Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #526
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Francois_C and Tachikoma have you read this thread? Maybe that can help you.

I am currently using a Mini and the behaviours you're describing never happened to me. The battery is very strong in fact and holding on for weeks. I hope the thread will help you
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #527
Tachikoma
Connoisseur
Tachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Francois_C and Tachikoma have you read this thread? Maybe that can help you.

I am currently using a Mini and the behaviours you're describing never happened to me. The battery is very strong in fact and holding on for weeks. I hope the thread will help you
Thanks!

Been following that thread since the start, I don't have the sudden drain problem, my battery lasts a good week with around 3-4 hours reading a day with the light on full, it's just that I have no idea how much battery I have left when I check the device. I charge it weekly as a matter of course, but I keep getting caught out by the device telling me it should be good for another few days, then it shutting down.

I was wondering if it was due to the cold weather we have been having for the last few months, and the battery was just dying due to the low temperature, but even in the house I can see random battery reports and it suddenly dropping impossible amounts.

I mix and match between Kobo store books and random Project Guttenburg style free classics, so I can't really pin it down to "it only does it with sideloaded ePubs" And as I commute a good 5 hours a day, I need the Glo too much to really do similar experiments as in that thread.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #528
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One quick thought Tachikoma, have you done at least two full charge/full discharge cycles? It's supposed to help the calibration process.
Regarding the thread, if you don't have a sudden battery drain, your cover should not be the culprit (it's now believed that a cover interfering while the device is entering sleep mode is the cause of the drain).
Old 04-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #529
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
same here: my second device is just over two weeks old, and still showing 50% from the first charge - though obviously the battery is brand new. WIFI is generally off, but I have synced online twice to download new books.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #530
Tachikoma
Connoisseur
Tachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Quote:
One quick thought Tachikoma, have you done at least two full charge/full discharge cycles? It's supposed to help the calibration process.
Regarding the thread, if you don't have a sudden battery drain, your cover should not be the culprit (it's now believed that a cover interfering while the device is entering sleep mode is the cause of the drain).
Of course, I have been caught out by the battery reporting too many times not to have done a full cycle.

Definitely don't have the battery drain problem, Glo has been sat idle for 2 days as I'm off sick and it's still saying 100% while being unused.

But, I know as soon as I get back to work and using it 3-5 hours a day that I won't have any idea what the actual battery life will be until it dies.

I did a test on Saturday, device said 56% battery, I did a sync and within the 3 minutes it took to sync, it dropped to 32% battery life...
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #531
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Select a preferred rendering engine for sideloaded epub

Add an option to select a preferred rendering engine for sideloaded epubs.
So a user is able to use either
1. the Kepub rendering engine
2. Adobe Digital Editions Mobile rendering engine (default setting)

Offcourse, a preference set by the user will be overruled if a sideloaded epub is protected with Adobe DRM, then Adobe's rendering engine will be used.
And yes I am aware that using the kepub rendering engine on sideloaded epubs has it limitations. Not all features of original Kobo kepubs are available (or will work properly) on a sideloaded epub.

But after reading this forum i learned that there are lots of users here that are interested using some features of kepubs (e.g. show book and chapter title, the number of pages of a chapter) but don't want it to do manually or let alone hacking their device.
It will enhance the user experience (features not offered by other competitor hardware vendors) and also ties the user to the Kobo eco system and may stimulate Kobo's book sales.

Last edited by Anak; 04-17-2013 at 05:50 AM. Reason: edit
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:24 AM   #532
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Auto switch between connected and charging mode without fysically removing USB cable

If the Kobo is connected to the computer using a USB cable, there are two options.

1. charging mode by pressing the cancel button (device is fully accessable)
2. connect to computer to transfer books (device becomes a mass storage device)

When you select option two to transfer books and when your're done choose to safely remove usb hardware devices by pressing the appropriate button in the OS taskbar or Kobo desktop software the device doesn't switch from connected mode (option 2, mentioned here above) to charging mode (option 1). Unfortunate, to gain normal access to the device you'll have to fysically remove the usb cable.

Adapt the firmware to switch between charging and connection mode if the option "safely remove usb hardware devices" is chosen, without fysically removing the usb cable.
This also improves the rendering speed of the several cover images sizes for the home screen, library, book details etc.
Especially when you load quite alot of books at once.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #533
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Not sure if this has been mentioned before...

I'd love it if we could manually define an ePub as a Newspaper/Magazine. It'd be great if my various news sources in Calibre could end up in the News/Magazine section as it'd be a far more accurate description of the contents of the books.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:00 PM   #534
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My request is every known bug fixed without any new bugs introduced.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:05 AM   #535
samhy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned before...

I'd love it if we could manually define an ePub as a Newspaper/Magazine. It'd be great if my various news sources in Calibre could end up in the News/Magazine section as it'd be a far more accurate description of the contents of the books.
The Sony 650 behaves like that and that's really neat indeed.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:04 AM   #536
lsmod
lsmod began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois_C View Post
I am a rater longtime user and I think the Kobo Touch is not a tablet; it is a kind of portable library. A very specialized gadget.
The Kobo Touch is not powerful enough to become an all-purpose device. The processor and the display can not allow it.
Of course the Kobo Touch is a tablet device - it's a spezialized one!
The main function is reading ebooks, but i didn't buy it when this would be the only thing i can do!
I better buy an cheap Android tablet and use it for reading.

Why WLAN and a browser with the possibility of internet access is implemented, when this should not be used?
Then you can sell it without this hardware for a price that is more attractive.

I don't want to work on my email correspondence with the Kobo (the keyboard is working to worse for it ), but i want to have the possibility to have a quick view if there is something relevant new.
This is an really comfortable advantage for a device that has internet access. For much people this could be a reason to buy this device and not the competition one.
I don't want to take my PC or another tablet device for a quick look, when i have a device in my hands with integrated internet access!

Last edited by lsmod; 04-19-2013 at 03:07 AM.
lsmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:11 AM   #537
lsmod
lsmod began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
Definitely don't have the battery drain problem, Glo has been sat idle for 2 days as I'm off sick and it's still saying 100% while being unused.
I did a test on Saturday, device said 56% battery, I did a sync and within the 3 minutes it took to sync, it dropped to 32% battery life...
It' the same problem with the Kobo touch!.

Just forget the battery status, you can better read tea leaves!
lsmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #538
fxp33
Addict
fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD, kindle paperwhite
Hi,

Adding multiple columns for shelves would be great.

Someone said that it would nevertheless be complicated for long shelves names...

François

Last edited by fxp33; 04-19-2013 at 02:23 PM.
fxp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #539
Caramon77
Enthusiast
Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Please, please, please, add an option (in the menu or where you want) to know how many "Adobely counted" pages are there in a Kepub. I really like pages per chapter, but i would also like how big the book is! Kbs is not enough, images are big, but aren't pages.
Caramon77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #540
samhy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramon77 View Post
Please, please, please, add an option (in the menu or where you want) to know how many "Adobely counted" pages are there in a Kepub. I really like pages per chapter, but i would also like how big the book is! Kbs is not enough, images are big, but aren't pages.
If you're using Calibre, there is a plugin to get an estimated page number. Just in case Kobo isn't providing this option in the near future

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo