Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Offline > ePub Books (offline)

Notices

Old 02-07-2009, 06:46 AM   #1
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Post Churchill, Edward: 42 Keys to Murder v1 7 feb 2009

Straight from the pages of Popular Detective (March 1948) comes this pulpy mystery novelette!

Quote:
Newspaper correspondent Nick Burney and his wife Sue become a pair of high-powered sleuths when they take the trail after the killing of Homer Hansel, the snooping society editor.
With a nice illustration
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:10 AM   #2
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Georges:

Within the last few .epubs posted (see Reid, Mayne: The Plant Hunters v1 6 feb 2009 as well), any .html contains an odd line ending html tag for a carriage return/line feed, namely, &# 13; (ignore my space between the &# and 13, or else you'll see hard line breaks like the end of the below paragraph and no html code):
Code:
<!--mozToc h2 1--><h2 id="calibre_chapter_1">CHAPTER&# 13;
I</h2>&# 13;
&# 13;
<h3>One Column Less</h3>&# 13;
&# 13;
<p>NICK BURNEY, Rock City correspondent for the Las Verdes&# 13;
Sentinel, sat nervously in the battered *Ford&# 13;
*pick-up *while *his *wife, Sue,&# 13;
stopped and started as the lights along Tremont Street turned red and

green and red again. Although midnight had long since passed, Las

Verdes, the gambling metropolis situated in a shallow desert bowl so

big that the mountains seemed small in the distance, was still going

strong.</p>
While it appears that an html browser ignores them, they do cause issues when trying to convert directly to .imp from .epub, as they are treated as "hard" line breaks. A soft line breaks like the "\n" line ending is normal, but a "&# 13;" appears non-standard. BTW, Charlie's .epubs created by Calibre do not exhibit the same line-endings or issues.

Did you recently change settings on your text/html editor? Know what's causing them to be output this way?

Regards,
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:53 PM   #3
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Georges:

Within the last few .epubs posted (see Reid, Mayne: The Plant Hunters v1 6 feb 2009 as well), any .html contains an odd line ending html tag for a carriage return/line feed, namely, &# 13; (ignore my space between the &# and 13, or else you'll see hard line breaks like the end of the below paragraph and no html code):
Code:
<!--mozToc h2 1--><h2 id="calibre_chapter_1">CHAPTER&# 13;
I</h2>&# 13;
&# 13;
<h3>One Column Less</h3>&# 13;
&# 13;
<p>NICK BURNEY, Rock City correspondent for the Las Verdes&# 13;
Sentinel, sat nervously in the battered *Ford&# 13;
*pick-up *while *his *wife, Sue,&# 13;
stopped and started as the lights along Tremont Street turned red and

green and red again. Although midnight had long since passed, Las

Verdes, the gambling metropolis situated in a shallow desert bowl so

big that the mountains seemed small in the distance, was still going

strong.</p>
While it appears that an html browser ignores them, they do cause issues when trying to convert directly to .imp from .epub, as they are treated as "hard" line breaks. A soft line breaks like the "\n" line ending is normal, but a "&# 13;" appears non-standard. BTW, Charlie's .epubs created by Calibre do not exhibit the same line-endings or issues.

Did you recently change settings on your text/html editor? Know what's causing them to be output this way?

Regards,
Oh yes, this is an autogenerated Calibre code. I have seen that when I edited epubs directly. I have changed my way of working lately, creating epubs and lrfs from html/zip directly and using another slightly changed html source for mobi-> imp. So the coding of the epubs does not interfere on imps.

So better ask Kovid about those. It's definitely not my code. Maybe he knows a workaround for your epub2imp engine.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Oh yes, this is an autogenerated Calibre code. I have seen that when I edited epubs directly. I have changed my way of working lately, creating epubs and lrfs from html/zip directly and using another slightly changed html source for mobi-> imp. So the coding of the epubs does not interfere on imps.

So better ask Kovid about those. It's definitely not my code. Maybe he knows a workaround for your epub2imp engine.
Thanks for the info.

Now, I also see this line-ending behaviour in .epubs other than yours, so it MUST be a recent (post late Jan. 2009) Calibre change. I guess the version Charlie's using to create .epubs must be an older Calibre version.

I AM trying to get this epub2imp written, but there are a lot of variables to deal with, and then you get issues like this one, which almost convince me to "throw in the towel"... Oh well , off to bother Kovid...
Old 02-07-2009, 04:05 PM   #5
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

Now, I also see this line-ending behaviour in .epubs other than yours, so it MUST be a recent (post late Jan. 2009) Calibre change. I guess the version Charlie's using to create .epubs must be an older Calibre version.

I AM trying to get this epub2imp written, but there are a lot of variables to deal with, and then you get issues like this one, which almost convince me to "throw in the towel"... Oh well , off to bother Kovid...
I think Charlie may use some BD-generated format and import that into Calibre to generate the other formats (epub and lrf). I know for sure that he uses BD to create his books. Maybe this hard linebreak occurs only in html-generated epubs.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:15 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
is simply the entity representation of the \r (carriage return) character. You can just run a global replace to replace with a space character and you should be fine.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:31 PM   #7
mtravellerh
book creator

Of course Thanks, Kovid

Last edited by mtravellerh; 02-07-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:33 PM   #8
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
is simply the entity representation of the \r (carriage return) character. You can just run a global replace to replace with a space character and you should be fine.
Oh, another feature... I'll use text substitution to get rid of it altogether.

Thanks for the advice and you can now close http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/ticket/1792.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #9
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
I think Charlie may use some BD-generated format and import that into Calibre to generate the other formats (epub and lrf). I know for sure that he uses BD to create his books. Maybe this hard linebreak occurs only in html-generated epubs.
An issue I'm having with Charlie's BD html is that only <div>'s are used and the CSS formatting works better when surround by <p>'s for .imp ebooks.

My original solution was to replace all div's with p's, but I may retain the div's and wrap them around p's with the same inline style, if any, like:
Code:
<p class="calibre_class_5"><span class="bold"><span class="calibre_class_2">Chapter I</span></span></p>
</a>
</span>
<p class="calibre_class_7">****George Colfax was in an outraged frame of mind, and properly so.</p>
or instead:
Code:
<p class="calibre_class_5"><div class="calibre_class_5"><span class="bold"><span class="calibre_class_2">Chapter I</span></span></div></p>
</a>
</span>
<p class="calibre_class_7"><div class="calibre_class_7">****George Colfax was in an outraged frame of mind, and properly so.</div></p>

Last edited by nrapallo; 02-07-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:09 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh, another feature... I'll use text substitution to get rid of it altogether.

Thanks for the advice and you can now close http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/ticket/1792.
I've already fixed this in calibre, it now runs the global replace on the input HTML
Old 02-07-2009, 05:14 PM   #11
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I've already fixed this in calibre, it now runs the global replace on the input HTML
Thanks Kovid!

Any idea what started it appearing? A library you started using recently or an updated version of same?

Just curious, no need to investigate if you don't know, off hand.

Thanks again!
Old 02-07-2009, 05:19 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Thanks Kovid!

Any idea what started it appearing? A library you started using recently or an updated version of same?

Just curious, no need to investigate if you don't know, off hand.

Thanks again!
Not off hand