Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Bluetooth Headsets for Audiobooks

My Itouch, Nano 7th gen and Nook HD all have bluetooth options for headsets so that I can listen to audiobooks. I'm looking for something that I can use while driving (one ear only) long distances. What features am I looking for besides noise cancelling? Recommendations?

Note: I can't put it through the regular speakers. My pre-millenium mini-van has incredible road noise when on the freeway.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I was just searching for something similar. I'd love to listen while I'm walking places, but wired headphones get caught on my clothes, and I didn't care for any of the bluetooth headphones I've looked at. Especially now that it's gotten cold out, I don't want anything behind the head, or that has a cord going from left to right. I think a single-ear device would be best for me.

For the OP, I would suggest trying the bluetooth speaker from Boombotix. This is the one I purchased a few months ago:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a powerful little speaker. I use it in the house. I think it would be perfect for driving, and should be plenty loud enough over your loud engine.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Noise cancelling isn't what you want if you are driving. You want to hear traffic noises. I looked around when I wanted to listen to audiobooks in the car and ended up using the new Apple earbuds when I couldn't find anything better.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #4
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Noise cancelling isn't what you want if you are driving. You want to hear traffic noises. I looked around when I wanted to listen to audiobooks in the car and ended up using the new Apple earbuds when I couldn't find anything better.
Keep in mind that driving with headphones is illegal in many places. One-ear hands-free headsets like the OP describes are more often permitted, though.

I was just poking my head around for a bluetooth gaming headset today, but most with surround-sound are pricey and I have plenty of higher priorities.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:13 AM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Are there one-ear Bluetooth headsets that have the features of the Apple iPhone earbuds - answering the phone, pausing playback, and so on? I don't know what search terms to use to find this.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2013, 12:23 AM   #6
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I guess what I'm trying to find out is whether the one ear headsets designed for smartphones will also work with a non-phone device?? The state patrol says that I can have it in one ear only. The other ear has to be available to hear sirens, which, frankly, I can't hear anyway until they are nearly upon me.

I currently use sport earphones from JVC. They work great, but I wanted something without wires because they get all tangled up in the seat belt.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:23 AM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
How about a bluetooth speaker that clips on the visor in your car?

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:33 AM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I guess what I'm trying to find out is whether the one ear headsets designed for smartphones will also work with a non-phone device??
I don't see why they wouldn't work. Audio is audio.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:50 AM   #9
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I'm with tubemonkey on this. I have a bluetooth headset (stereo, both ears, so not applicable) that pairs with my netbook and cell phone. Do you know anyone with an earpiece you could test out?

Otherwise, just make sure the vendor has a good returns policy, if you're concerned.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:12 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I had a bluetooth earphone once (single ear), but thought it was terrible. Especially if you're in a (loud) car, having a good single earphone (with clarity of sound) is very important if you actually want to hear anything...

@cromag: what earphones do you have? I get tired of always having to untangle my cord...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #11
Debi
Connoisseur
Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Ipad Mini 2, Ipad Air 2
How about asking the long haul truckers. My cousin was on the road for years. He used a bluetooth ear piece to talk on the phone and listen to audiobooks. If you're near a large truck stop you might look there.
Debi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #12
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Single ear, Bluetooth headsets should work with any Bluetooth enabled audio device that they can pair with. Which is just about anything. But before you go too far down that road, you really should consider the possibility of replacing your in-car audio with something that is fully Bluetooth enabled. I put a Sony DSX-S300BTX that I got from Crutchfield in my car that is quite loud (two seater with the top down.) but this, combined with decent speakers, is a far better solution than a single ear device. I listen to my Audible books in the car through the receiver, and it works really, really well. That model is discontinued, but a newer version has replaced it. The combination has been really successful for me. (I still use my Jambone to place calls, but not for anything else. )
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #13
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
My wife just picked up a Jabra ( http://www.amazon.com/Jabra-CRUISER-.../dp/B0043M668G)
She loves it, but only uses it for hands free. From the description of it though, it might suit playing your audiobooks via Blutooth.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #14
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
Not all one-ear headsets will play audiobooks, at least older models. I tried to use my husband's and it wouldn't work. They need to support A2DP. I'm not sure what that means, I just know the two I finally got to work said that. There is something different between streaming over the cell signal and streaming data, if that makes any sense. I'm sorry, I don't have the correct termenology. I have since lost the one I ended up with or I would give its name. I have decided that I prefer a stand-alone speaker.

Oh, the same thing applies to sunvisor models like was suggested. It has to support A2DP to work properly.
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #15
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I had a bluetooth earphone once (single ear), but thought it was terrible. Especially if you're in a (loud) car, having a good single earphone (with clarity of sound) is very important if you actually want to hear anything...

@cromag: what earphones do you have? I get tired of always having to untangle my cord...
Sorry, I missed this.

The ones I've got are JayBird Freedom Stereo Earbuds. They're really a lot more than I need, but they were a present.

On the other hand, they work great!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote