Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 03-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
Mike Kellner
Mike Kellner began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
[Old Thread] My Android tells me I need a reader when I try to read a book

I just installed Calibre Companion on Android and I got it to transfer a book over wifi from Calibre, but when I try to read the book, it gives me an error message saying I need a reader. That seems kinda odd because Calibre Companion is a reader.

Any ideas what I do next?

JFTR, I have a Nexus 7 & Android 4.2.2 with everything set to auto update.
Mike Kellner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Welcome

Unless a new feature's been added since I used it last Calibre Companion does not contain a reader, it's for transferring/managing books. You need a reader app such as Moon+, Mantano, Aldiko, Kindle, BlueFire, etc.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Calibre companion is not a reader app. You need to choose a reader app from the many that exist. Which one you choose depends on your personal preference.

There are lots of threads on this forum about which reader apps people prefer. The "higher rated" ones seem to be Moon+, FBReader, Mantano, and Cool Reader, but this list is certainly not exhaustive. Note that your preferred book format will have an impact on which reader app you choose. Some apps support some formats. The most commonly supported is EPUB.

You can get some more information in the CC FAQ category "Reader apps and devices" that can be found at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=188899.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
Mike Kellner

Thanks. That was not clear from the site. I have been doing computers since punch cards but just got an Android tablet and iPhone in the last few months. I am slowly figuring it all out.

I am going to mostly use of to epub, I like to read old stuff and Gutenberg is my favorite source.

Is one of the free apps better for epub?

Stuff I buy will be from Google or Amazon and they have their own systems, and the prices are so high, I get the paper books.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:11 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Most of the free apps support epub.

Which app to use is a very personal choice. People choose apps for a lot of reasons varying from color schemes to option layout to syncing ability.

There have been several discussions on this forum about which reader is preferred. For example:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190532
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=188321

There are also many threads in the Android forum: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=225

FWIW: I started with fbreader and now use moon+ pro. I made the switch because moon+ supports position syncing between my devices. The free version did everything I needed, but I bought it to support the developer.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
FWIW: I started with fbreader and now use moon+ pro. I made the switch because moon+ supports position syncing between my devices. The free version did everything I needed, but I bought it to support the developer.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:09 AM   #7
Mike Kellner

Thanks for the help everyone. Sped up the process considerably. Much appreciated.

I am using Moon+ free for now, it seems nice, but I haven't tried any others. I may try a few more on other books. Then I will buy the pay version of the one I like best. I'm an ancient Code Monkey, I believe people should get paid for their work. Odd, hunh?
Old 03-30-2013, 12:54 AM   #8
thekidsmom
Connoisseur
thekidsmom began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab 3, nook, Nexus 7, iPad
I installed CC on my Nexus 7 a few days ago. Every thing was 100% perfect. Until tonight, when I pulled a Barnes/Noble book over from Calibre on my laptop and got the 'you must install an reader app' when I tried to open the book. I've been using MoonReader+ for the previously loaded books and it's all good.

I can still read all other books I pulled over previously, except for this one. I also am now getting 'this book has DRM' on another book. I have the appropriate plugins installed so that I normally don't get that message.

Any ideas? I'm new to CC and Nexus, so this is no doubt pilot error.
thekidsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:34 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekidsmom View Post
I installed CC on my Nexus 7 a few days ago. Every thing was 100% perfect. Until tonight, when I pulled a Barnes/Noble book over from Calibre on my laptop and got the 'you must install an reader app' when I tried to open the book. I've been using MoonReader+ for the previously loaded books and it's all good.
It has nothing to do with CC, you need a reader app to view that book that you don't have currently on your Android device.

Quote:
I can still read all other books I pulled over previously, except for this one.
What type of book is it? What is the extension on the book?

Quote:
I also am now getting 'this book has DRM' on another book. I have the appropriate plugins installed so that I normally don't get that message.
If it says it has DRM then it does have DRM and you need an appropriate reading app to read that book. Neither calibre nor calibre companion can correct that. Since detailed instructions on DRM removal are not permitted on this board, if you think you have plugins installed for this then you need to go to the web site where you got the plugins and ask them for help.

Good Luck.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:52 AM   #10
thekidsmom
Connoisseur
thekidsmom began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab 3, nook, Nexus 7, iPad
Thanks, Walt for your advice. As expected, this was totally user error.

#1; I had updated my AprenticeAlf, et al plugin bundle and had not customized my Barnes and Noble info inside the new version and
#2; I had not converted the Kindle book to epub prior to attempting to read via Moonreader.

As they say, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and I am continually in over my head with Calibre. But I'm having fun learning how to stay afloat.
thekidsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:02 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Thanks, Walt for your advice.
You're welcome. I'm glad you sorted it all out.

Quote:
As expected, this was totally user error.
We've all been there.

Quote:
#1; I had updated my AprenticeAlf, et al plugin bundle and had not customized my Barnes and Noble info inside the new version
The plugin bundle is great to ensure books you buy can be read on any device you own.

Quote:
#2; I had not converted the Kindle book to epub prior to attempting to read via Moonreader.
I use Calibre Companion combined with Moon+ Reader Pro and love it.

Quote:
As they say, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and I am continually in over my head with Calibre. But I'm having fun learning how to stay afloat.
Calibre's development is so rapid that if you blink you miss the addition of another new feature. There are entire sections of calibre that I realize are beyond my needs so I acknowledge them and move on. Doing this allows me to swim in the shallow end and keep my head above water.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #12
sarafina
sarafina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarafina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarafina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarafina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarafina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarafina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarafina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarafina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarafina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarafina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sarafina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Le Pan, Note 2
Am I the only person around who thinks it's a bit crazy that CC has no reader integrated in it?

Until it does I'll stay with moon pro... I want simpler and better, not more and conflicting...

Really disappointed when I twigged to the 'no reader' issue with CC
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Am I the only person around who thinks it's a bit crazy that CC has no reader integrated in it?

Until it does I'll stay with moon pro... I want simpler and better, not more and conflicting...

Really disappointed when I twigged to the 'no reader' issue with CC
Yes.

There are 67 favorite readers for Android. You get to choose YOUR OWN.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Yes. There are a boatload of reading programs for Android, but only one full functioning book manager that integrates with calibre as a device.

Quote:
I use Moon+reader Pro too. You say you'll stick with Moon Pro like they are mutually exclusive. Using CC to manage the books with calibre and launch the reader of your choice (in this case Moon Pro) is "simpler and better."

Even Moon+reader Pro is limited, if I want to view a PDF Moon Pro isn't quite there yet so I choose a different reader from CC. If I want to view a CBR I open a third reader to view those. CC also lets me automatically store each of those book types in different folders.

Calibre Companion is the simple choice to manage your reading on a Android device.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:44 AM   #15
user743
Addict
user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kindle PW2 special offers removed by Amazon for FREE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kellner View Post
Thanks for the help everyone. Sped up the process considerably. Much appreciated.

I am using Moon+ free for now, it seems nice, but I haven't tried any others. I may try a few more on other books. Then I will buy the pay version of the one I like best. I'm an ancient Code Monkey, I believe people should get paid for their work. Odd, hunh?
just because it's free doesn't mean the app 'publisher' isn't benefiting from your download. they can benefit in the following ways
  • you'll buy the app
  • you'll buy other products thru the app
  • you'll become more likely to buy other apps or products from this company (in your mind they'll be considered 'trusted')
user743 is offline   Reply With Quote