Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Cybook VS Hanlin ebook V8

Hi,

I've seen a few photos of the Hanlin ebook V8 and the screen
looked a bit too grey to me. Do you know if the Cybook is gonna
be brighter/whiter ?

And if not, what is the brighter ebook currently available?

Thx!
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:31 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
They are all about the same at the moment until something with the new Vizplex screen comes out.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2007, 01:03 AM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'm pretty sure the new Cybook is supposed to have the Vizplex display, so it should be brighter.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 03:38 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
But the screen reflectivity is only increasing from 35% to 40% - it's not going to be radically brighter. I certainly wouldn't buy a Reader based on whether it has the "new" or "old" screens - I doubt very much it's going to make any practical difference to the "reading experience".

eInk screens are very difficult to photograph. You need to see one "for real" to appreciate just how good they really are.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 05:37 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The problem with photographing the screens is you need a lot of light to do it without the flash because if you need the flash, then it just reflects off of the screen and if you have too much light, it will look good in the photo no matter.

So yes, as Harry said, you'll need to compare for yourself. But supposedly the Vizplex will be slightly faster. But the real issue is that there are no vozplex screens available yet and we have no date as to when that is to happen. So do you wait an unknown time period for a vizplex screen or go with something that already is out and works well?
Advert
Old 07-14-2007, 09:56 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But the screen reflectivity is only increasing from 35% to 40% - it's not going to be radically brighter.
Thanks, HarryT -- I couldn't remember the numbers on it off-hand, and wasn't in a position to look it up just then.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 12:11 PM   #7
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
One of the things we will be doing as soon as we get our evaluation units - and we should seriously have them by the end of this month - is to take pictures of the readers in different lighting. I've gone to the effort of buying a small light-tent and daylight-balanced, full-spectrum lamps just to take these images, but I've also purchased a two-lamp LED light and I'm looking at purchasing one of the single-arm LED lamps to give a range of lighting conditions to demonstrate.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 04:33 PM   #8
guguy
Groupie

I'll try to call them next week, when delphidb96 receives
his Cybook they may let me come to their paris office and
take a look at it
Old 07-17-2007, 09:08 PM   #9
guguy
Groupie

I asked them by email when the cybook is planed to be released and they
answered that we will be able to buy it from their website by the end
of the semester (so I guess that means late august-september ?).
Old 08-01-2007, 09:46 AM   #10
digicatz
digicatz began at the beginning.

Device: considering the Sony model for the $299, with $150 worth of ebooks +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But the screen reflectivity is only increasing from 35% to 40% - it's not going to be radically brighter. I certainly wouldn't buy a Reader based on whether it has the "new" or "old" screens - I doubt very much it's going to make any practical difference to the "reading experience".

eInk screens are very difficult to photograph. You need to see one "for real" to appreciate just how good they really are.
I don't know about the screen quality of those 2 but I just played with the Sony
e book last night at Bestbuy, and it was incredible!!! If the Iliad or the other are anything like that.... If I had the $300 on me I would have bought one. So if you can verify that either of these is faster or better than the Sony, check out the Sony, if you like/can read it..... E ink screen redraws are reminiscent of etchascketch , the way it clears, but once redrawn it is clearer
than paper. First sight it looks like there is a sticker on the screen, like a demo, but then you pick it up and hit next page..... then you pick up your jaw from the floor, because it was on and it turned the page. E ink is the future, and seeing the sony reader in its dock reminded me of something out of Star Treck TNG.
digicatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:24 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Speaking of Star Trek, I have a bunch of Star Trek books on my read right now. And Vanguard actually comes bundled on the Reader in full. Not just an excerpt.