Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 10-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
How to enable HTML in signature

I noticed that many of the older members and moderators are able to use html code in their signature blocks but mine is set to No. I simply wanted to embed my Goodreads and LibraryThing links using the <a href> </a> functions but I'm unable to do that (it displays literally) and I am unable to find a switch for turning HTML on in the signature block allowances. Is this an advanced moderator-only feature, or does it require a minimum amount of time of number of posts to enable it?

Sorry if this is addressed elsewhere. I didn't find it.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:47 AM   #2
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Just use bbcode if all youre wanting to do is make links.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:22 AM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Is this what you are trying to do? -->

I broke the last IMG and URL so you can see what I did. I just used the goodreads home page as the destination.

[URL="http://www.goodreads.com/"][IMG]http://www.goodreads.com/images/badge/badge1.jpg[ /IMG][ /URL]
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:19 AM   #4
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you, @dreams! I'm not up on the use of bbcode or html code. I had wanted to 'embed' a url link without the literal url as so many others have done, so I asked Firefox to show me the source code for how to do that and it came up with the <a href> formatting so I tried that and it didn't work. The bbcode works fine. Learned something today!

Thanks again!
Old 10-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #5
Kubizo
Connoisseur
Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.

Device: Kindle 3 B008 3.1
I saw someone here with a button that reveals a "spoiler" about Schroedinger's cat in the signature... Just for curiosity, I would love to know how you can do that. Pretty sure not with BBcode...

Ciao!
Kubizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:36 PM   #6
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubizo View Post
I saw someone here with a button that reveals a "spoiler" about Schroedinger's cat in the signature... Just for curiosity, I would love to know how you can do that. Pretty sure not with BBcode...

Ciao!
Check out the MobileRead BB Code List. Spoiler is listed.

*edit* Certain BB codes are only allowed in certain places.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 10-02-2011 at 11:49 PM.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:31 PM   #7
Kubizo
Connoisseur
Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.

Device: Kindle 3 B008 3.1
Wow, that's a lot more BBcode than on most forums! Thanks!
Kubizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:45 PM   #8
mldavis2
Coffee Nut

Interestingly, when you have your browser reveal the 'source code' for the resulting displayed text, it reverts back to the html format that is, now obviously, generated by the bbcode. I've never used bbcode for anything, just html, and it wasn't apparent why html wasn't working unless I had a restriction from using it. bbcode is easier.

Thanks again for the information, and thanks to @wetdogeared for the FAQ link to acceptable bbcode for the forum.

You guys rock!
Old 10-04-2011, 04:47 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mldavis2 View Post
Interestingly, when you have your browser reveal the 'source code' for the resulting displayed text, it reverts back to the html format that is, now obviously, generated by the bbcode. I've never used bbcode for anything, just html, and it wasn't apparent why html wasn't working unless I had a restriction from using it. bbcode is easier.

Thanks again for the information, and thanks to @wetdogeared for the FAQ link to acceptable bbcode for the forum.

You guys rock!
It is not reverting back. The forum and for that matter the wiki is converted to html on the way to the browser using the forum or wiki engine. This is a feature of the engine software. The browser does not understand forum or wiki language. It only understands html.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:31 PM   #10
mldavis2
Coffee Nut

Thanks @DaleDe. I used to program back in DOS days in C++ but gave up when Windows and OOP took over and I had no time to learn, no money and my compilers were obsolete. I've used html a little bit for simple things like the signature I was trying to re-work but I've never used bbcode, nor did I have a clue how to use it. I noted that html at the bottom of the "Allowed" window was "no" but didn't know it wouldn't work or that bbcode was available for the same purpose. I'm no novice to forums but this is the first time I've wanted to tweak a signature.

Like I said, I learned a bunch and I appreciate the help!