it was also very well written. But after learning about how long this series is taken, I decided to stop before I become too emotionally attached.

Seems like the author has been doing a lot of traveling and that finishing this series isn't on his priority list. I've read that he predicted book 5 to be out in 2006 than 2008. Well it's now 2010..... Perhaps he got irked that the publishers forced him to split up the 4th and 5th books.

Now I've decided to start the Mistborn trilogy written by Brandon Sanderson. Interesting read so far!

For Wheel of Time. I believe Robert Jordan wrote most of the novels and unfortunately passed away before completing the last book to the novel. The last book in the series was picked up by Sanderson and I think the last novel will now be broken into three parts. Sanderson has completed the first one and there are two more to come. I think the second one from Sanderson should be out very soon.

Last edited by MerLock; 09-08-2010 at 03:17 PM.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:57 PM   #25
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Jack Vance, esp. his Lyonesse Trilogy.

Roger Zelazny, esp. his Chronicles of Amber

Steven Brust, esp. his Dragaera (Vladimir Taltos) novels

Susan Cooper, esp. her _Dark is Rising_ pentalogy

If you haven't read Edgar Rice Burroughs you should read his novels which are available here.

You may enjoy William Morris, A. E. Merritt and David Lindsay, all of whom are available here.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:24 PM   #26
some call me tim
Connoisseur
some call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
After finishing the first book I was going to start the second one and heard it was also very well written. But after learning about how long this series is taken, I decided to stop before I become too emotionally attached.

Seems like the author has been doing a lot of traveling and that finishing this series isn't on his priority list. I've read that he predicted book 5 to be out in 2006 than 2008. Well it's now 2010..... Perhaps he got irked that the publishers forced him to split up the 4th and 5th books.
Haha, I kind of wish I'd heeded such advice before I started them. Typically, in huge epic fantasy series, I find myself tuning out at parts and pushing myself through until something interesting happens. With the Song of Ice and Fire series, I didn't get that at all, I was intrigued through the whole of the series (well, admittedly, the last one dragged a bit for me in places).

I seem to recall GRRM having a note at the end of #4 that he split it up into two books so that his fans would at least have something. That may have been a little white lie on his part and it could have been his publisher laying the law down. In any case, he is LONG overdue, which stinks.

I'm certainly interested in reading a new series too, can anyone tell me if the series here can be compared to GRRM at all? A gripe that I've had with a lot of fantasy, is that it seems to be aimed at a younger audience, or at least a "family friendly" one. I liked that GRRM regards his readers as adults (fitting that he's being adapted for HBO of all channels). Do any of the series here follow that same kind style?

One book I read that I think falls into that category is The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. It's a standalone novel, so doesn't technically qualify for this thread, but it's a very good read regardless.
some call me tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:25 PM   #27
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by abeaty View Post
Hopefully this thread continues to deliver great ideas.

I have already read the Paksennarion series and the George RR Martin series too.

I decided to go for the James Galloway/Firestaff series as well RA Salvatore first 3 books for the dark elf series. If the first three books are as good as everyone says, then I will buy the rest of the books too.

Thanks for the ideas and keep them coming....
The Firestaff is great for a free series. The editing got better as the series continued. It is finished at 5 books and was enjoyable throughout especially for an author who wrote it for no monetary gain, just his pleasure of writing.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:45 PM   #28
Dwayne_Matheson
Connoisseur
Dwayne_Matheson is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
I would recommend, in no particular order:

Dennis McKiernan's Mithgard books - I really liked the Iron Tower Trilogy, but then hunted down a whole lot more.

Stephen R Donaldson's The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever series and even the second Chronicles series.

Raymond Fiest The Riftwar Saga and then a whole bunch more. But start with Magician: Apprentice

Patricia A. McKillip - Riddlemaster of Hed series

Guy Gavriel Kay - Fionavar Tapestry Series

Jack L. Chalker - The Dancing Gods Series

Joel Rosenberg - Guardians of the Flame Series
Dwayne_Matheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:30 PM   #29
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
I've recently started reading L.E. Modesitt's works. I found "Imager" free on Kobo at one point and liked it so much that I started at the beginning of his works with "The Timegod". I'm now working through the Forever Hero series. Good stuff, and a very prolific author!

From a genre standpoint he varies between Sci-Fi and Fantasy, but is always epic.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:41 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
You might want to try out the Kinshield Legacy I found it a very good read:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...nshield+legacy
I tried to read the first book in the series and I found it horrible. It was such a rough go, I was happy to stop and go onto something else. Boring and nothing really happened. The characters were not interesting and the story moved very very slow. I gave up at chapter 15.

Quote:
Another good one if you like Dragon fiction is:
His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik
Now this series is very good. I've only read the first two books so far.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote