Notices

Old 07-08-2011, 07:26 PM   #76
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiKuiD View Post
Also, for reference...changing the Davlik VM heap size definetely increased the responsiveness of the device...i'm not sure why it was set to 128MB for stock, seems rather large.

New settings:

dalvik.vm.heapsize=32m (definte performance gain)
I'm not going to argue with practice: it always has precedence.
But it’s counterintuitive – usually decreasing the size of the heap causes VM to go into gc more often, which, for end user, looks like a computer got frozen for a while at random moments. And this is completely unproductive time for everybody and everything involved. And different users might need different settings depending on what apps they run more often and entire mixture of apps.
Nevertheless, it’s an interesting parameter to play and try to find optimal value.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #77
Billbofet
Billbofet began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Dumb question but for the "wifi supplicant" and "lcd density" edits on the build.prop, where are those?

I can't find them in the build.prop file, so I'm not sure if I am missing something, or if these need to be added.

Thanks,
Bill
Billbofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #78
ptsenter
Addict

setCPU

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
Thanks to ptsenter insistence and generosity of Gunnerp245 we are having the dingo source codes here or here (mirror). Hope they are not useless and they will help the rom chefs.

Also PXA168 source code is here.
Now if somebody can pass a word to setCPU's developer I'm sure he can adjust this app to work for eDGe.
Since I don't play games I'd actually want to underclock mine to prolong battery use per charge.

Last edited by ptsenter; 07-08-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:25 PM   #79
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
I may be tick.
I copied the binaries to sdcard. also disk image.
when trying to run from busybox is telling that flash_erase does not exist.
anybody here to help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronarq View Post
You can try flashing the maintenance (recovery) ram disk. I have been all through the update script and the file is never truncated. The commands used to flash to recovery are:

WARNING BE CAREFUL! These offsets and sizes are from the update script but run at your own risk.
Code:
flash_erase /dev/mtd5 0x00100000 48
nandwrite -s 0x00100000 -p /dev/mtd5 ramdisk.maint.gz.crc

ramdisk.maint.gz.crc can be pulled from your update. You will need to get flash_erase and nandwrite on your device as they are only in the recovery. If you can't pull the binaries out of the new ramdisk let me know and I will pull them for you.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #80
kronarq
kronarq began at the beginning.

Copy the binaries to like /system/bin or wherever you want just not on a fat fs.
chmod 755 nandwrite
chmod 755 flash_erase

I pulled those binaries from the recovery ramdisk.

Those offsets should just affect the maintenance ramdisk but as always tread with caution as I haven't tested this.

I would also remove them once you are done for security sake.
kronarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #81
muranternet
Connoisseur
muranternet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3/Sony PRS-300/Nook Color running CM7/P eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbofet View Post
Dumb question but for the "wifi supplicant" and "lcd density" edits on the build.prop, where are those?

I can't find them in the build.prop file, so I'm not sure if I am missing something, or if these need to be added.

Thanks,
Bill
You have to add them.
muranternet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:58 PM   #82
ptsenter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiKuiD View Post

windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=150 (should help with GUI navigation/redraw)
wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=160 (to help battery life)
Quote:
Originally Posted by muranternet View Post
You have to add them.
Who knows what the default values?
Old 07-08-2011, 11:46 PM   #83
n6pfk
n6pfk began at the beginning.

Device: none
Booting from the SD card or the USB stick?

So what do we have to modify so that uboot, the kernel and the root file system can be booted and run directly from a storage device to avoid changing the nand? I have a beagleboard that can do this. It makes testing mods so much faster. Anyone have any ideas? Are there any magic button press/holds that enable this already?
n6pfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:15 AM   #84
tigerszheng
Enthusiast
tigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheese

Device: 800sg
download the zip file from http://www.4shared.com/file/dwnR3GOd...ermine-09.html, rename it to update.zip and put it in usb flash driver.

Can't start to upgrade if I use the same method upgrade to Ermine(https://www.entourageedge.com/suppor...barticleid=265

Any suggestion?
tigerszheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:57 AM   #85
kronarq
kronarq began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n6pfk View Post
So what do we have to modify so that uboot, the kernel and the root file system can be booted and run directly from a storage device to avoid changing the nand? I have a beagleboard that can do this. It makes testing mods so much faster. Anyone have any ideas? Are there any magic button press/holds that enable this already?
If you look through the update script the locations for the bootloader are in it. I have no desire to go monkeying around with it until I get my jtag programmer and figure out how to connect it. Has anyone had any luck with that?
kronarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:02 AM   #86
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

kronarq> thanks, I will test this. seems you are decided here to progress a rom. this is good new. any chance to get together with ptsenter and emusan to see where they are in terms of development?
Old 07-09-2011, 11:47 AM   #87
vicinc
Guru

New version added with minor speed tweaks
Old 07-09-2011, 12:11 PM   #88
vicinc
Guru

done all this including the copying into system/bin and chmod
all I am getting now is permission denied when trying flash_erase /dev/mtd5 0x00100000 48 from adb shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronarq View Post
You can try flashing the maintenance (recovery) ram disk. I have been all through the update script and the file is never truncated. The commands used to flash to recovery are:

WARNING BE CAREFUL! These offsets and sizes are from the update script but run at your own risk.
Code:
flash_erase /dev/mtd5 0x00100000 48
nandwrite -s 0x00100000 -p /dev/mtd5 ramdisk.maint.gz.crc

ramdisk.maint.gz.crc can be pulled from your update. You will need to get flash_erase and nandwrite on your device as they are only in the recovery. If you can't pull the binaries out of the new ramdisk let me know and I will pull them for you.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:16 PM   #89
ptsenter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
done all this including the copying into system/bin and chmod
all I am getting now is permission denied when trying flash_erase /dev/mtd5 0x00100000 48 from adb shell
Did you issue

su

prior to flash_erase?
Old 07-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #90
vicinc
Guru

of course. I read on a another forum that I may need to do flash_unlock on that partition but can not find the tool