Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-13-2011, 03:31 AM   #1
nonentity
nonentity began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4
My kindle 4 nontouch special offer $79 wastes batteries if online.

I don't have wifi at home and loaded 1500+ books on my kindle 4ntso. then my screensaver told me i need to connect to wifi to download the latest offers.

So i went to mcdonalds and downloaded the latest offers and my battery died because my kindle downloaded a bunch books on my pending deliveries that I already loaded using the usb cord, then it decided to index them all and the kindle ran out of battery.

I now learned to never turn on wifi ever again. and I will never have to see the stupid ads also.

Is this normal?

Last edited by nonentity; 11-13-2011 at 03:35 AM.
nonentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:25 AM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonentity View Post
I don't have wifi at home and loaded 1500+ books on my kindle 4ntso. then my screensaver told me i need to connect to wifi to download the latest offers.

So i went to mcdonalds and downloaded the latest offers and my battery died because my kindle downloaded a bunch books on my pending deliveries that I already loaded using the usb cord, then it decided to index them all and the kindle ran out of battery.

I now learned to never turn on wifi ever again. and I will never have to see the stupid ads also.

Is this normal?
What I would do is when you buy a Kindle book is have it sent to Kindle For PC instead seeing you are sideloading USB via your MYK page. That will keep you from having duplicates. I do this to keep it from putting too much books on my Kindles.

Indexing does take alot of battery so I can see why it happened.. You have to connect WiFi to receive the new special offers each 4 to 5 days. If you don't then you have the same screensaver and offers even after it expires.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2011, 04:31 AM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Part of your problem is that you have more than 1500 books on your Kindle. Inevitably, it's going to take time and battery power to keep all those indexes up to date.

Just out of curiosity, why do you feel you need to carry all those books around with you? Why not just load up books as and when you want to read them, and delete them when you have finished?

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:47 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonentity View Post

Is this normal?
It seems to me that it was more the loading of 1500 books that lead to the massive indexing load that drained your battery, rather than anything to do with the wifi being on.

If you load loads of books, leave it on and plugged in to finish indexing.

If you don't want to load books via wifi, don't send them to your kindle, download to your computer for transfer via USB instead.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:50 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, to reinforce what other people have said, it's indexing that's your issue. This eats up the battery. Load your books a few at a time, and wait for indexing to be completed before loading the next batch. Keep your Kindle connected to an external power source while it's indexing.

The other thing to note is that if you find the ads "stupid" you can pay a fee to be rid of them. It was your own choice, however, to buy a Kindle with advertising. You agreed to see the ads in exchange for getting money off the price of the device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2011, 08:51 AM   #6
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I also don't understand why the Whispernet is trying to send books that you already transferred via USB cable. When you purchase - are you selecting "Transfer via USB?" or are you buying them via Whispernet and then going to the Manage Your Kindle page and downloading again via USB.

I always carried more than 1,000 books on my K3 but after the initial index from setting it up, I only added 1 or 2 at a time. Indexing that many at once will almost certainly deplete your battery.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:04 AM   #7
tannenba
tannenba began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Another option - if indexing isn't of value to you, at least on the K3 it is pretty easy to disable it by entering a magic command in the search box. Do a search to find the thread on this site that gives the specific instructions. Once indexing is disabled, doing a kindle search only looks at titles and author names, not inside book content. With 1400 book loaded, maybe this is just what you want. What I don't know is if disabling the index can be done the same way on a K4 as on a K3. Enjoy your Kindle!

Last edited by tannenba; 11-13-2011 at 09:08 AM.
tannenba is offline   Reply With Quote