Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-17-2010, 04:19 AM   #1
klemens
klemens began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Question calibre stucks during installation Win XP

Hi
I hope some will be able to help me because I cannot find what can cause the problem and cannot find similar problem in Internet.
I had many versions of calibre in my computer so recently I update it to 7.3.3and everything was OK until I decided to install plugin "Search the internet "1.2
Since then when I was trying to run calibre it is starting but one cannot see any screen ( any form is hidden probably). I can see in Windows Manager that the process calibre is running but I cannot use calibre because I cannot see it !
I have tried a few times to uninstall calibre, restart computer and install again.
Nothing helped. I even have made searching through registry and deleted every key coonnected with calibre and then install it again in different directory. The same problem.
I decided to go back and install calibre 7.3.1 and now I can see that during the first launch of calibre I can see the screen with some book covers on it and short message "Running calibre: Loading books" ( message is originally in Polish so I translated it) and nothing happened. Calibre stucks in that way with that screen.
Any hints ? Tips where to look ?
Any ideas ?
klemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:57 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
0.7.31 is unable to run GUI plugins, you need at least 0.7.32 for that. The behaviour you see after installing 0.7.31 is the same I saw when installing GUI plugins for it. That said, I don't understand why the plugin failed on 0.7.33 (you did install the icons, didn't you?), but if you delete the plugin file from Calibre's config directory (to be found in the application data folder inside the user profile folder on XP), Calibre should at least run normally.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
0.7.31 is unable to run GUI plugins, you need at least 0.7.32 for that. The behaviour you see after installing 0.7.31 is the same I saw when installing GUI plugins for it. That said, I don't understand why the plugin failed on 0.7.33 (you did install the icons, didn't you?), but if you delete the plugin file from Calibre's config directory (to be found in the application data folder inside the user profile folder on XP), Calibre should at least run normally.
Manichean hit it on the head. Uninstalling was never needed. You can go to calibre configuration directory - open the plugin directory and delete the offending plugin then start calibre.

I would upgrade to 0.7.34 and try the plugin again. I too use Windows XP and this plugin works great.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-17-2010 at 07:48 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:16 AM   #4
klemens
klemens began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
OK, the solution was to delete plugin from the application data folder inside the user profile folder on XP. Thanks for the tip Manichean and dwanthny.(:-) I thought that the plugins are in Program files/calibre directory and that uninstallation for the calibre would solve the problem ( what was not true).
Now eveything looks OK.
klemens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre stucks, installation problem