Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 05-02-2010, 09:58 AM   #1
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Questions before I jump to Lbook firmware

Hi

I was hoping that someone could answer these questions I have, as I'd like to try the Lbook firmware, but don't want to make the leap ill prepared and be disappointed.

1) I'm using firmware V2.10ASTAK.091104 and to be honest, I find it rock solid. I can't find my original backup of this firmware. Does anyone have this firmware backed up and are able to give me a link to download it again for safe keeping?

2) Can you delete files using the Lbook firmware?

3) Can I still read PDFs with pdf reflow using the Lbook firmware?

4) I read a lot of library books from the overdrive library via ADE. Is this compatible with the Lbook firmware? Do I need to re-register the device with ADE if it is?

5) Are there any bugs I should be aware of that reduce battery life or speed compared to the firmware I'm used to?

6) Where do I download the latest version of the Lbook firmware that has english language options and menus?

Thanks!
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:15 AM   #2
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
Hi

I was hoping that someone could answer these questions I have, as I'd like to try the Lbook firmware, but don't want to make the leap ill prepared and be disappointed.

1) I'm using firmware V2.10ASTAK.091104 and to be honest, I find it rock solid. I can't find my original backup of this firmware. Does anyone have this firmware backed up and are able to give me a link to download it again for safe keeping?

2) Can you delete files using the Lbook firmware?

3) Can I still read PDFs with pdf reflow using the Lbook firmware?

4) I read a lot of library books from the overdrive library via ADE. Is this compatible with the Lbook firmware? Do I need to re-register the device with ADE if it is?

5) Are there any bugs I should be aware of that reduce battery life or speed compared to the firmware I'm used to?

6) Where do I download the latest version of the Lbook firmware that has english language options and menus?

Thanks!
Astak maintains a library of older firmware at http://www.astak.com/downloadcenter.asp. The oldest one I saw there was from December.

You can delete files using the LBook firmware and PDFs work with no problem.

ADE is compatible with LBook and the files put on your reader for ADE are not in the part of the storage that is flashed with firmware.

The first English language menus version of LBook firmware that I saw was 20 April 2010. I don't have the link right at hand, but if you look down the forum page, you'll find the links in the discussions about the firmware. You should know that these versions are beta and may have bugs in them, depending on what you want to do. My reader has been rock solid reading ePubs and fb2 formats, but I have the older firmware on my card, just in case I find a bug while I'm traveling.

Overall, I find the version of LBook that I'm using to be fast and solid. I'm not having any problems with battery life.

These readers are really easy to flash, so I'd say try it for a few days and see if you like it. If it doesn't suit you, you can always go back to the Astak version. It's not really much of a leap to try it, since flashing the firmware does nothing to the files on your reader and takes all of three minutes to complete.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
I dont remember who posted this site a while back, but they have every firm that has been released for Jinke, Lbook and Astak.

http://www.kaser.com/ebooks.html

The only problem I am having with Lbook firmware is that I can't set time and date, but I am not sure if this is just my device since I having so many problem with it.
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
Astak maintains a library of older firmware at http://www.astak.com/downloadcenter.asp. The oldest one I saw there was from December.

You can delete files using the LBook firmware and PDFs work with no problem.

ADE is compatible with LBook and the files put on your reader for ADE are not in the part of the storage that is flashed with firmware.

The first English language menus version of LBook firmware that I saw was 20 April 2010. I don't have the link right at hand, but if you look down the forum page, you'll find the links in the discussions about the firmware. You should know that these versions are beta and may have bugs in them, depending on what you want to do. My reader has been rock solid reading ePubs and fb2 formats, but I have the older firmware on my card, just in case I find a bug while I'm traveling.

Overall, I find the version of LBook that I'm using to be fast and solid. I'm not having any problems with battery life.

These readers are really easy to flash, so I'd say try it for a few days and see if you like it. If it doesn't suit you, you can always go back to the Astak version. It's not really much of a leap to try it, since flashing the firmware does nothing to the files on your reader and takes all of three minutes to complete.
I have been using the V 2.02UK.100201 version with no charge problem. Read a ADE edition bought at MyEZRead
PDF and EPUB are just about the only format I read (I convert others with Calibre and cleanup with Sigil).
Having a up-to-date Lbook instruction manual would help immensely.
Mostly, it has been poke and hope with features that work different from the ASTAK FW.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #5
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've given the Lbook firmware a go and for what I use it for, pdfs and ade epubs, it seems fine - with the huge additional fact that I can delete a file after I've read it!!

I'll be sticking with this firmware for a while I think
Advert
Old 05-02-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just don't understand "Deleting a Book", just because you read it (Looking about, seeing stacks of P-backs everywhere).

I would love to be able to "Remove Entry" from the "Recently read" list.
Is it just me? I tend to be reading a number of books at the same time. I would like the list to shrink on demand (and be able to purge mistakenly opened titles).
Old 05-02-2010, 02:44 PM   #7
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I just don't understand "Deleting a Book", just because you read it (Looking about, seeing stacks of P-backs everywhere).
Delete if after you copy it elsewhere. The archive never dies.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:50 PM   #8
omro
Addict

I always have backups of my books ;-)

However, I read a lot of blog posts. What I tend to do is this: while watching TV save the blog posts to PDF and then copy them to the PPro and read them while commuting the next day on the bus. The ability to delete an article I've read just makes things tidier.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
Delete if after you copy it elsewhere. The archive never dies.
Got those, also :P

One thing I love about my PEz, is that I can have my full e-book Library always with me.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:54 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
I always have backups of my books ;-)

However, I read a lot of blog posts. What I tend to do is this: while watching TV save the blog posts to PDF and then copy them to the PPro and read them while commuting the next day on the bus. The ability to delete an article I've read just makes things tidier.
That I understand.

Periodicals (Blogs) are mostly out dated in a short time.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:26 PM   #11
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblem View Post
I dont remember who posted this site a while back, but they have every firm that has been released for Jinke, Lbook and Astak.

http://www.kaser.com/ebooks.html

The only problem I am having with Lbook firmware is that I can't set time and date, but I am not sure if this is just my device since I having so many problem with it.
That would be my site, and not quite EVERY firmware release (certainly not for Lbook, although I do try to grab every Jinke and Astak release). Both the Jinke and Astak releases for early November 2009 are available there. The latest official LBook release (April 19, 2010) is also there, which is the release I'm currently using on my PEZ.
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:23 PM   #12
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I think most people think of it as an organizational thing rather than a space issue. Presumably there's still an "original" copy on your PC somewhere of everything.

An even more viable option for me would be a "cut" and "paste" file move option. They have an option to copy to the unit's own memory but that's kind of dumb when you have a huge memory card sitting around. I'd much rather keep an "archive" area on the card and be able to cut something from one directory and paste it down elsewhere.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:26 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
I think most people think of it as an organizational thing rather than a space issue. Presumably there's still an "original" copy on your PC somewhere of everything.

An even more viable option for me would be a "cut" and "paste" file move option. They have an option to copy to the unit's own memory but that's kind of dumb when you have a huge memory card sitting around. I'd much rather keep an "archive" area on the card and be able to cut something from one directory and paste it down elsewhere.
copy works both ways and you can always delete the original after a copy.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:01 AM   #14
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
They have an option to copy to the unit's own memory but that's kind of dumb when you have a huge memory card sitting around.
Since reading directly from the SD card is just a waste of battery power, I like to copy current reading selections to the internal memory for reading and then delete them from internal memory when finished. The current file options work just fine for that. Even more flexibility would be even better though.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:16 PM   #15
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Since reading directly from the SD card is just a waste of battery power, I like to copy current reading selections to the internal memory for reading and then delete them from internal memory when finished. The current file options work just fine for that. Even more flexibility would be even better though.
Reading from the SD card drains the battery quicker?
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote