Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-09-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
thafrogggg
Rabid Book Weasel
thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Acer Iconia A500 Tablet (lovin' it!!)
Converting all my .lits to a PRS-505 format

I have calibre 6.11 and I have not tried to convert any of my .lits yet.

I would like to know which format is the most stable and fastest for my PRS-505.

I have read that "tweaking" the page settings or format will also speed up things, but again I am a complete noob and am clueless about this.

If anyone can help me out with the best format selection and what settings I should change in calibre (if any) I would greatly appreciate it.
thafrogggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
Landrovan
Enthusiast
Landrovan began at the beginning.

Device: dr800sg
I found that lrf is habitually the fastest format (this device was made for this format), with epub in second place. But, lrf will die soon. So converting to epub, your file will also be usable on other devices. The rest is your choice.
Landrovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:27 PM   #3
thafrogggg
Rabid Book Weasel
thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Thanks for the reply.

So, I take it that ther are no "optimum" page formatting settings to make the pages more easily readable and to keep the page turning times down?
Old 09-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Well, LRF's not going to "die soon" on your 505, at least, so don't rule it out for that. One 'con' for LRF is that unless you use the Sony eBook Library s/w to copy it to the Reader, the 1st time it's read will trigger a 'formatting' delay of a minute or so, while the 'con' for ePub is that the text displays as left-justified rather than justified on both sides (i.e. with a ragged right edge) and with small page numbers on the right.

Your choice - the default settings in Calibre should give decent results as a starting point for either/both, after which you can try & tweak things if you want.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:38 AM   #5
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
I mass converted about 100 books from .LIT to .LRF. They look good on my PRS300.
If you ever need f.i. epub, you can always reconvert, either from the orginal .LITs or from the .LRF.
Anyway, always a good idea to keep your original source files, compared to todays HDD-capacities they are tiny.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:25 AM   #6
nemo81
nemo81 began at the beginning.

Device: Prs-505
I have prs-505 and confirm that lrf is the best for this device. In my opinion I found that before converting (and from lit to lrf works really great) is better to set the font size to 9,5. Infact, in this way, I had more or less the same ammount of pages (in s size) compared with the paper version of the book.
For the moment I use the sony software to upload the lrf into the device because (and i don't know why) if I use calibre for the upload, I have a delay before open the book and a reformatting delay when zooming, with sony software no delay at all.
nemo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:50 AM   #7
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
I don't really care for epub, so I was thinking of buying some books from whsmith in lit format. Will calibre reformat them to lrf without having to do any extra steps (i.e. removing the DRM)?
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:35 AM   #8
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
I actually like epub. What devices use the .lit?
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:58 AM   #9
nemo81
nemo81 began at the beginning.

Device: Prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaAnn View Post
I don't really care for epub, so I was thinking of buying some books from whsmith in lit format. Will calibre reformat them to lrf without having to do any extra steps (i.e. removing the DRM)?
Yes it does. For a better job (in my opinion), select font size 9,5 and, is the source file (.lit), has not the cover, you can ad the cover before converting.
Les then 30sec and the job is done.
nemo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:52 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Unless you can find specific information to the contrary assume that the books will have DRM that needs to be removed (using ConvertLit). WH Smith's store is through Overdrive and most, if not all, titles distributed through them have DRM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:53 PM   #11
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
No, you'll need to remove the DRM first (google "convertlit gui") then calibre will be able to convert the downconverted files to other formats.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:45 AM   #12
thafrogggg
Rabid Book Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by benham View Post
I actually like epub. What devices use the .lit?
.lit is a format that is used by Microsoft reader. A software based Ebook reader. I Have a Dell Axim X51V and have been using it to read Ebooks until I Sep 12 this year when I bought my Sony 505.