Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 02-25-2014, 12:26 PM   #1
timtam
timtam began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Tracking books read

What are the good apps/web apps for tracking your reading?

For the past few weeks, I've been using iReadItNow which has a really nice timeline of books I've read or been reading and good statistics/visualization. Too bad it doesn't have a web app version and I still couldn't find a way to export the data.

Is there anything else you would recommend?
I already use Calibre but only for cataloging.
In other words, I already have Calibre as "asset tracking" and would like to know of a good "reading behavior tracking" app apart from iReadItNow.
timtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:58 PM   #2
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I would just use Google Spreadsheet and keep a copy on your computer. No matter what apps are available, eventually support stops and you are left with exporting your list (if still available) into a spreadsheet. Might as well start with one. I use Google spreadsheets since they are free (web based) and I can keep a copy on my computer. Consider creating a 'personally read' library with Calibre. It doesn't take up all that much space to have a duplicate on your harddrive and you can add notes into it as well. You can add 'empty books' to account for your p-books as well.

While many of us use Goodreads, eventually, that will also die and your lists will be lost. You can use spreadsheets to track your behavior as well by creating a tags column. You can make pie charts then!
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2014, 06:05 AM   #3
ynsymnr
ynsymnr can eat soup with a fork.ynsymnr can eat soup with a fork.ynsymnr can eat soup with a fork.ynsymnr can eat soup with a fork.ynsymnr can eat soup with a fork.ynsymnr can eat soup with a fork.ynsymnr can eat soup with a fork.ynsymnr can eat soup with a fork.ynsymnr can eat soup with a fork.ynsymnr can eat soup with a fork.ynsymnr can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Have a look on goodreads.com.
I guess it will be a solution for you to track your books. Besides, it would be good to follow your friends that what they're reading and what they have already.
ynsymnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:33 PM   #4
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I use an Excel spreadsheet and create a different tab for each year. I also use good reads and for tracking my series books: fictfact.com. The reason I use an Excel spreadsheet is exactly the same as Tarana points out--I want to be able to access my booklists even if one of the sites I use stops working.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:06 PM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I use goodreads, and I regularly do an export so that my data can't be lost.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2014, 08:24 PM   #6
theinfamousj
Groupie
theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (pink back)
I use Goodreads and have it autopost to my blog as a backup.
theinfamousj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:46 PM   #7
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
I use Goodreads and once every month or so, I have it sync back to calibre to include read status, ratings, and my review. There is a calibre plugin to do this. I also enjoy Goodreads for seeing what friends are reading and I get pretty good recommendations based on other books I've liked.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:52 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I use an Excel spreadsheet and create a different tab for each year.
Same, except mine is a Google docs spreadsheet that I started in 2005.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:22 AM   #9
Hidohebhi
calibre addict
Hidohebhi began at the beginning.

Device: any
I added a custom column to Calibre for 'Read, Unread, and Want to read' and sync it to my goodreads shelves.
Hidohebhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:05 PM   #10
timtam
timtam began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thank you all for your responses.
Looks like I still need to hold on to the old reliable spreadsheet for a while.
timtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 05:56 AM   #11
shevirsy
Banned
shevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kindle 3
Why not use Calibre for that?

Create a new database/library. Add a new record. Put isbn:978xxxxxxxxxx and download the data. You can customize your metadata source. You can customize what gets downloaded. You can than rate the book. You can tag it. You can write your own private review.

Given there are no books, only metadata, the folder is going to be quite easy to back up and very small. And because it is a separate library, it won't mess with other things you already have.
shevirsy is offline   Reply With Quote