Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-06-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
ppearce
ppearce began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Not able to GoTo chapters in some books

Some books that I've downloaded, mostly older public domainers, won't allow me to skip from chapter to chapter.
Also, I can't bookmark in those books. I have to remember the location every time I put the book down for more than a couple of minutes.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Phil
ppearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Have they been downloaded from here, Phil?

You kindle should remember at least where you left off.

Depending on how it was formatted, you might not have a clickable TOC.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Not having the special chapter marks is not unusual, but I've never heard of not being able to bookmark. Does it just not work? Which Kindle do you have? Are you bookmarking from the menu or using Alt+B?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:15 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Calibre (MOBI to MOBI conversion) will add way points for chapter skipping. The AZW/MOBI has to be DRM-free first though.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:33 PM   #5
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppearce View Post
Some books that I've downloaded, mostly older public domainers, won't allow me to skip from chapter to chapter.
Also, I can't bookmark in those books. I have to remember the location every time I put the book down for more than a couple of minutes.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Phil
Just out of curiosity... when you say you cannot bookmark, do you mean that literally, i.e. Alt + B, or selecting add a bookmark from the menu? If you simply leave the book, allowing the Kindle to go to sleep, the same page you were last reading should reappear when you wake up the Kindle. Also, if you exit a book, navigate to another area, such as the home page, and then click on that book title, does it not open to the last page you were reading?
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 09:29 AM   #6
ppearce
ppearce began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Just out of curiosity... when you say you cannot bookmark, do you mean that literally, i.e. Alt + B, or selecting add a bookmark from the menu? If you simply leave the book, allowing the Kindle to go to sleep, the same page you were last reading should reappear when you wake up the Kindle. Also, if you exit a book, navigate to another area, such as the home page, and then click on that book title, does it not open to the last page you were reading?
If I let it go to sleep, it does not re-open at the same page I was last reading.
If I exit the book and navigate to the home page, then click the book title, it goes to the book cover.
I have not attempted to literally bookmark the page before exiting. I'll try that and see.
Thanks.
ppearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:44 AM   #7
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
What you're describing is not normal behavior. Try doing a Restart (not Reset to Factory Defaults!), Home/Menu/Settings/Menu/Restart. This may solve your issue. If not I would suggest contacting Kindle CS. They may help you troubleshoot it or just send you a new one.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:23 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

If this is only occurring with some books, mostly those in the public domain, then it could very well be an issue with the books and not the Kindle. It is possible that whoever converted the books to MOBI did such a bad job that they don't work correctly. Some free book sites have a notorious reputation for having badly formatted books. The books you find here on MR a usually well formatted.