Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 06-24-2012, 10:18 AM   #31
HeXenEoN
HeXenEoN began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3 Keyboard, Sony PRS T1
Lightbulb someone help me in understanding SD recovery image

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookp View Post
What may be the technical cause for SD rescue to take more than 24 hours?
thats the thing I really don't know.. did the recovery is success for you? u mentioned more than 24 hours!! did the battery last that long? mine went out within 9 hours!! :-D

after my previous post I started the SD recovery.. the procedure didn't stopped till the device went out of battery after 9 hours.. the procedure was not completed..

I think the operation is stuck in some kind of endless loop, might be permission error .. but I really don't know in depth about the code inside the SD linux recovery boot image..

could someone help me in decompressing the SD recovery image so that I can look into the operation and find if there is any bugs?

Last edited by HeXenEoN; 06-24-2012 at 10:21 AM.
HeXenEoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:22 AM   #32
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
shouldn't take more than an hour to finish!

loop-mount the update.img and you will find the update rc script in /etc/rc.d (don't know the exact name by the time of writing - either rc.s or rc.local)

in /home/user you'll find the partition images that will be flashed
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:33 AM   #33
HeXenEoN

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by uboot View Post

loop-mount the update.img and you will find the update rc script in /etc/rc.d (don't know the exact name by the time of writing - either rc.s or rc.local)

Thank you uboot.. I will look into it...
Old 06-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #34
xuyn2003
Connoisseur
xuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: PRS-T1&KOBOTOUCH
Hi uboot, thank you for the work.
I have resized my data partiton, then should I restore it to the original size before use your restore package?

Last edited by xuyn2003; 06-25-2012 at 10:22 PM.
xuyn2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:18 AM   #35
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

you don't have to. if you choose option 1, the file system of your data partition will be 50MB afterwards, but it can be resized with resize2fs or partition manager to partition border again. option 2 should work without this extra step.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #36
xuyn2003
Connoisseur
xuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: PRS-T1&KOBOTOUCH
Thanks for your reply! I'll choose option2
xuyn2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #37
Zeno_
Zeno_ began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
If I am not mistaking, with this you can reset your rooted PRS-T1 back to like it was when you first got it, so you can turn it in for warranty?

I might be terribly mistaking.
But if that is the case why does rooting 'will void warranty'? How can they know you messed with it using this?

I'm considering rooting my device, but if it inevitably voids warranty then I don't even have to think about it...
Zeno_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:01 PM   #38
HeXenEoN

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno_ View Post
If I am not mistaking, with this you can reset your rooted PRS-T1 back to like it was when you first got it, so you can turn it in for warranty?

I might be terribly mistaking.
But if that is the case why does rooting 'will void warranty'? How can they know you messed with it using this?

I'm considering rooting my device, but if it inevitably voids warranty then I don't even have to think about it...
nothing will go wrong unless you know what you are doing...

rooting will not void warranty as you can restore to the factory firmware at anytime...but it will if you end up with a bricked device (dead device unable to start) which is probably due to not paying enough attention on instructions..

Rooting is safe but be cautious when you manually alter the partitions and boot files which is not required in most cases unless you really want to play with it..

use the packages provided in wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST1_Rooting_and_Tweaks , rooting is safer if you pay attention to instructions...
Old 06-29-2012, 11:07 PM   #39
HeXenEoN

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by uboot View Post

applied 'disable adb' but again root failed...
forgot to remove 'APP2SD package' so applied disable package, restored the device to factory firmware. now rooting working as like before..

Thanks..

so it is 'enable ADB' and 'Enable APP2SD' which caused the reroot problem...
Old 07-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #40
kwantum
kwantum began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-T1
Hi uboot, hi everyone else!

I am playing around with rooting/updating my PRS-T1 a bit and encountered some problems.

After rooting with rupors AMR somehow the home-button broke, after I installed some apps, so I used your rescue-package, uboot, to restore an un-rooted device.

First I tried your second package and I ran into the "my-device-forgets-everything-on-a-reboot"-bug. The first package worked fine.

Then I performed the rooting process again and re-installed the stock kernel. My device is now rooted, I can use it and I am able to install apps.

But there are still problems:

1. In settings > applications > manage applications, the size of the packages cannot be calculated. Some are trapped saying "calculating..", some " the size of the packages cannot be calculated" and some say "0.00KB"

2. That way, I cannot erase application cache and data, which is especially annoying for the market.

Has anyone an idea what I can do to fix this? Or point me at the proper place to ask that question again?

Thanks a lot and bye, Chris

EDIT:

A yes, some more questions/problems:

3. Can problem 1. and 2. stem from formatting the system partition for having more inodes?

4. For some reasons, in the AMR, there are Contacts and Calender applications installed. The always crash.

Last edited by kwantum; 07-08-2012 at 11:32 AM.
kwantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:46 AM   #41
mathematicap
mathematicap began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-t1
hi
i extract it but in zip file there is update.img .
am i extract image file, if yes how because i use winimage ,isobuster,poweriso but they can not extract it.

Last edited by mathematicap; 08-07-2012 at 03:44 AM.
mathematicap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:13 AM   #42
uboot
Evangelist

it seems you haven't read the instructions in the first post...

Quote:
To apply any of the rescue packages you need to unzip the file to the root of a micro sd card and follow the steps in the wiki.

1.) Charge battery to 100% or you may brick your reader on power failure!!!
2.) Power off the reader (keep power pressed until it asks to shutdown and press yes) if reader is frozen, press RESET button to power it off.
3.) Press HOME and MENU simultaneously, keep it pressed while powering on the reader and wait until the progress bar has reached 100%
4.) Now you can release HOME and MENU (this is crucial, don't release earlier!)
5.) Now it will take up to 20min for the rescue process to finish
6.) Reader should reboot automatically, if not - assure that the LED for the micro sd slot does not blink anymore and press RESET. Release and power on the reader.
7.) Reader should now ask for initial settings. Also there should be a file on the internal sd named diag.log, that tells if rescue did complete.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:27 AM   #43
mathematicap

Ok thanks uboot because of you fast answer
I change some of my sony prs-t1 system file and when I try to restart it ,it never turn on hang on opening book.so I decide to use your best file.
but I do not underestant just this line:
To apply any of the rescue packages you need to unzip the file to the root of a micro sd card

Ok .I download it . after Unzip it ,There is Update.img file in it that it size is 300 mg ,Ok.
should I transfer update.im to my ram or I had to extract Image file.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:51 AM   #44
uboot
Evangelist

no need to extract anything from update.img.

unzip everything to sd card, be sure to keep directory structure (update.img must be in OS Firmware folder!!)

then: insert sd card into reader

finally: follow steps 1.)-7.)

step 3.) will make the reader boot from sd card and run the recovery procedure.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:58 AM   #45
mathematicap

thanks .I do it but after load of opening book completed .I release both of them(home and menu) but after 20 min nothing happened .also after restarting.
for root i use this kind of root(Expand System Set)Link

Last edited by mathematicap; 08-07-2012 at 07:01 AM.