Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-05-2023, 07:08 AM   #1
jbaumann
Zealot
jbaumann began at the beginning.

Device: Multiple Kobos, multiple Kindles
Best FW for Kindle Paperwhite

Hi,

I currently have three Paperwhites (6‘‘ and 6.8‘‘) with FW versions 5.13.6 and and 5.14.2, all of them rooted (I use KOReader for PDF reading).

I like the GUI of 5.14.2. better, but the Calibre support for collections/series is broken.

Since now there is a method for rooting newer firmware versions, would there be a newer one suited to my needs (i.e., new interface, working collections), or should I simply stay with the current versions of the firmware?

Cheers, Joachim
jbaumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 11:28 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Series on Kindle only ever "worked" from Amazon.
Collections disabled by Amazon years ago to be only local GUI, Amazon Account (both need registered Kindle) or jailbroken.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2023, 11:49 AM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaumann View Post
I like the GUI of 5.14.2. better, but the Calibre support for collections/series is broken.
There are some KUAL extensions for collection management. I haven't used any of them myself.

LibrarianSync
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=245691

ccsync
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=356053
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 01:57 AM   #4
jbaumann
Zealot
jbaumann began at the beginning.

Device: Multiple Kobos, multiple Kindles
Sorry, I was a bit unclear describing my scenario…

I‘m using Calibre together with the KUAL extension for Librariansync. Works like a charm on the older firmware, but even this basic support for collections is broken with 5.14.2.

My hope is that maybe the collection support got fixed so that it again works with the LibrarianSync extension as it does with 5.13.6.

Does anybody have experience with it?
jbaumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 06:00 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Hi,

I currently have three Paperwhites (6‘‘ and 6.8‘‘) with FW versions 5.13.6 and and 5.14.2, all of them rooted (I use KOReader for PDF reading).

Since now there is a method for rooting newer firmware versions, would there be a newer one suited to my needs (i.e., new interface, working collections), or should I simply stay with the current versions of the firmware?

Cheers, Joachim
If you want calibre support for collections/series, you'd be best to buy a Kobo Libra 2.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2023, 05:03 PM   #6
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Sorry, I was a bit unclear describing my scenario…

I‘m using Calibre together with the KUAL extension for Librariansync. Works like a charm on the older firmware, but even this basic support for collections is broken with 5.14.2.

My hope is that maybe the collection support got fixed so that it again works with the LibrarianSync extension as it does with 5.13.6.

Does anybody have experience with it?
I have PW5 with fw 5.16.2.1, and LibrarianSync does work on it.
True, when I select "Update collections from calibre" the script starts and seems to never finish its job, because you no longer get the message "x books sorted in y collections in zz seconds" (can't remember the exact wording but... you know what I mean).
So, it seems to hang there, but if you try to push KUAL buttons you'll see that they do work, and when you exit to Kindle main menu you will see that the collections exists and are populated.

The only annoying thing is that when they are created they are also marked as favourites, and therefore they get forcefully displayed unless you choose to never show collections in books folder, but other than that, it just works
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 08:39 PM   #7
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
This is simply because Python (which is prerequisite for LS) hasn’t been updated for 5.16.x …
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 12:03 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yeah, the code *probably* works, but you won't get visual feedback in KUAL, and on calibre's side, it won't detect a PW5 either.

Someone posted another implementation a while back, FWIW: https://github.com/sandman7920/ccsync (there's also a matching thread on MR).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 12:15 PM   #9
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Yeah, the code *probably* works, but you won't get visual feedback in KUAL, and on calibre's side, it won't detect a PW5 either.

Someone posted another implementation a while back, FWIW: https://github.com/sandman7920/ccsync (there's also a matching thread on MR).
Version 0.8, latest I found on github, *probably* works (just as yours) but does the same.

Seems to hang, but actually creates the collections, also marking all of them as favorites.
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote