Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
Illyrie
Illyrie began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Question Help with splitting tags

Quite a few times, when I download the metadata from a book, the tags are imported as a single tag. For example, a single tag: "historical; mystery; fantasy" instead of three tags: "historical," "mystery," and "fantasy."

Is there any way to split these tags? On another note, is there any way to merge tags without retyping the name as a new name?
Illyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Use search and replace in the bulk edit metadata window
Choose tags as search field
choose ; in search for field
choose , in replace with field
choose tags as destination field

Best to backup before

Will also replace ; in things like fictitious character etc. so be aware.

helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
Illyrie
Illyrie began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Thank you so much! I knew that there had to be something simple that I was missing.
Illyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illyrie View Post
Quite a few times, when I download the metadata from a book, the tags are imported as a single tag. For example, a single tag: "historical; mystery; fantasy" instead of three tags: "historical," "mystery," and "fantasy."

Is there any way to split these tags? On another note, is there any way to merge tags without retyping the name as a new name?
Easier way (sorry helen) to do Tags

in the Tag browser: find that tag (look in the H group). Select it (green +)
Now in the book list: Ctrl-A (Select All): Tap 'E' for the Bulk edit

In the Remove Tag box: Start typing the bad tag name, the help list should narrow it down so you can choose).

In the Tags to ADD box, type (and pick) the replacements separated by commas.
Click OK
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote