Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-17-2011, 11:53 PM   #511
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Keep checking all week they are giving away good apps for the Fire. So far this week it has been Pro version of the office app that comes on the fire, Bejewel 2 and today the email app. So I suspect no junk apps for at least a week.
I gotta try Swift Key X tomorrow on the Fire and see if it works. The split keyboard layout in landscape should make (thumb) typing much easier.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:55 PM   #512
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, one other thing I forgot to mention.... several times as I was holding it, with the bottom resting on my thumb I hit the on/off button and it went off. That button placement is a bit annoying. It should be on the top. But, I guess you can invert it so the power button is on top in that cause I guess. So probably a non-issue.

BOb
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 11:59 PM   #513
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Oh, one other thing I forgot to mention.... several times as I was holding it, with the bottom resting on my thumb I hit the on/off button and it went off. That button placement is a bit annoying. It should be on the top. But, I guess you can invert it so the power button is on top in that cause I guess. So probably a non-issue.

BOb
I don't like where it is either. The top would of made more sense.

I check the Swift Key X it's got a x by it on the app store. I think this means it not gonna work. They've remove the standard settings. I was trying to get a Svox TTS to work and it wouldn't. It went crazy so there are some things we are stuck with. It does have Pico TTS though in certain apps.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:47 PM   #514
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
That pesky button came up in some reviews, and one writer mentioned that a firmware update could fix it, somewhat. You can't change the placement, but you change how the device responds to the bump. I'll have to check out some keyboard apps. It's on my to-do list this weekend, along with making a step-by-step Overdrive to Kobo WiFi tutorial for my mother-in-law. She's flustered by Groupon, so I kind of dread going through all the steps involved in getting an ebook from the library!

As for if the Fire is a tablet ... Bezos said it's a "multimedia device", and Amazon's really toed the line in press releases. Generically, yes, it's a tablet, but it's not a full-fledged tablet. B&N and Kobo call their "tablets" color e-readers, putting e-reading at the forefront. However, Amazon has treated e-reading as an afterthought but has christened the device with the same name as its e-readers ... So, where does that leave us? I'd say officially it's a multimedia device, but I'm not going to "correct" anyone for calling it a tablet.

For the threads title and theme of conversation, I think the title is fine and pretty descriptive of the arguments. The Fire is the Fire, a device unto itself, but its market competitors are tablets or similarly cultivated devices.
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:54 PM   #515
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Fire is not a true multimedia device without a microphone. It's also not a true tablet. So what is it really?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2011, 09:17 PM   #516
akonobi
akonobi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Fire is not a true multimedia device without a microphone. It's also not a true tablet. So what is it really?
This Kindle Fire is a portable personal entertainment center, at least, according to this review.

Kindle Fire Review
akonobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:21 PM   #517
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Well, if multimedia means it supports more than one type of media.. and music, video, ebooks, magazines, web sites are all media, and the Kindle lets you consume all of those, that would be more than one, hence multiple...

So is certainly seems to be a multimedia device to me!

You know 720p is HD but 1080p is apparently "True" HD.

seems like pedantic semantics to me Jon.

BOb
Old 11-26-2011, 04:50 PM   #518
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
7" 8GB Acer Iconia A100

A few days ago, I ordered a 7" 8GB Acer Iconia A100 from Best Buy for $189.99. It was one of the items featured in their Thanksgiving ad. The suggested retail is $330; Amazon has it for $299.99 right now.

Best Buy's website is still showing the price as $189.99 and there's an "add to cart" button, although it says it's currently not being sold online. It still may be available in stores at that price right now, though.

Here are the specs:

Android 3.2 (Honeycomb) - word is that it will be upgraded to 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
7” HD Multi-Touch TFT Display: (1024 x 600) resolution, 16:10 aspect ratio
NVIDIA® Tegra™ 2 Dual Core Mobile Processor
1GB DDR2 Memory
NVIDIA® GeForce® GPU
8GB Internal Storage
MicroSD memory card slot up to 32GB
Dolby® Mobile Technology
Dual Analog Microphone
Dual Speaker
802.11b/g/n Wireless(802.11n 2.4GHz only)
Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR
1- Micro USB 2.0 Port
1- USB 2.0 Port
1- Micro HDMI™ Out (with support for 1080p & Dual Displays)
5MP Rear Facing Camera with Auto Focus and single LED flash
2MP Front Facing Camera
GPS
Ambient light sensor
Adobe Flash
Access to Android Market
Sensors:G-Sensor, E-Compass, L-Sensor, Gyro-meter
Rechargeable Lithium-ion polymer Battery
Up to 4-hours battery life for Video Playback via Wi-Fi
Up to 4.5-hours battery life for Video Playback on system
.92 lbs.

In addition to the usual Android Google apps, it comes with Clear.fi, Media Server, Acer Sync, Nemo Player, Docs to Go, Aupeo (radio), Solitaire, and Planner.

The two recurring criticisms that I've read are:
  • the battery life is too short
  • the screen viewing angles aren't great in all positions when tilted (it is a TFT display, not IPS)

I don't think the battery life is going to be a problem for me since I will use it at home most of the time, but I'm hoping that the screen looks good! If not, I can always return it to a local Best Buy.

Just thought I'd mention this as an option for anyone looking for a small tablet in the $200 price range. I don't know how long it will be at this price, but it seems like a great deal to me!
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #519
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
A few days ago, I ordered a 7" 8GB Acer Iconia A100 from Best Buy for $189.99. It was one of the items featured in their Thanksgiving ad. The suggested retail is $330; Amazon has it for $299.99 right now.

Best Buy's website is still showing the price as $189.99 and there's an "add to cart" button, although it says it's currently not being sold online. It still may be available in stores at that price right now, though.

Here are the specs:

Android 3.2 (Honeycomb) - word is that it will be upgraded to 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
7” HD Multi-Touch TFT Display: (1024 x 600) resolution, 16:10 aspect ratio
NVIDIA® Tegra™ 2 Dual Core Mobile Processor
1GB DDR2 Memory
NVIDIA® GeForce® GPU
8GB Internal Storage
MicroSD memory card slot up to 32GB
Dolby® Mobile Technology
Dual Analog Microphone
Dual Speaker
802.11b/g/n Wireless(802.11n 2.4GHz only)
Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR
1- Micro USB 2.0 Port
1- USB 2.0 Port
1- Micro HDMI™ Out (with support for 1080p & Dual Displays)
5MP Rear Facing Camera with Auto Focus and single LED flash
2MP Front Facing Camera
GPS
Ambient light sensor
Adobe Flash
Access to Android Market
Sensors:G-Sensor, E-Compass, L-Sensor, Gyro-meter
Rechargeable Lithium-ion polymer Battery
Up to 4-hours battery life for Video Playback via Wi-Fi
Up to 4.5-hours battery life for Video Playback on system
.92 lbs.

In addition to the usual Android Google apps, it comes with Clear.fi, Media Server, Acer Sync, Nemo Player, Docs to Go, Aupeo (radio), Solitaire, and Planner.

The two recurring criticisms that I've read are:
  • the battery life is too short
  • the screen viewing angles aren't great in all positions when tilted (it is a TFT display, not IPS)

I don't think the battery life is going to be a problem for me since I will use it at home most of the time, but I'm hoping that the screen looks good! If not, I can always return it to a local Best Buy.

Just thought I'd mention this as an option for anyone looking for a small tablet in the $200 price range. I don't know how long it will be at this price, but it seems like a great deal to me!
I saw that in our flyer the other night and showed it to hubby. It's defiantly worth the price and it's a Honeycomb tablet. Congrats!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:23 PM   #520
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I saw that in our flyer the other night and showed it to hubby. It's defiantly worth the price and it's a Honeycomb tablet. Congrats!
I'm pretty darn excited! I've been looking at tablets for months. Now I can put the search behind me and move on to other things. Like figuring out Android.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:29 PM   #521
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post

.... [ snipped ]

That's a Black Friday doorbuster price. There were only 10-20 units per store at that price. When they sold out the price went back up to the original price.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:49 PM   #522
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
That's a Black Friday doorbuster price. There were only 10-20 units per store at that price. When they sold out the price went back up to the original price.
Since the price is currently shown as $189.99 online, I thought that the A100 still may be available in a few stores for that price. According to the website, it does look like it's sold out in my area stores, though.

I purchased mine online from Best Buy for $189.99 on Thanksgiving Day (Thursday). They're sending it to me. They kept changing online availability on their web page throughout the day on Thursday and Friday, and I was lucky enough to catch it when it was available. A half-hour later, it was listed as unavailable again. When I checked again on Friday, it was available online.