Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-26-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
PeterHanes
PeterHanes began at the beginning.

Device: none
Complete newbie to epub/opf question

Hello, I was hoping someone could help me out here, forgive me if these questions seem vague or obvious, I'm learning as I go and found this forum through some searching on the topic.

I work for a book publisher and we are starting to get into e-books. We recently had a title printed and in the job quote they asked if we wanted an epub version of the same title, we said "sure". We got the file back and it looks great, problem is, it has the same ISBN assigned to the metadata that the print version has, we have to assign a different ISBN to any version of a title and the epub was asked for before we knew this. I was told that you can crack open the opf file and manually change the ISBN in there, so when we send it out to retailers, it won't be confused with the print version. Problem is, I have no idea how to do that. I've gotten as far as opening the epub file with winrar, and seeing the opf file, I can open it up but I can't edit it. How can I get around this? Any help or guidance is much appreciated. Thank you.
PeterHanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:18 PM   #2
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Have you tried Sigil the free ePub Editor.
I'm using Sigil to modify various tags.

Update:
1) Start Sigil, open epub.
2) Select Extra-> Meta Editor or F8
3) Select <More>
4) If no ISBN field -> select <Add Basic>, add ISBN field
5) Modify ISBN-field
6) Save epub

Last edited by SkyDream; 11-26-2010 at 01:23 PM.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
PeterHanes
PeterHanes began at the beginning.

Device: none
I haven't tried that program yet, will try it out now, thanks very much.
PeterHanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:01 AM   #4
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
How did you get on Pete?
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote